Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pros & Cons of moving from Stockholm to Dublin

Options
  • 18-01-2016 2:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

I'm Irish and married to a Swede and we live in Stockholm with our young kids. I've lived here almost 10 years. Now we are discussing moving to Dublin. I've lived here so long I guess I'm quite Swedified. I'm wondering what it was like for you leaving Sweden and moving to Ireland/Dublin. Has it been hard? What are the pros and cons of moving from Sweden to Ireland in your opinion? I've heard that culture shock when you go home to your home country can be the worst kind so I'm trying to prepare myself! Tips anyone!!? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,279 ✭✭✭Lady Chuckles

Oh my goodness! I have the same question :D
    My Irishman and I are looking to move to Dublin (or thereabouts) this year. Hopefully someone who's made the move will be able to answer ;):)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,674 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Speaking from the Irish perspective having learnt a bit of Swedish culture, I reckon both ensure you have a job set up or cash reserves while looking for one. As well, over the years Ireland has gotten more statist - ie a lot more by laws, form filling and taxes (the debate on if they are worth it is off topic), so that might be a bit of difference from 10 years ago.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

OP, can I ask why you want to move back to Ireland?

Any time I've spent in Sweden, it always appears to be a better place to raise a family, better healthcare, schooling, transport etc.

Yes the taxes are high but you do get a lot more from your tax there.

Apart from the weather, which granted those winters are long. The summers are much nice, more defined seasons and a land link to Europe does help too.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Cicilulu

Thanks for your replies. Sorry for my slow response. We are moving back to Ireland to be closer to my family. Also, the education system here has been in steady decline for over a decade (google it). Ireland's schools are doing quite well by international standards. Personal experience with the healthcare here has not been favorable. I love Sweden but it feels like the right time to relocate my family.

Then go for it, Cicilulu :)
    I'm moving too. I don't really know what to expect but I do like the Irish people in general. I'm sure there will be some cultural shocks as well, but that's part of the charm ;):D

• Advertisement

Then go for it, Cicilulu :)
    I'm moving too. I don't really know what to expect but I do like the Irish people in general. I'm sure there will be some cultural shocks as well, but that's part of the charm ;):D

Maybe we can meet for a fika in Ireland at some point? We can pm eachother. Perhaps we won't be too far apart. I would certainly like a Swedish friend in Ireland. ;)

For sure ;)
    Fika and friendship are important :D

3syll1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4 boardpete

I thought the job prospect were much better in Stockholm?

I reckon it's pretty much the same ;)

So here's an update, whether you want it or not :pac:

I have now lived in Ireland for 5 months. Time has gone so quickly!
    I have already managed to switch to a better job than the one I started with.
    I haven't been homesick at all since my arrival and I couldn't be happier with my choice to move :D

Hope you are enjoying it too, Cicilulu :)

• Advertisement

So here's an update, whether you want it or not :pac:

I have now lived in Ireland for 5 months. Time has gone so quickly!
    I have already managed to switch to a better job than the one I started with.
    I haven't been homesick at all since my arrival and I couldn't be happier with my choice to move :D

Hope you are enjoying it too, Cicilulu :)

Glad things are working out for you. I'm happy we moved back to Ireland. No regrets here either.

That's wonderful! I'm really happy to hear it :):):)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Glad to hear things worked out for everyone :)

Advertisement