Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sick Corn Snake

Options
  • 07-05-2009 1:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Hey,

I've had my snake for about two years now, which i got as a baby from Whackers. He never took to food enthusiastically, would never grab or strike like i have seen all others do when hungry. He would sniff around for a while before deciding to eat. But he did eat and keep it down (with the occassional exception) up until about Christmas just gone. So, the guy in Boardwalk recommended electrolyte powder as a boost and he began feeding again, but still never as vigorusly as other snakes. I did mention i thought he was quite small and it was said all snakes are individual in their size and eating habits, and he was probably just a fussy and a runt!?

However, he stopped eating 6 weeks ago again. Over that time he would sniff the food and leave it or not bother at all. I tried all suggestions like coaxing him to eat by squishing the fuzzy head, trying to put it into his mouth, but nothing works. He did attempt to eat just twice but regurgitated the food each time. I went to Whackers and explained all to the young girl there, who told me it was probably brumation given the time of year and not to worry, this could last up to 9 months, which of course i didn't buy.

But also last week he seemed to be swelling at the mid section so I called Ben (who is really just brilliant for support/advice) at Reptile Haven and explained all to him. He explained that at 2 years he may be looking for a female, and should be active, but as he wasn't active at all and there was swelling, that he would have a look at him for me.

So, as i suspected, he is too small for 2 years, that he is the size of a 1 year old. Ben recommended John Bainbridge, who i am waiting to see on Monday (was on leave) and reckons one of two things could be wrong; and infection: cryptosporidiosis (i think) which was probably dormant since he was a baby and getting worse as he matures, and causing him to vomit the food up, or that he could have had a twisted intestine since infancy which has tightened/worsened as he grew, or that the cryptosporidiosis induced vomiting has caused the twisted intestine. I undestand the infection could be tresated but the second cannot? I will find out on Monday, but I am just wondering if anyone has ever had the same problems, and if so, can the intestinal problem be treated? Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Sorry not had this problem - John is a brilliant vet tho.

Let us know how you get on.

Advertisement