Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hot Water Bottles/Jars Conundrum

Options
  • 24-10-2011 2:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi, just wondering do people call hot water bottles, "jars" these days?

And if so is it a Cork thing or just a back arse of nowhere thing?:)

My college housemates keep abusing me over the term "jar", but I'm pretty sure other people call them jars as well (I hope).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Never heard it before I moved to Cork, assume it's a cork thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

"are ye going for a few jars?"

"yeah, see you down there"

*at the pub*

"what are you doing with hot water bottles? :confused:"

"you said are ye going for a few jars! :confused: "

"....................................."

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

From Meath, call it a jar!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

its a cavan thing too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭policarp

Hi, just wondering do people call hot water bottles, "jars" these days?

And if so is it a Cork thing or just a back arse of nowhere thing?:)

My college housemates keep abusing me over the term "jar", but I'm pretty sure other people call them jars as well (I hope).
    Let's go for a jar and we'll sort it out. . .over a few bottles. . .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Never heard of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Marshmallowie

YAY!!

Delighted some people use it!! Going to show this to them tomorrow so the abuse may finally stop!

There's nothing better than going to bed on a night like tonight with a hot jar.......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

Kilkenny, call it a bottle.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

From Tipp, I always call them hot-water bottles but my dad calls them Jars!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

Never heard of it.

Maybe it was some elaborate plan by your mother to call random objects by different names so that when you moved out into the real world you would go around calling cars trees and hot water bottles jars?

Just putting it out there...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 Marshmallowie

Aoifey! wrote: »
    Never heard of it.

Maybe it was some elaborate plan by your mother to call random objects by different names so that when you moved out into the real world you would go around calling cars trees and hot water bottles jars?

Just putting it out there...

Hmmmmm, that would have taken years of dedication.... maybe! She does like to make me act the fool sometimes! HA!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

it's hot water bottle, or hot jar. who in their right mind would say hot water jar?
    that'd be totally confusing and would cause shocks the like of which humanity hasn't seen since miley and fidelma shifted the faces off each other in glenroe. before the watershed i might add!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

I'm from Cork and always called them bottles but my Dad calls them jars. So maybe calling them jars is generally an older generation Cork thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

Found a very old "hot water jar" in my grandmother's house after she died. No, I'm not implying that the jar killed her. It was pristine silver coloured metal and shaped like a jar! This was back in the mid 70's and the thing had been there for about 50 years at that stage. It was about the size of a thermos flask. In fact, it looked like the inside part of a flask. Apparently, they filled it with hot water, wrapped it in a soft cloth and (I want to say "beat each other savagely with it") used it to heat the bed. My grandmother lived in the middle of nowhere in Tipp. Maybe that's where the reference to "jar" comes from? Back in the day they really were jars.

But now they are bottles, so enough o this jar nonsense!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭policarp

Ajar is when a door is half opened and half closed. . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

My father always called it a jar. I thought he had made up the term himself until now. I'm from Carlow and so was my father.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

Wiki - Hot water bottles

They might not look like jars any more but then again they hardly look like bottles either unless they were modelled on naggins. Tonight I'm going to take a hot water naggin to bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭crazyderk

I'm from Wicklow, Parents from Dublin/Wicklow and we called it a Jar

North Americans look at you funny when you call it a Jar

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

....its a country thing.............them JARS!

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭ned14

A quick definition search, and I think the Jar vs Hot Water Bottle argument can be put to rest. It may be known as a "Jar" by some, but it's definitely a bottle.

Jar n. A cylindrical glass or earthenware vessel with a wide mouth and usually no handles.

Bottle n. A receptacle having a narrow neck, usually no handles, and a mouth that can be plugged, corked, or capped.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

I'm from donegal and we call them sheep ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Most modern folk with 'lectricty use them new fangled 'lectric blanket things.By the way the turfs wet so the power station might be runnin' a bit slow tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭ZombieBride

I call them egg sacks, as that's what they feel like when they've cooled off a little. Horrid Horrid things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

From Wicklow, always called them jars. I assume it is a fairly common thing around the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

mucksavageville - Jars

Civilization - Neddies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭wild_cat

My parents call em Jars to. Haven't heard it in years though!!

Advertisement