Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nexus 6

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

D_turbo wrote: »
    Nexus just lost its self a customer.

Very dissapointing...much to big for a normal everyday phone

It just gained itself a new customer! Have a note 2 but the damn thing is too small ;p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Just realised, "starting at $650", as in $650 for the 32 GB? $700+ for 64? OnePlus will be seeing a flood of orders after this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Thargor wrote: »
    Just realised, "starting at $650", as in $650 for the 32 GB? $700+ for 64? OnePlus will be seeing a flood of orders after this.

Yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I really don't think so. The OnePlus is a great device, but it had so many massive issues at release and for a few months after, plus it's damn near impossible to get.

With that said, a starting price of $649 is ridiculous. I've no idea what they're thinking with that unless they make it a lot more available than previously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,099 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Really tempted to get this phone as it looks great but I'd like to get one in my hand before buying and that isn't possible through the playstore.

It's also relatively expensive and for that kind of money think il just get the droid turbo which could turn out to be the phone of the year!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Technophobe

Having had the GN, 4 & 5 now, I was looking forward to the latest arrival, but screen and price too big IMO..pity.. Looks classy tho..
    Conflicted! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Sonics2k wrote: »
    I really don't think so. The OnePlus is a great device, but it had so many massive issues at release and for a few months after, plus it's damn near impossible to get.

With that said, a starting price of $649 is ridiculous. I've no idea what they're thinking with that unless they make it a lot more available than previously.

Fairly easy to get one nowadays. Loads of invites going around on here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Yeah I gave out an invite a few hours ago here on boards. If I get any more I'll probably do the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭emo72

overall, im major bummed out by the price of this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 398 ✭✭IsaacWunder

It's too big. I'm sticking with my Nexus 5.

• Advertisement

Few rumours online saying the price could be reduced by Google when it goes live on the playstore! Would be nice!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Trilla90

Few rumours online saying the price could be reduced by Google when it goes live on the playstore! Would be nice!

would wanna be a big reduction for me anyway :eek: i was hoping the 64gb version would be no more than €450. Suppose i'll have to look elsewhere now...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

if I can get a new phone for under 500 32Gb is more than enough for a phone,have a 64Gb card so all movies go on that.
    32 is fine just need the price to drop!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

if I can get a new phone for under 500 32Gb is more than enough for a phone,have a 64Gb card so all movies go on that.
    32 is fine just need the price to drop!!

There's no expandable storage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

There's no expandable storage.

A killer for me.

I do love my memory cards! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭Mayo Yid

Sam Mac wrote: »
    A killer for me.

I do love my memory cards! :D

Nexus devices have never had expandable storage, not sure where you got that idea

Nexus 1 had a SD card slot along with 512 mb of internal memory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Might make a nice Christmas present...to myself!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I've been playing around with the iphone 6 plus this morning to get an idea for size, it's actually not as bad as I thought it was going to be. It is just about ok in my jeans pocket, the length will require you to adjust when sitting. Not sure about wearing pants, it might have the potential for falling out. It is actually very comfortable in the hand, but you can forget about 1 handed usage unless Android 5.0 has something new in terms of navigation for large screens.

• Advertisement

Here's a handy size comparison site. Layered view is particularly good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭caolfx

Honest question: why buy the Nexus 6 over the OPO?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

its more advanced in just about every way? stock android 5.0

but if the price is 569 then the opo is much better value

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

SuperOito wrote: »

Battery life put me off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

SuperOito wrote: »

Better everything but most of all support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

digitaldr wrote: »
    Maybe it's better to compare the Nexus 6 to the iPhone 6 Plus?

http://www.phonearena.com/phones/size#/phones/size/Google-Nexus-6,Apple-iPhone-6-Plus/phones/8626,8908

• Advertisement

its more advanced in just about every way? stock android 5.0

but if the price is 569 then the opo is much better value
    adamski8 wrote: »
    Battery life put me off.
    beno619 wrote: »
    Better everything but most of all support.
    Debatable as to how much further advanced it is, definitely not double the price more advanced. Battery life on the OPO is insane, will be surprised if the Nexus can match it. The OPO is the Cyanogenmod flagship phone anyway so no worries about support there...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Thargor wrote:
    Debatable as to how much further advanced it is, definitely not double the price more advanced. Battery life on the OPO is insane, will be surprised if the Nexus can match it. The OPO is the Cyanogenmod flagship phone anyway so no worries about support there...

Where do you send the device if you have a hardware fault ?

Cyonogen is a well know buggy mess.

Cyanogen is buggy as hell but think I'd put up with it for the price. Anyone know if the Motorola droid turbo will be released in Ireland?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

beno619 wrote: »
    Where do you send the device if you have a hardware fault ?

Cyonogen is a well know buggy mess.
    Back to the manufacturer. Personally Ive never had to do that with any phone but the option is there and turnaround times are improving.
    Cyanogen is buggy as hell but think I'd put up with it for the price. Anyone know if the Motorola droid turbo will be released in Ireland?
    What devices and Cyanogenmod versions have you used to make those claims? Personally I havent found a single bug to report in the month Ive been heavily using mine and I havent even bothered applying 3 new updates to mine yet. The software is as good as stock Android easily and the cyanogenmod team are seriously proactive when something is discovered.

EDIT: As good as stock but better battery life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

No, it's a Verizon exclusive. It might get an international release but that would be in at least 6 months and by then the next best phones will be out. Motorola Droids are utter crap software wise anyway, even the impressive hardware specs can't save it. I know because I had a Droid Razr and the Android skin they had was a complete mess.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Calibrate your screen requires a credit card, seems legit ;)

No, it's a Verizon exclusive. It might get an international release but that would be in at least 6 months and by then the next best phones will be out. Motorola Droids are utter crap software wise anyway, even the impressive hardware specs can't save it. I know because I had a Droid Razr and the Android skin they had was a complete mess.

Might see if I can get it imported. Easily sort the skin by putting the Google launcher on it. Motorola seem to have got their act together and are now producing quality phones.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,676 ✭✭✭mondeo

I really like this Nexus 6. Seems a lot more expensive then what I was expecting. €569 kinda kills it for me. Thought maybe it would be around the 450 mark. Who knows I may reconsider as the reviews come out :-(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,104 ✭✭✭✭listermint

threein99 wrote: »

I hope thats a jest....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,503 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

threein99 wrote: »

Hahaha :pac:

You put a credit card up to your screen, to see if it's the same size as the one displayed on it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I went from an M7 to iPhone 6 plus. I sold the 6plus within a week, as I was able to sell it to CEX for a €500 + profit, my plan was to wait until stock was available on apple website before re-buying (all in all I would have saved €150), but then I started reading about the nexus 6.

I've always used Android (apart from my 1 week with the iPhone) and I much prefer a bigger phone (after only spending the few days with the iPhone my One feels tiny), and the nexus 6 is sick looking. #want.

Just wondering how soon after release it'll make it's way to Ireland - were we at top of queue for the nexus 5?

The Nexus 6 will have the 15 minutes fast charge for 6 hours life though - that is a major plus. General battery life should be pretty good also with a 3220 mah battery.

Ill leave it after this because Im sounding like a total fanboy but is that 6 hours talk time? 6 hours data/wi-fi? 6 hours screen on or most likely 6 hours standby? Because in 15 minutes the OPO will charge 15-20% for me and I could get a day of standby or a couple of hours usage out of that...

Still waiting to hear how Cyanogenmod is a buggy mess btw, as someone using it every day Im finding it superior to stock android on my 2012 Nexus 7.

http://gadgets.ndtv.com/mobiles/news/nexus-6-delivers-6-hours-of-battery-life-with-15-minutes-of-charging-google-607694

Google on its official Nexus 6 website notes, "Get up to 6 hours of use from only 15 minutes of charging. With a large 3220mAh battery, you get over 24 hours of use from a full charge."

it sounds like it can charge 25% in 15 minutes. Still pretty good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Nolimits

I don't really get why people have such a hard time with the price, it's only the last two Nexus phones that have been such great value I paid about €650 for a Galaxy Nexus a few years ago. They are just charging a fair market price now, it's specs are comparable to other high end phones and so is the price, plus with the guaranteed quick updates you're still getting a better deal.

Obviously people would rather have a cheaper price, but we can't really complain that they are charging a fair price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

Nolimits wrote: »

Obviously people would rather have a cheaper price, but we can't really complain that they are charging a fair price.

Depends on what your interpretation of a fair price is though. The fact that you can get high spec phones at much lower prices such as the various ones coming out of China shows what type of margins the well known brands are working off.

Will be interesting to see how the Nexus 6 sells globally.

I don't really get why people have such a hard time with the price, it's only the last two Nexus phones that have been such great value I paid about €650 for a Galaxy Nexus a few years ago. They are just charging a fair market price now, it's specs are comparable to other high end phones and so is the price, plus with the guaranteed quick updates you're still getting a better deal.

that's true but a lot of people had the expectation of a cheaper price due to the N4 and N5 deal. expectations dashed! still this phone is at or exceeds the current high end phones whereas the N4 and N5 were a bit below the best from Samsung, Sony, HTC at the time in terms of camera, processor, waterproofing, battery life etc. This one has top-end features - as well as the latest android version always and no bloatware.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,527 ✭✭✭irishgeo

its huge compared to my htc one.

now its either a 1+1 or a nexus 5.

A relatively low price of around €500 is the only thing that would've tempted me. Have a Nexus 4 for the last 2 years and to be honest I find the stock Android experience to be overrated. Not enough customisation and lacking killer features LG's knock on, Moto active display etc. Also over 2 years I can't think of any updates that I thought afterwards "wow I'm so glad I have this update!?". Even kit kat was meh, everything just looked more grey?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Yeh I think they found a real way to make an impact with the value provided by the Nexus 4, 5 and 7 offering relatively well specced devices at a really good value price point.

For me I would have preferred had they continued this as I don't need the highest spec phone but I do need one that has the up to date stock Android images and the value to spec ratio of the 4 and 5 appealed more to me.

Real shame as despite saying I wouldn't buy it if it was 6 inches I think I actually would after seeing it only for the price.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Why didn't Google just hold an event?

There's way too much confusion about this around.

A relatively low price of around €500 is the only thing that would've tempted me. Have a Nexus 4 for the last 2 years and to be honest I find the stock Android experience to be overrated. Not enough customisation and lacking killer features LG's knock on, Moto active display etc. Also over 2 years I can't think of any updates that I thought afterwards "wow I'm so glad I have this update!?". Even kit kat was meh, everything just looked more grey?

Erm this has active screen...

Ill leave it after this because Im sounding like a total fanboy but is that 6 hours talk time? 6 hours data/wi-fi? 6 hours screen on or most likely 6 hours standby? Because in 15 minutes the OPO will charge 15-20% for me and I could get a day of standby or a couple of hours usage out of that...

Still waiting to hear how Cyanogenmod is a buggy mess btw, as someone using it every day Im finding it superior to stock android on my 2012 Nexus 7.

There is no way in he'll you can compare your new opo to a 2012 nexus 7.thats an utterly ridiculous comparison utterly. I've a moto g in my hand that is better than it. Thats just being silly.

There is a whole thread of questions and issues dedicated to the opo. For me I've no interest in going into an ecosystem where the support relies heavily on rooting and mods. Nice looking device alright it id prefer the safety of stock android that's preference don't take offence. The spec on the nexus 6 beats the opo. So you can't really compare the two price wise. One is made by a brand new start up Asian manufacturer looking to grab market share. The other by an established American manufacturer who have no will to disrupt their pricing model but on the other side this device doesn't pull back in spec so the price in the real world matches the spec. Tbf

listermint wrote: »
    Erm this has active screen...

Actually I'm reading now that it also has double tap to wake so looks like not as bare featured as I thought.

• Advertisement

listermint wrote: »
    There is no way in he'll you can compare your new opo to a 2012 nexus 7.thats an utterly ridiculous comparison utterly. I've a moto g in my hand that is better than it. Thats just being silly.

There is a whole thread of questions and issues dedicated to the opo. For me I've no interest in going into an ecosystem where the support relies heavily on rooting and mods. Nice looking device alright it id prefer the safety of stock android that's preference don't take offence. The spec on the nexus 6 beats the opo. So you can't really compare the two price wise. One is made by a brand new start up Asian manufacturer looking to grab market share. The other by an established American manufacturer who have no will to disrupt their pricing model but on the other side this device doesn't pull back in spec so the price in the real world matches the spec. Tbf
    Tbf you're talking out your ass if you think you need to root or mod the OPO to get it working or solve issues, it has no issues or if it does they're Android issues in general, Ive found exactly zero in the 4 weeks of heavy use Ive put it through.

Im sure its a better specced phone than the OPO, it had better be for double the price. Is it 100% better specced though? Not a hope, is it even 50% better specced? probably not. And I bet the OPO will have the better battery life aswell, I can stretch mine to 3 days. Android L support is coming aswell.

Advertisement