Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Old Gaol of Kilmainham

Options
  • 24-09-2014 2:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭

I'm looking for some information, any information, about the so-called 'old gaol' that Kilmainham Gaol replaced. I know it was a few hundred metres east of the current site, but can't find any more information than that.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

I would imagine that a visit to Kilmainham Gaol could shed light in this for you. My understanding, and I stand to be corrected, is that the Marshalsea prison preceded Kilmainham. I thought that it was located in the area where the Special Criminal Court is now located in Green Street but Wikipedia says that it was in Bridgefoot Street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭Hownowcow

AndrewJD wrote: »
    I'm looking for some information, any information, about the so-called 'old gaol' that Kilmainham Gaol replaced. I know it was a few hundred metres east of the current site, but can't find any more information than that.

Hello Andrew JD,

Attached is a link to a map of Dublin from 1798. The third space down on the left hand side shows the old and new gaols. The old gaol appears to have been at the junction of Old Kilmainham and Kearn's Place.

http://dublin1798.com/dublin13.htm
    chughes wrote: »
    I would imagine that a visit to Kilmainham Gaol could shed light in this for you. My understanding, and I stand to be corrected, is that the Marshalsea prison preceded Kilmainham. I thought that it was located in the area where the Special Criminal Court is now located in Green Street but Wikipedia says that it was in Bridgefoot Street.

Hello chughes,

The Four Courts Marshalsea was down Marshalsea Lane off Thomas Street beside Bridgefoot Street. It too can be seen on the linked map. The City Marshalsea was on Green Street as far as I can remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

Hownowcow wrote: »
    Hello Andrew JD,

Attached is a link to a map of Dublin from 1798. The third space down on the left hand side shows the old and new gaols. The old gaol appears to have been at the junction of Old Kilmainham and Kearn's Place.

http://dublin1798.com/dublin13.htm

Hello chughes,

The Four Courts Marshalsea was down Marshalsea Lane off Thomas Street beside Bridgefoot Street. It too can be seen on the linked map. The City Marshalsea was on Green Street as far as I can remember.

Part of the walls of this remain (as does a locked off laneway, 'Marshalsea Lane') - Both of which could be considered to be at risk from future development

Advertisement