Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat: No pain meds after a spay?

Options
  • 13-10-2010 7:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭

We just brought our kitten home from the vet today after being spayed and were not given any meds as the vet said that she had been given a 3 day long lasting painkiller earlier.

The thing is she really does seem to be in an awful lot of pain. Can she be given supplemental pain meds as well if you ask the vet to prescribe them? I know with our dog we were given tablets to give her after too.

I know that when we got our male done the 3 day thing was fine for him and he seemed grand but thats a much smaller op than a spay!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭Heroditas

It always takes females a good bit longer to get over the operation.
    She'll seem in a lot of distress and pain this evening but trust me, she'll be a good bit better in the morning. She'll also be a good bit disorientated from the anaesthetic.
    A good night's sleep and she'll be a bit perkier tomorrow.
    Just be there this evening to give her plenty of attention if she wants it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭cucoigcrice

This pain medication which was given will last the three days, if u give anything else along with this it will cause the cat to overdose. It is mainly the anaesthetic wearing off that is causing her to act like this. I would let her sleep tonight and she should be alot better tomorrow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Does the pain med last three days? I didn't think a pain med could realisticly last that long they usually give them one that will last 12-24 hours. In my experience of having dogs and cats spayed the pain med given always wore off within 24 hrs.
    She could just be feeling, as said, a bit off and will still be a bit sore. Just keep her warm and if you are worried by tomorow that she is becoming distressed have a word with the vet and see if she needs a top up.

Some animals react different to spays some it doesn't take a feather out of them and others it can take a couple of days to recover and start feeling better, it's a routine op but still a big op so she might be off form for a few days and a tad groggy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

My dog was spayed around christmas last year, the vet gave what he called a slow release pain killer, said it lasted 5 days, gave me about 5 days worth of tabs too just encase she was still sore, as it was christmas and we were going away. He said on no account to give the pills before the 5th day, as that was when the shot he gave would be waring off.
    Also have a cat with a broken leg at the mo, vet gave him a shot of painkiller that lasted 3 days then tablets from then on.
    So I'm sure what your vet said was true. You have to allow for the effect of the anaesthetic, and the shock of the blood loss etc. give the cat a chance, if she still seems bad tomorrow maybe call and check with the vet.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭hadook

Pain isn't always a bad thing & can be a reminder to your pet not to exert themselves over the first couple of days. Obviously excessive pain means a trip back to the vets.

We had a cat spayed years ago and she came home with extra painkillers which we dutifully gave. She obviously felt great because the next thing we know she's taken a flying leap up the curtains and popped her stitches. :rolleyes: These days I'm much happier to see recently spayed cats lying quietly in a bed for that first night until the anesthetic wears off.

How's your cat doing this morning Susannahmia? They're usually raring to go the next day leaving you wondering why you worried :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Susannahmia

hadook wrote: »
    Pain isn't always a bad thing & can be a reminder to your pet not to exert themselves over the first couple of days. Obviously excessive pain means a trip back to the vets.

We had a cat spayed years ago and she came home with extra painkillers which we dutifully gave. She obviously felt great because the next thing we know she's taken a flying leap up the curtains and popped her stitches. :rolleyes: These days I'm much happier to see recently spayed cats lying quietly in a bed for that first night until the anesthetic wears off.

How's your cat doing this morning Susannahmia? They're usually raring to go the next day leaving you wondering why you worried :)

Yeah I think your right. Today she seems much better obviously still very sore but moving around more and in much better form altogether. Thankfully not swinging from any curtains yet!:)

If she stays like this I wont bother asking for extra meds. Thanks guys for the advice was very worried.

Advertisement