Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guilfoyle

Options
  • 15-01-2010 6:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I have been spending the the last while researching our family tree but have hit a dead end, my great, great grandfather Loughlin Guilfoyle was born in about 1860 but thats where the road ends. There are no records of him in the 1911 census even though we know he was alive. there is a strong possibility that he was a member of the old ira and maybe thats why he didn' partake in the census.
    There arfe also a few different spellings of guilfoye (Gilfoile, Kilfoyle, Guilfile etc.) does anyone know where i can try next? Loughlin was buried in kilbeggan but we dont know where he came from.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 seanladd27

There are only 4 Loughlin Guilfoyle in the Irish Civil Registration list; http://search.labs.familysearch.org

It would be worth it to apply for certificates of proof (Birth/Marriage/Death) and thet would include other names/places and, or family.
    You can apply here(just include what you see in the Civil Registrations list)
    http://groireland.ie
    Jack

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

What else do you know about him? The new 1911 site can be manipulated in all sorts of ways. If you know his age and what county he was born in and say his profession, you might be able to narrow him down like that. It's most likely a problem with transcription but also he may have been a soldier or in prison, where they listed everyone with initials only.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 guiller

hi all.
    this man is my great great grandfather also.
    i have spent time recently looking for him and have found a little more info.
    he was born in 1867 and married mary naughton in 1892.
    he died in 1927 but although his name is marked on one head stone he is burried somewhere else in the cemetary in kilbeggan.
    i was shown this location last week by another relative.
    my interest also grew when i discovered that no guilfoyle had filled the census form in 1911 and i agree that probably it was some form of protest against british rule here that they decided not to fill in the form.
    i hope to have more info in the coming days and i will keep you posted.
    i have applied for his birth cert and hope that will bring us abck another generation.
    we have info on guilfoyles living in kilbeggan in 1831.............

regards
    BG

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

There was not very much protest to British rule in 1911 - a lot of people who did care about it filled out the census in Irish - have you considered that? Pearse, Connolly et al did theirs in Irish. Try different versions of Mac Giolla Phóil. There's one family in Drumcondra. And some more under Gilfoyle.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

Is this your page?... Cause if it's not I think you guys have another relative! This guy says Loughlin Guilfoyle, who made his life in Kilbeggan, was from Offaly?...

http://www.twistedchimneys.com/id13.html

According the ifhf website, they might have had at least 9 kids too? Surely there can't be too many kids born with a father Loughlin Guilfoyle in Wesmeath from 1894 to 1906 :D

More edits :D Wonder if two of those kids, Joseph and Patrick, are the two mentioned here http://historical-debates.oireachtas.ie/D/0002/D.0002.192302020004.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 guiller

yes these two men mentioned are his sons and a third son was also in trouble regularily with R.I.C. for republican activities.
    in fact the local judge refered to them as his " curly haired prisoners "
    that guy who wrote twisted chimney is a relative but he has no documentation to prove about loughlin being born in offaly.
    i have applied in tullamore for birth cert and any records they have about loughlin and hopefully that will move us on a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 guilstr09

Guill wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I have been spending the the last while researching our family tree but have hit a dead end, my great, great grandfather Loughlin Guilfoyle was born in about 1860 but thats where the road ends. There are no records of him in the 1911 census even though we know he was alive. there is a strong possibility that he was a member of the old ira and maybe thats why he didn' partake in the census.
    There arfe also a few different spellings of guilfoye (Gilfoile, Kilfoyle, Guilfile etc.) does anyone know where i can try next? Loughlin was buried in kilbeggan but we dont know where he came from.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    what is your name? we have a picture of him and his wife we also have a copybook in it there is recordings of his families dates of bith

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

Hello Mark, its gary here, DUH!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 nguilfoy

Have you tried this site. http://ifhf.brsgenealogy.com/search.php I was able to get the baptismal and marriage certificates for my Kilbeggan Guilfoyle ancestors. I would be interested in the eary 1800s info. I have a James Guilfoyle who married Margaret Finley and emigrated to Philadelphia around 1852. His children were Peter (his father was also Peter), John and Anne).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Raycomerford

Louglin Guilfoyle was my great Grandfather - James (Jim) Guilfoyle, married to Florence Holmes, buried in Kilbeggan, was my grandfather. I too have been trying to research the Guilfoyle branch of my family but hit a brick wall. Any information that you have found would be very welcome.

These are records of some Gulilfoyle headstones in Kilbeggan cemetery.

Pauline Guilfoyle
    4, St Mary's Ave
    15/5/1989 (3)
    Malachy (Locky) Guilfoyle
    Barley hill,
    13/1/1988
    (the name on the stone surround is Mac Giolla Phoil)
    Elizabeth Guilfoyle (Lily) (nee Byrne)
    23/11/978 (In New York)
    Hus; Patrick; 19/4/1985
    Florence Guilfoyle
    2 St James Tce
    22/1/1979
    Hus; Michael; 29/4/1983
    Florence Guilfoyle
    Birr & Thurles
    17/11/1977
    Hus; James; 16/9/1983
    Mary Guilfoyle
    5/10/1927
    Hus; Loughlin; 30/10/1927
    Dtr; Elizabeth; 1/6/1972
    Dtr; Nellie; 15/7/1993 (98)
    Thomas Guilfoyle
    Main st
    3/8/1968
    Wife; Mary; 23/12/1971
    Joseph Guilfoyle (late Old I.R.A.)
    Dublin rd
    15/1/1982

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Raycomerford

Thanks for that! I had found a family in Galway in 1911 Census that met some of the criteria but it didn't tally with any of the information that I had on the Kilbeggan Guilfoyles.
    Ray

• Registered Users Posts: 2 banking

the 1911 census for kilbeggan main street etc are not on microfilm and will appear later in the year. mygrandfathers sister was married to john guilfoyle and they lived at blackhill. keeo up the good work.

The 1901 census is on-line now,
    http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Jack M G

So you must be a Smith, Jack.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 banking

yes i am- tullamore. any history on the guilfoyles of blackhill? i have emigrated from tullamore to west cork. how are phil & mick? regards..

Mick and Phil are fine as far as I know, I have lived in the USA for many years, I'm from Barley Hill, Lockie was my Father, I figured you must be one of Peadar Smiths, both of them loved to knock a "few half ones" back whenever they met. Jack.

Your Great Grandmother Mary was well loved, and is well remembered in Kilbeggan, she was an accomplished musician and very much involved in local Drama and Musicals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Rmcdonough

My gr gr grandfather is Loughlin Lee b. circa 1800 in Kilbeggan, Westmeath. He married Catherine Guilfoyle. (Kilfolle). Perhaps he's your Loughlin Guilfoyle's godfather/uncle and he took his name. Just a theory.

• Advertisement
Advertisement