Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung galaxy note 4

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

I have a Note3...I see no reason to upgrad€ to Note4.

ianofitz wrote: »
    So almost a week with the phone. Overall phone is great. I do a bit of blogging and I found it really handy for that. Battery is much better than the Note 2 ever was. The fast charging is unreal, 50% in half an hour? Can say no to that.

The one thing that is p*ssing me off alot though is that there is no FM Radio. I have to to download each app for each station which is: 1. Taking up memory and 2. Annoying having to switch bwtween each app just to listen to the radio.

Anyone have any criticisms?

Personally never use the FM radio on my phone. Why not just use an app like tune in radio? Either way, I wouldn't be concerned by the amount of memory these apps take up.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭ianofitz

Basil3 wrote: »
    Personally never use the FM radio on my phone. Why not just use an app like tune in radio? Either way, I wouldn't be concerned by the amount of memory these apps take up.

I tried 2 or 3 differents ones there and they're useless. Yeah spose the memory isnt the worst but just the convience of having it all in one would be nice

I tried 2 or 3 differents ones there and they're useless. Yeah spose the memory isnt the worst but just the convience of having it all in one would be nice

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=tunein.player&hl=en

I have the pro version, think I picked it up on sale for 50c at some stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,928 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

tommybc wrote: »
    If you flash it with the fw provided in the other page will it then be rooted?

I've had the Note 4 for a week now and it's the first Android that I haven't immediately rooted. I've flashed it with the generic UK firmware, installed Nova launcher and my apps but that's about it.

I think Google/Samsung have finally matured the OS to the point where it's pretty much fine as is. I may root yet to get rid of ads in apps but that'd be about the only reason I can think of at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

I usually root my phones too, but I'm leaving mine as it is for the moment. Got it yesterday on Meteor and its unlocked, and doesn't have any operator bloatware, so I'm happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭deep1

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    I've had the Note 4 for a week now and it's the first Android that I haven't immediately rooted. I've flashed it with the generic UK firmware, installed Nova launcher and my apps but that's about it.

I think Google/Samsung have finally matured the OS to the point where it's pretty much fine as is. I may root yet to get rid of ads in apps but that'd be about the only reason I can think of at the moment.

+1 on this, this is the first phone i haven't rooted and it is buttery smooth, S5 annoyed me so much that i had to root, Extra ram and faster processor helps here too.

Week on and loving the phone more every day!

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭ianofitz

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=tunein.player&hl=en

I have the pro version, think I picked it up on sale for 50c at some stage.

Cool thanks Basil3, I'll give that one a go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭AngelaRI

Might I ask the guys who already have the Note 4: does anyone have an unlocked/sim-free version, and if so: where did you get it?? I've pre-ordered a sim-free/unlocked version (I'm tired of being locked into contracts and would rather wait a while longer than get yet another network locked device from the likes of Vodafone, Three, etc) but Samsung keeps delaying shipment of stock to the store I purchased from (Clove UK), in favour of supplying handsets to their own stores and big mobile networks such as Vodafone... I got a fourth delay notification last night, now the ETA on stock is unknown :confused: The poor little shop is apologising profusely to their customers because their suppliers keep dropping them, making them look bad and annoying the **** out of people like me, who have been waiting since the big reveal to get our hands on this! I had a play around with the display models at my local Samsung Experience store, and it was AWESOME, but they don't have anything for sale even yet...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 557 ✭✭✭puddles22

has anyone rooted yet ? not being able to write to sd is annoying

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

puddles22 wrote: »
    has anyone rooted yet ? not being able to write to sd is annoying

How do you mean? I can set my photos/vids to be saved to my sd card?

How do you mean? I can set my photos/vids to be saved to my sd card?

He is talking about writing to SD card for Nova backup and stuff, Kitkat took that away. Yeah it is annoying but 32gb is more than enough for me so don't have to move app data to card.

AngelaRI wrote: »
    Might I ask the guys who already have the Note 4: does anyone have an unlocked/sim-free version, and if so: where did you get it?? I've pre-ordered a sim-free/unlocked version (I'm tired of being locked into contracts and would rather wait a while longer than get yet another network locked device from the likes of Vodafone, Three, etc) but Samsung keeps delaying shipment of stock to the store I purchased from (Clove UK), in favour of supplying handsets to their own stores and big mobile networks such as Vodafone... I got a fourth delay notification last night, now the ETA on stock is unknown :confused: The poor little shop is apologising profusely to their customers because their suppliers keep dropping them, making them look bad and annoying the **** out of people like me, who have been waiting since the big reveal to get our hands on this! I had a play around with the display models at my local Samsung Experience store, and it was AWESOME, but they don't have anything for sale even yet...

Any reason not buying on Prepay from Vodafone and unlock it yourself , all in 618 €, much cheaper than Clove, That's what i did.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Obecny

I can also highly recommend the tunein app I have the pro version and for me is worth even the full price.
    try the free version first

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭leemaree

I got my phone delivered yesterday evening. But before I open it what are the speakers like? Is there any gap?

deep1 wrote: »
    Any reason not buying on Prepay from Vodafone and unlock it yourself , all in 618 €, much cheaper than Clove, That's what i did.

I've considered it, but have always preferred factory-unlocked. But if this delay continues I may just give in and go that route... I'm on Three (contract) so would've preferred to get a Three-locked model that would be usable in the exceptional case where the unlock does not work, but that's just my uber-cautious side shining through... Clove has always been brilliant with their customer service, so I've always been happy to keep supporting them. They've even offered refunds for anyone wanting to cancel their pre-orders for the Note 4, even though the delays are not from their side but on Samsung.

Where did you find a Vodafone store with stock - Dublin perchance? If I go this route I want to walk into a store and walk out: no more waiting for the postman...

And just as important: who did you use to unlock? sim-unlock.net has a "Unlock by code for Samsung phones from Europe" 'product': this is the closest I can find but no guarantee that this will definitely work.

I've considered it, but have always preferred factory-unlocked. But if this delay continues I may just give in and go that route... I'm on Three (contract) so would've preferred to get a Three-locked model that would be usable in the exceptional case where the unlock does not work, but that's just my uber-cautious side shining through... Clove has always been brilliant with their customer service, so I've always been happy to keep supporting them. They've even offered refunds for anyone wanting to cancel their pre-orders for the Note 4, even though the delays are not from their side but on Samsung.

Where did you find a Vodafone store with stock - Dublin perchance? If I go this route I want to walk into a store and walk out: no more waiting for the postman...

And just as important: who did you use to unlock? sim-unlock.net has a "Unlock by code for Samsung phones from Europe" 'product': this is the closest I can find but no guarantee that this will definitely work.

I am on Three too, once you unlock and flash the FW posted on page 40 by Thor , you have unbranded, unlocked phone and saving of 120€.

I got one on carphone warehouse last friday and used sim-unlock.net/, had code very fast. I don't see any difference between factory unlocked or unlocked by yourself, practically same thing but much cheaper.

Feel free to ask any question if you have any!

I am on Three too, once you unlock and flash the FW posted on page 40 by Thor , you have unbranded, unlocked phone and saving of 120€.

I got one on carphone warehouse last friday and used sim-unlock.net/, had code very fast. I don't see any difference between factory unlocked or unlocked by yourself, practically same thing but much cheaper.

Feel free to ask any question if you have any!

This the 'product' you chose from sim-unlock?
    http://sim-unlock.net/sim-lock/12/Unlock_by_code_for_Samsung_phones_from_Europe/

I went through by list of phones http://sim-unlock.net/list/

But yeah same thing, pick the right model and IMEI and you are good to go, where are you based, if you planning to go Carphone warehouse route, then make sure you ring them, last week they had only 1 in my local and they reserved for me.

I went through by list of phones http://sim-unlock.net/list/

But yeah same thing, pick the right model and IMEI and you are good to go, where are you based, if you planning to go Carphone warehouse route, then make sure you ring them, last week they had only 1 in my local and they reserved for me.

Yeah, CPW - I've done the online 'order and collect', but will ring them in a moment to see if they have stock for this afternoon. I'm Dublin-based, which is hopefully a good thing re: stock...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 557 ✭✭✭puddles22

rooted in less than a minute installed an app and can now write to sd card again, much happier, btw the camera on this is best ive used on a smartphone ever period and the screen is awesome

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭munkee

Is the cheap deal with CPW the Vodafone version?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭Darwin

Yes, it's the Vodafone prepay edition. Plan on picking one up myself today!

Sigh, now I know why I buy all my tech stuff online, local CPW shows stock on their website, but have none when I call in. Then I try calling the local Vodafone outlet (the phone store) and ironically the phone rings out.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Philip42

Does it not bother anybody that by rooting your phone, you're tripping the Knox flag which, as far as I know, has no known fix, and you're invalidating your warranty on a very expensive product? I'd go the Vodafone route only I think it's a bit risky. Even if you don't trip the flag, how do you explain your bloat free phone to Vodafone when something needs a warranty repair? Isn't there a counter that gets incremented when you flash a new firmware that can only be reset by the triangle away app and rooting? I'll hold off until Meteor have the phone next week.

Philip42 wrote: »
    Does it not bother anybody that by rooting your phone, you're tripping the Knox flag which, as far as I know, has no known fix, and you're invalidating your warranty on a very expensive product? I'd go the Vodafone route only I think it's a bit risky. Even if you don't trip the flag, how do you explain your bloat free phone to Vodafone when something needs a warranty repair? Isn't there a counter that gets incremented when you flash a new firmware that can only be reset by the triangle away app and rooting? I'll hold off until Meteor have the phone next week.

I can sort of see where you're coming from, but at the same time, if you nandroid your ROM that comes on the device, you can just restore that back before taking it back to Vodafone.

I have heard of Samsung being difficult with some warranty repairs, but if it's a hardware defect then you should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Philip42

I can sort of see where you're coming from, but at the same time, if you nandroid your ROM that comes on the device, you can just restore that back before taking it back to Vodafone.

I have heard of Samsung being difficult with some warranty repairs, but if it's a hardware defect then you should be fine.

I know what you're saying. I'm just a bit reluctant after getting stung with the Knox flag on my S4. Didn't know anything about it. The thing that annoyed me most was, I was trying to flash back to an earlier Samsung rom because they'd made a mess of their 4x3 keyboard, and I ended up tripping the flag, for which there's no fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭munkee

Philip42 wrote: »
    ... stung with the Knox flag on my S4. Didn't know anything about it. The thing that annoyed me most was, I was trying to flash back to an earlier Samsung rom because they'd made a mess of their 4x3 keyboard, and I ended up tripping the flag, for which there's no fix.

<Crosses Note 4 off list of possible purchases/>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

Yeah, CPW - I've done the online 'order and collect', but will ring them in a moment to see if they have stock for this afternoon. I'm Dublin-based, which is hopefully a good thing re: stock...

I got one on Meteor bill pay yesterday unlocked with no operator branding. Great phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭mtt_swny

tallus wrote: »
    I got one on Meteor bill pay yesterday unlocked with no operator branding. Great phone.

Is that something they if you ask them? I'd be interested in getting an unlocked one from Meteor too, should I just ask them when buying it or what?? Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

Can anyone advise me which provider has the note 4 at the best price on a 2 year contract? Can't see it online with anyone.
    I'm out of contract with Emobile, was going to get the S5 for €99 with them but this phone looks better again..... And prob way more expensive!

Advertisement