Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quality of street lighting

Options
  • 29-01-2016 7:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭

Driving over QB one night I couldn't help but notice how dark it was. The lighting-yellow- seemed hardly effective at all. They may as well not have been there at all.

Anybody else feel the same? Are yellow lights supposed to be better than the traditional whites? Are they supposed to be at a certain height as well? If they were a few feet lower, wouldn't they be brighter?

I may have seen on the Barna road / Cybaun Road I think a few white LED (?) lights and they looked very clear. But there was only one or two of them I think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭what_traffic

White lights have not been traditional for a couple of decades now but are making a comeback.

Sections of the Western Distributor Road and Shantalla Road have been converted to use LED White lights. Much better than the sodium lights, saves on electricity and less light pollution.
    The IDA Parkmore West/East Business Parks also have been converted to use LED White lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

I live in Shantalla, and the difference that the white lights have made is amazing. Driving is so much easier for me now at night around here.

However, they do give quite a cold light. There's one right outside my house and I always think that there's a full moon out there. My son says that since they changed it (not long ago) he keeps thinking it must have snowed outside. It will just take a bit of getting used to, I presume.

It's worth it for the visibility when driving, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I always thought part of the reason for the yellow street lamps was to reduce light pollution at night?

I wouldn't mind a switch to bulbs that mimicked moon light, and LED would make me assume we're saving a lot of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

They have the Tuam Road done from Roadstone as far as the Trappers. Makes a big difference, fewer dark spots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

ScumLord wrote: »
    I always thought part of the reason for the yellow street lamps was to reduce light pollution at night?
    It can be. Light pollution is a big problem and if you're driving a car you are supposed to bring your own lights :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

I think the introduction of the white LED lights have been fantastic, primarily from a safety point of view. I drive through Shantalla every morning on the way to work and new lights are brilliant especially on dark, drizzly morning when visibility is poor. On the mankiest of mornings you will still see a cyclist coming a few hundred metres away, whereas with the old yellow sodium lights its very hard to see them on a bad morning unless they have good lights. Hopefully they will roll them out city wide.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Eeden wrote: »
    I live in Shantalla, and the difference that the white lights have made is amazing. Driving is so much easier for me now at night around here.

However, they do give quite a cold light. There's one right outside my house and I always think that there's a full moon out there. My son says that since they changed it (not long ago) he keeps thinking it must have snowed outside. It will just take a bit of getting used to, I presume.

It's worth it for the visibility when driving, though.

Ya agree re Shantalla it is great. I cycling this stretch most days and evenings and visibility is much improved(even with hub dynamo LED lights on the bike). Know what ya mean re cold light but now at least can make out colour of things along this road now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

But the white lights shows up the dirt and the shabby state of the road even more

• Registered Users Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

The thorn alpha 4 is probably the most common Street light in Ireland photoed below. They are now been replaced by LED lights

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭bobbyss

The thorn alpha 4 is probably the most common Street light in Ireland photoed below. They are now been replaced by LED lights

The good old thorn alpha 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

As a Henry Street resident the new LED lights are basically like having daylight 24/7 utter pain in the ass.
    Even with Blinds up the bedrooms at the front of the house are lit up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

RIP

Advertisement