Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice after giving up eating my nails

Options
  • 17-10-2014 11:07pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey everyone :)

After over 30 years, I decided two weeks ago to stop eating my nails.

My approach so far has been to go for a "file and paint" manicure every week, use lots of cuticle oil and handcream every night, do some cuticle trimming myself every couple of days etc.

Years of eating my nails and neglecting my hands mean that about half of my nails don't have the white base (the little semi circle at the bottom of the nail) so for the minute it's all about softening the skin around them so that it can be pushed back more to expose the nail bed (I think that's what the white semi circle bit is called)

It seems to be working, the weekly file and paint is keeping my nails in shape (they grow fast, and in the past when I stopped I hated their shape and didn't know how to deal with them) and I've what I call nailbeds now there or beginning to be there on eight out of ten nails.

I'm wondering is there anything else I should be doing here? In about another two weeks I'd hope to have nails up to my fingertips, and I'm thinking at that stage i'm going to switch from plain to coloured varnish but keep this up?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Hey! I was in your shoes a few years ago, was a nail biter all my life and then one day I just decided to stop! I saw all my friends with pretty nail varnish colours and manicures and then would look at my chewed paws and hide them in disgust!
    What helped me along the way was rubbing almond oil all over my hands and nails at night, it's really cheap only like €2 in health shop, then I would wear latex gloves for about an hour and let it soak in and absorb. Sounds weird but it worked a treat and the gloves also were good in stopping me biting!
    Not only had I the softest hands ever but my nails to this day are in great condition and my friends can't believe how good they've turned out after all the years of abuse!
    They are strong and healthy (bar one lol) and I put it down to that ritual. Even if you don't bother with the almond oil I would strongly suggest wearing the latex gloves for an hour every night after rubbing in whatever cream or oil you choose, it really helps. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭amandaf675

Regular maniucres are your best bet. Making sure to use alot of cuticle cream to soften them and cuticle oil after varnish to nourish them.
    What anna080 is describing is a very good treatment, its a thermal treatment as such. The heat from wearing the gloves helps the skin and nails absorb the nutrients in the almond oil.

If you can, get a decent cuticle cream, I use the skintruth range, its about 4euro for the bottle but it will last a very long time. Put this in, rub it into the cuticles then place them in a bowl of luke warm water. It helps soften the skin. Then dry hands. Make sure to keep your cuticle pushed back because it can cause your nails to weaken. If you can, buy a hoof stick for this. The soft plastic wont damage the cuticle.

Then file nails using an emery board, not a metal file, paint, use a base coat, 2 colour coats and a top coat and then when dry place a drop on cuticle oil on each nail and massage in

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Thanks for the advice:)

Had my third mini manicure today and the lady doing it, whose done the previous two went "OMG great progress, I can shape them now" :)

I got the almond oil and gloves so will do that and I think I have a hoof stick, is it the tool that is hoof shaped at one end and a bit pointy at the other? You use the flatter end to push back the cuticles?

haven't had a chance to get cuticle cream yet, but thought I'd attach a couple of photos, after todays manicure I went out and bought red nail polish to see what it's like, so photo one is the plain polish and two is the red.

Does the red look ridiculous as the nails are so short? Try and ignore the crap paint job :)

I'm dead chuffed with the plain nails after only two weeks of not biting them :)

Anyway, here's a pic of my nails today given that two weeks ago they were bitten to the quick and raw I think it's good progress

You use te hood shaped rubber end to push back the cuticles. Use it in small circular motions

• Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Great progress! Try to avoid the cuticle when painting your nails, even if it means a tiny unpainted bit of nail - a wider brush will help to achieve this. The reason I say this is that I find nail varnish has a drying effect on the cuticle skin.
    Keep up the good work :)

• Advertisement

The essence polish have a great brush! Nice shape and nice and wide

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

well done on deciding to quit:)

my daughter used to bite her nails. just stopped cold turkey a year ago. she has beautiful nails now.
    the secret is to keep them looking well. file them if any bit breaks, more inclined to pick at them if there are rough spots.

yours are looking great after such a short time. keep up the good work, it'll be well worth it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Am back looking for more advice :)

So I've gotten into the nightly habit of pouring almond oil all over my hands, putting on latex gloves and massaging it into my nails through the gloves.

I have to say that it already seems to be making a difference hands are softer and nails seem to be quite strong.

After that I use the hoof thing to push back the cuticle, and whereas before I used try to peel all the cuticle skin off, I just remove that part of the cuticle that seems stuck to the nail, so it exposes more of the nail bed and helps loosen the cuticle more.

Am I on the right track here?

Next I'll need to learn how to shape/file my nails, at the minute I'm getting weekly file and paint manicures, but I was quite pleased earlier this week when one broke and I was able to file away the roughness. Need to get better though.

Always file from the outside to centre, each side alternitavely

Am back with another question :)

It appears my nails grow quite quickly, compared to the pic I put up 9 days ago, and after another manicure, they are about a quarter longer.

My current problem is that as they are growing they are biting into my skin and causing my skin to rip.

Is it just a case of putting up with them growing beyond a point where this won't happen? I get them manicured with rounded ends, but as they grow longer and longer it's a little painful.

Thanks as always :)

• Advertisement

Tis me again, still nailbiting free, and considering giving up the fags, as five weeks ago, nails were an essential part of my diet :D

Anyway I now have groomed nails, albeit short but getting there.

I'm half thinking of stopping the weekly mini mani and giving it a go myself.

It seems to go

1. Soak fingers/nails
    2. Use hoof to push back cuticles
    3. trim with cuticle cutter
    4. Shape nail
    5. Buff
    6. Polish (I'm still on clear polish)

Does that sound right? I'm rubbish at shaping, but discovered that if I use a very thin emery wood emery board compared to those massive thick filing tools the pros use I do ok

• Registered Users Posts: 13,383 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

That half-moon bit is called the lunula and not everyone has visible ones, so it's quite possible that you'll never "expose" them, if you know what I mean. I only have them on my thumbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭jeanrose770

Congratulations!
    I was a fellow nail biter and I have 4 years now without the bad habit.
    The constant care and maintenance is great! Gives you pretty results to show the habit that you have knocked.
    Garlic Oil is great for nails. Promotes the growth and strength.
    One day during your manicure while your nails are still bare, rub some garlic oil on your nails and let it soak in. Proceed to wash and then finish your manicure.
    You will notice that after routine use, your nails will strengthen and have a nice healthy growth!
    Stray strong and no chewing!!!

Three months it's been, I'd a shellac manicure today :)

I'm shocked it's only been three months and quite pleased with how my nails are now

My finger beside my thumb had the nail break which is why its so short compared to the rest.

Looking back on the pic I posted two weeks in, I think it's pretty good progress :D

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭flynnser19

ok youve inspired me to do the same!! ive been wearing acrylics for years and theyre always ncie and long when i remove them and then i bite them straight away so time to get rid of the acrylics and start getting manicures!! im a beautician so its a disgrace lol

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Feets

Well done, it is not easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

stheno, they look lovely!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea

Stheno wrote: »
    Three months it's been, I'd a shellac manicure today :)

I'm shocked it's only been three months and quite pleased with how my nails are now

My finger beside my thumb had the nail break which is why its so short compared to the rest.

Looking back on the pic I posted two weeks in, I think it's pretty good progress :D

the difference in your skin even! well done, your nails look great! :)

Advertisement