Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

milk bottle tops

Options
  • 05-09-2014 7:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

My friend has being collecting milk bottle tops in the hopes of getting a wheelchair for her stepdaughter.
    Now it seems she is unsure where to send them. We are now wondering if the milk bottle top for wheelchairs scheme exists or if it's a urban legend

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Eph1958

Friend of mine was collecting them for ages but never found anyone who takes them. It was apparently for someone who needed a w/c too. Never got to the end of it but the tops eventually went into the recycle bin.

Eph

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 fnietzsche

corkmommy wrote: »
    My friend has being collecting milk bottle tops in the hopes of getting a wheelchair for her stepdaughter.
    Now it seems she is unsure where to send them. We are now wondering if the milk bottle top for wheelchairs scheme exists or if it's a urban legend

far as i know wheelchairs are provided free by the IWA.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

see your local occupational therapist and they will come out and measure the person concerned for the wheelchair I have never heard of collecting milk bottle tops in fact i didnt even know milk still came in bottles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭tenifan

corkmommy wrote: »

Just saw this and it gave me a bit of a chuckle..

from google.
    http://messybeast.com/dragonqueen/walkers-hoax.htm#bottletops
    In 2003 and 2004, "plastic bottle tops for wheelchairs" hoaxes hit the UK. In the 1950s/1960s, milk was sold in glass bottles and the washed foil milk bottle tops were collected by schools, sold by weight and the money donated to get a guide dog or a wheelchair. Hence "milk bottle tops" are associated with collections for good causes. Much milk is now sold in plastic bottles.... All over the UK, schools, churches, clubs, websites and well-meaning people appealed for plastic bottle tops

You might want to contact this lady who supposedly found a company that exchanges them (they sell the plastic):
    http://www.adverts.ie/crazy-random-stuff/plastic-bottle-caps/2517908

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭endacl

It was a scheme on the BBC show Blue Peter. Milk bottle tops were collected and sold by weight to raise funds for guide dogs.. The combined children of the UK donated enough for a couple of puppies. Your friend would need to be drinking an awful lot of milk. And buying it in the last century when foil tops were used!

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Guide_Dogs_for_the_Blind_Association

"In 1964, the charity’s work was introduced to a new generation when the children’s television programme Blue Peter launched an appeal to collect silver foil and milk bottle tops. Blue Peter raised enough to fund two guide dog puppies, Cindy and Honey, whom the programme followed through their training. This feature was repeated in the early 1980s and again in 2006 with Andy Akinwolere and puppy Magic."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

We collected bottle tops here and they were sent into Waterford Regional to the CRC in connection with a child's wheelchair. this was during the summer. I think we needed to collect 15000 bottle tops, which we achieved.
    Now we are being told they are not collecting them at present.
    Does anyone know if any other hospitals are taking them?

Advertisement