Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charity tv ads - is it emotional blackmail?

Options
  • 07-03-2011 1:25am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭

First off - we all want to help people who are starving in 3rd world countries naturally and the Irish do give generously. But am I the only one who finds tv charity ads to be an increasingly cynical exercise. They are getting more and more graphic with the use of increasingly disturbing imagery mostly of children and seem to last longer then a few years back. The timing of the ads is interesting because they tend to be on around dinner time in the evening - presumably the intention being to instill feelings of guilt as you tuck into your Chinese whilst watching the television. There is also the issue of whether or not they are needed. How much money does it cost to advertise? That money presumably comes from doners. Then there are the broader issues of whether the money we give to charity is used properly and for the reasons that we give the money. There is no real way of knowing. I just find these ads cynical given there is so many of them now and it's not like we don't know how horrific it is in such countries. People who give to charities are of a principled unselfish mind. I don't believe we need to see ads day in day out about it to be motivated. I don't believe people who are not giving money are going to suddenly be motivated by these ads. It's like those drink driving ads which are little more then entertainment now given we have seen them so often we are completely desensitised.

Do you believe charity ads now are cynical?

Is it simply emotional blackmail?

And do you ever consider that you won't give money because you don't trust them for whatever reason to use it properly?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭questionmark?

First question is how much those adds cost to post and how much that money could have done for those in need!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

After growing up with these ads on the tv, I think I mentality block them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭rockmongrel

black·mail
    n.1. a. Extortion of money or something else of value from a person by the threat of exposing a criminal act or discreditable information.
    b. Something of value extorted in this manner.

2. Tribute formerly paid to freebooters along the Scottish border for protection from pillage.
    So, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Captain_Generic

I can barely see them what with the mountain of food in front of me, anyone want to donate to my "bigger TV" initiative?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I just don't understand why they're mostly shown in the afternoon when the audience will be comprised of unemployed people, stay-at-home parents, students, pensioners and children.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭J.Ball

First question is how much those adds cost to post and how much that money could have done for those in need!

The adds cost nothing in fact they tend to pay very little if anything for any advertising. My gf is a graphic designer and told me that the charitys will come in with alot of work and expect it for free. Some designers do it for em some dont

• Registered Users Posts: 11,131 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Seeing these ads do make people want to donate or else they wouldn't have them on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,419 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Seeing these ads do make people want to donate or else they wouldn't have them on!

I think this true but if you were to let every sad thing that is happening effect you it would drive you mad and broke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,021 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Dudess wrote: »
    I just don't understand why they're mostly shown in the afternoon when the audience will be comprised of unemployed people, stay-at-home parents, students, pensioners and children.

+ People on odd shifts ?

Probably because TV airtime (particularly on digital-only channels) at this time of day costs buttons

• Registered Users Posts: 11,131 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    + People on odd shifts ?

Probably because TV airtime (particularly on digital-only channels) at this time of day costs buttons

I'd say students, people on a set income like pensioners and people on welfare are more likely to give.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭RichieC

All Advertising is emotional blackmail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,583 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

These charities don't simply spend the money that's donated on aid, they invest in stocks and bonds and other investments. A lot of them have lost their shirt due to the recession because they played with the money donated. Now not all charities are like that, but the majority are.

Knew a girl that was working for one of the Irish charities that do work solely here, she was on €70k p/a, nice money for someone only 2 years out of college.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Don't give them any money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭UsernameInUse

Charity ads are bullsh!t.

Let's face facts - if human beings really wanted to rid the world of terrible death by hunger, it would have been done a long time ago. The fact that first world countries would rather throw tax-payers money into researching better technologically advanced machines useful only for the purpose of killing other human beings is not enough to turn your stomach when looking at our planet, then logical and independent thought have been stolen from you.

By sending €10/weekly, you are prolonging suffering rather than fighting it. The real battlefield is at Government buildings around the globe - yet, you won't hear much from self-proclaimed charity-givers protesting in favour of free movement, now will you....
    The very thought of having those starving children living among us, giving them an opportunity to work and live a meaningful life is just too much to bare for those who would rather feel smug in the knowledge that they contribute to charities while the "victims" remain on TV from a far off land they don't feel obliged to learn how to spell.

C0ksvckers.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,498 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

So, no.

Blackmail != emotional blackmail
    a method of trying to persuade someone to do something by making them feel guilty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 912 ✭✭✭whatsamsn

Dont you think its a bit of a coincidence that charity ads, namely help the starving people in africa ads appear on tv during the evening news?

Hmmm, lets see.
    Average person works 9am to 5pm. We add travelling time either by car or public transport and not to mention siting down for something to eat ... whoa? what do you know. Its between 5.30 and 6.30?

Thats quite weird isnt it? :D ... its almost like that these charities play the starving people in africa ads while you are sitting down and having something to eat? :D Its almost like they want you to feel guilty.

>> Lets be honest, a cheap tactic to make you feel guilty and donate. Scumbags I personally think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭im invisible

RichieC wrote: »
    All Advertising is emotional blackmail.
    Yeah, its called the lynx effect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

to fix world hunger start sterilizing people that cant feed their own kids after their second child.

Also sterilize those in africa that had HIV this would prevent more kids being born with HIV and thus require less resources to look after.

we already have too many people on the planet. Its unfair to expect those that can afford to pay for those that cant afford to keep children.

I know it sound harsh but sometimes ya gotta be cruel to be kind.

The current system of population growth vs environment protection vs food production is unsustainable.

People need to take responsibility and have less kids.

I don't really trust charities... I've said it before and I'll say it again but why were billions upon billions of charity money lost in the Madoff scandel? That's only one small example where it's thrust into the public view that this charity money is sitting in massive hedge funds generating huge fees for the fund managers and huge returns for the very well paid charity executives.

Why are there big appeals around the time of massive disasters if all the money is already there in a fund? BS like. Concern doesn't run out of money every month.. It doesn't need any appeals for more cash. It's all there being invested already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,021 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

to fix world hunger start sterilizing people that cant feed their own kids after their second child.

Or one could sterelise Western people whose kids are likely to consume far more resources and generate far more pollution in their lifetimes than the average African ?

Or just sterelise EVERYBODY because lets face it people are just bastards anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

emotional blackmail, pfft , i preffer the term wankin material

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Thaigr

I do think the advertisement is emotional blackmail but how else would they get you to donate? Are they supposed to scream something catchy like, "Look! This kid's got no meat! Don't you think he deserves to eat? DONATE!" No, they use the sympathy card that's supposed to make you sympathise and feel a bit guilty because you probably feel guilty altogether anyway since you are in a more fortunate position than they are. They're trying to bring awareness to the unfortunate but what other way could they do it like?

I saw an ad today about adopting children and the ending statement was something along the lines of, "There will be children who can put up with you. Adopt a child." Now they're making me feel like a right arse, what's that about?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Azureus

I think I'm just completely desensitized to these ads now, same as lots of people.
    Yes, its sad, yes Id love to be able to help... but fact is there are many more causes a lot closer to my heart that I can actually make a difference with by donating what lil bit I have to them.

The barnardos ad is one that works on me. Anything to do with cancer society hits a nerve. I know where the money is going, I trust them, I will donate. Starving kids with sad music in the background doesnt have that effect on me anymore, maybe Im a heartless bitch but as mammy always told me, charity begins at home.

That said, I worked as a volunteer in Oxfam shops for years a few years back. Then chuggers happened, and they irritated me so much that I stopped because I didnt wanna be part of an organization that guilt tripped people into giving money by ambushing them on the street.

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    Or one could sterelise Western people whose kids are likely to consume far more resources and generate far more pollution in their lifetimes than the average African ?

Or just sterelise EVERYBODY because lets face it people are just bastards anyway.

Why bother coming here and posting crap? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

J.Ball wrote: »
    The adds cost nothing in fact they tend to pay very little if anything for any advertising. My gf is a graphic designer and told me that the charitys will come in with alot of work and expect it for free. Some designers do it for em some dont

I used to work for a hosting company, and this charity got cut off for not paying the bill we sent them. Their director rang up swearing blue murder about them being a charity. Our director went on the phone and said "I understand that you're a charity. But we are not"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

i have to say, seeing these ad's in the evening is bad enough, but lately i have noticed they are appearing more frequently on channels like nick jr..etc and having your own children begging you to save the baby in the ad or asking why is the baby dying? it really distresses them,

they wouldn't let children watch a tv programme on those channels with scenes like that for fear of parent groups complaining but yet they are allowed show these distressing scenes during an ad break to a toddler? it makes no sense to me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Don't understand why they shove them on the childrens channels!
    Besides the fact that it much have cost a fortune to run them there too - why shove that crap into the faces of kids!

Please donate - so we can produce more schite for your kids to be turned off by!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,576 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

When all these 'charidees' publish the salaries of their management and their cost structure, I might consider contributing.

Otherwise what are you hiding.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Bosco boy

I love that dog sanctuary ad where you pay a monthly fee and sponsor a dog and then the dog writes to you. Maybe some of them are posting on boards as well, a few posters come to mind!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Biggins wrote: »
    Don't understand why they shove them on the childrens channels!
    Besides the fact that it much have cost a fortune to run them there too - why shove that crap into the faces of kids!

Please donate - so we can produce more schite for your kids to be turned off by!

I believe marketeers call it pester power.

Child:Mummy!
    Mummy: Yes...?
    Child: Can I donate 5 pounds per month to Concern to help the starving children?
    Mummy: No.
    Child: Please?

Some time later......

Mummy: Yes alright. Jesus Christ Almighty! Anything to shut you up! Here is my credit card.
    Child: And Can I help stop the litle girls getting blind? It only costs 2 euros a month...

It remind me years ago when I was in primary school, the teacher told us to bring in money the next day for the black babies. So my sister who was about 5 at the time goes home and says she needs money for the black babies.

The next day when my mother picked her up from school she was crying. My mother asked her what was wrong. It turns out she thought by giving a pound for the black babies that she would get a black baby in return to keep. :D

Advertisement