Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice appreciated.........

Options
  • 25-01-2008 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭

Just found out today that the problems I have being having with my laptop from the start. (buy last may) ,
    Are mainly down to its ram size and Vista. (laptop came with Vista)
    So I have two choices

1 Downgrade to XP
    2 Upgrade Ram capability/size

Which is easier, cheaper or better ?

And if anyone can post how to do either it will be much appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I'd say the best thing to do is upgrade the ram. It's fairly cheap and is a piece of piss to do. Saying that if other specs are pretty low then it may be best to downgrade. What are the specs of your laptop?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

Agree, you can never have too much ram no matter what operating system your running. Cheap as chips for DDR2 ram not and you can get a 2GB stick for a laptop on memoryc for €40ish! :0

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

I'd say the best thing to do is upgrade the ram. It's fairly cheap and is a piece of piss to do. Saying that if other specs are pretty low then it may be best to downgrade. What are the specs of your laptop?

From Laptop Control Panel

System...

Manufacturer;.....................Fujitsu Siemens Computers...

Rating:........................1.0 Windows Experience Index..

Processor :................... Intel(R)..Celeron(R).M CPU 440@1.86GHz 1.86GHz

Memory(Ram)...............446 MB (was told this is the problem ?)

System Type...............32-bit Operating System

Hope this helps ,think its what you mean, I am not the greatest tech wise.
    Again thank you in advance.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I'd downgrade to xp. Even if you do get more ram the processor is gonna be dog slow on vista. The best thing to do is get an oem version of xp home. It'll cost about €100.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 480 ✭✭Barlow07

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    Just found out today that the problems I have being having with my laptop from the start. (buy last may) ,
    Are mainly down to its ram size and Vista. (laptop came with Vista)
    So I have two choices

1 Downgrade to XP
    2 Upgrade Ram capability/size

Which is easier, cheaper or better ?

And if anyone can post how to do either it will be much appreciated.

I'd buy more RAM as if i was you, the time will come when everyone will be using Vista , check out the link below. I bought RAM 2x 512MB durning the week to install.

http://www.crucial.com/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 480 ✭✭Barlow07

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    [/B]
    Memory(Ram)...............446 MB (was told this is the problem ?)

You might be better of buying as much as 2G, even if you downgrade to XP, still going to be slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 THE_NIK

Barlow07 wrote: »
    You might be better of buying as much as 2G, even if you downgrade to XP, still going to be slow.

i agree

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Holy drag up old thread batman!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement