Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Threadneedle Road/Taylor's Hill/Kingston Road Junction

Options
13»

Comments

ir555 wrote: »
    10 minutes to get from Salerno School past the lights this morning. On 2 occasions the green light for Threadneedle traffic barely allowed 2-3 cars past - max 20 seconds green..

Are these lights working on a fixed sequence or dare I even suggest that would be working off some sort of sensors watching the traffic.

D

Is getting the kids to cycle or walk not an option?

Save you time and money and good for them too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

maudgonner wrote: »
    Amber before green would be a terrible idea in Ireland. It works in the UK because people actually obey the traffic lights. Here you would get people jumping the light as soon as they saw amber, crashing into all the people coming the other way who are running the red light. Bang, crash, wallop!

Couldn't disagree more.
    Part of the problem of people breaking red lights is due to the slow responsetimes of others in front of them limiting the numbers getting through an individual sequence.
    If people got warning to get into gear and ready to proceed on green, there'd be less frustration and thos racing through the red at the end of the sequence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

I really don't think amber before green would solve a thing. Who needs a warning to go from stop to go? If the person in front of you is daydreaming when the light goes green I suggest pressing the button conveniently built in to your steering wheel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

I really don't think amber before green would solve a thing. Who needs a warning to go from stop to go? If the person in front of you is daydreaming when the light goes green I suggest pressing the button conveniently built in to your steering wheel.

As one who has been stuck on Threadneedle road behind a few daydreamers i have found the button built in to the steering wheel most effective :D:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭45mhrc7evo1d3n

The button is great for venting frustration but by the time you use it (and I frequently do!) and the daydreamer wakes up, that's a few less cars through the lights. It always amazes me how slow people are to take off when lights go green so I think amber before green could help a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Curious Geroge

Anyone know if the council are to stick with the changes? It seems that the traffic from Taylor's hill has eased up but there is now a build up of traffic on Threadneedle Road and BOD Road. Kingston road continues to have a long tailback at peek times as the new sequence and the no turn left but my pain-point is still the dropping off kids in traffic and on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭GDSGR8

It seems to be working reasonably well overall, the timing of the phases could be dialled in a bit better though.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭ir555

Is getting the kids to cycle or walk not an option?

Save you time and money and good for them too

Great idea if I even had kids!!! Well done...

D

ir555 wrote: »
    Great idea if I even had kids!!! Well done...

D

*shrug* you're the one who mentioned Salerno, fair leap to make

See as you don't have kids can I suggest a number of options, I leave the final decision too you

- Cycle
    - Walk
    - Leave earlier
    - Choose an alternate route
    - Don't change anything

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

See as you don't have kids can I suggest a number of options, I leave the final decision too you

- Cycle
    - Walk
    - Leave earlier
    - Don't change anything

Maybe add don't make assumptions to that list.

Why do the anti car brigade in the Galway forum always assume that every car journey (except their own) is a 2 mile meaningless jolly!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭ir555

- Cycle
    - Walk
    - Leave earlier
    - Don't change anything

Keep your "Leaps" on topic maybe.... I am not asking for your wonderful solutions to life... We are discussing the changes made to the lights and the effects they are having and how they could be rectified.

D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

buzz11 wrote: »
    The key thing thats missing at this junction are "no right turn" signs mounted on the traffic light poles, thereby directly facing a driver who is considering turning right.

they have them now, not sure if makes any difference, numpties still turn right.

Advertisement