Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help identifying an old Irish pot.

• 18-09-2015 12:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone, been a while since I posted but realize we do have an archaeological department here on board.ie so I decided to ask from some help.

I'm trying to find out the age and purpose of a pot which was found well over 50 years ago. Its been sitting in a shed for years and at first sight would remind you of any old Irish Skillet pot - but skillet pots as I know them are from my dad planting flowers in them and using them as ornaments but this one is a little different.

It weighs much more than the ones I'm used to seeing and is not cast iron or steel. It seems to be to be brass or bronze. It's about 25kg in weight while only being 18" high with a top lip diameter or 11" and roughly 16" in the middle.

When I asked I was told it was found in a field being ploughed over 50 years ago, when I asked about the field I was told it was found in a field that had been idle (at least for tillage purposes) for quite a while and was never ploghed.

All other information has really been lost through the generations I guess so i was just wondering if any could help me identify it or even know where you find out about something like this.

Also it was found in the midlands in an area that would have had lots of activity historically.

Here are some photos, many thanks.

100_1362%20-%20Copy_zpscdrcqcew.jpg

100_1359%20-%20Copy_zpswfkuicim.jpg

100_1356_zpsuy0yq6hg.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 colmwexford

It's a bronze cooking cauldron, it would have been placed over the embers of fire. These can date to the medieval period

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

is it Bronze or Copper?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭k.p.h

Ah from my experience e.g lifting copper a water cylinder its much too heavy to be copper. So I really think it is bronze.

Are these of much importance historically dose anyone know ? Where would you bring it to find out ? Is it worth anything significant or just an interesting antique ?

Personally I think its quite cool, should or can it be cleaned dose anyone know ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

k.p.h wrote: »
    Ah from my experience e.g lifting copper a water cylinder its much too heavy to be copper. So I really think it is bronze.

Are these of much importance historically dose anyone know ? Where would you bring it to find out ? Is it worth anything significant or just an interesting antique ?

Personally I think its quite cool, should or can it be cleaned dose anyone know ?
    If I was you I would email a museum.

Send the photos in. They will tell you if it's interesting. I like it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Bonedigger

It's most likely Bronze which would be stronger and more durable than Copper; the weight (approx. 25kg) would also back this up.
    It seems to have some age to it, and it might not be a bad idea to contact the National Museum of Ireland.
    It has a lovely patina and I wouldn't recommend cleaning it. Give it a wipe with a damp cloth, but that's about all.
    Here's a similar looking cooking cauldron which is medieval in date:
    http://www.futuremuseum.co.uk/collections/people/lives-in-key-periods/the-medieval-period-(1100ad-1499ad)/life-in-the-middle-ages/bronze-tripod-pot-or-cauldron.aspx

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Sound advice from Bonedigger, but I would suggest that the pot is not cleaned in any way.
    If it is early, there is a possibility (remote though it may be), that there are deposits from the original cooking residues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fries-With-That

Nice pot, would you be able to wipe it with a damp cloth and take another few pictures including one of the base, i.e. stand it on its rim and take a picture of it with the legs in the air.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭k.p.h

Nice pot, would you be able to wipe it with a damp cloth and take another few pictures including one of the base, i.e. stand it on its rim and take a picture of it with the legs in the air.

I don't live near the owner so I would not be able to wipe it with a damp cloth. Although while I was there I also took some other photos and one of the legs like you describe.

100_1360_zpscbulkekg.jpg

Anyone care to guess how old it is ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fries-With-That

From my few searches,

The small dimple or raised area in the centre of the base indicates that it was sand cast.

This pot was cast with the bottom upward and the molten metal poured in to a small hole this is what leaves the dimple, its usually ground down as you can see on your pot.

Sand cast bronze cauldrons are rare according to a reference in an online book called: west country households 1500-1700.

It would appear that you have something that may be fairly unusual.

Do a google search for my medieval foundry and you will get more interesting information including a picture of a similar pot which looks to be a lot smaller.

Like previous posters have said I think the owner should contact the National
    Museum.

Advertisement