Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Beware of Coppers says CNN

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Wompa1

ElleEm wrote: »
    Don't tell us you're Irish (you're not!) and don't wear green.

....Unless you're a president...correction democrat president..

All this thread signals to me is that we as a nation need to get off our high horse. We should be friendly to tourists, soon tourism will be our only source of income! :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭theboss80

Wompa1 wrote: »
    All this thread signals to me is that we as a nation need to get off our high horse. We should be friendly to tourists, soon tourism will be our only source of income! :-)

Tir Na nOg or the Horse Outside?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Lord Derpington

fukcing tabloids, what cnn actually said about coppers was
    Those in search of the dirty singles scene might entertain the idea of hitting Copper Face Jacks -- a local institution, described in disgusted tones by my Dubliner friends as "a meatmarket," "full of nurses and gardaí (Irish police)," and "hell on earth." But, you know, wildly popular with the locals.
    You've been officially warned.

Source

I like point;
    Most pubs close at 11:30 p.m. on weeknights and 1a.m. on weekends. Something about curbing alcoholism. Well done.
    Well done indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭this is arse

TBH, all solid advice.

No mention of token-irish-leprechaun-guy at the top of Grafton St

Is he Irish? I always assumed that he was some Romanian trying it from a different angle...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Spend as little time in Dublin as you can manage. Head for Galway or Cork as soon as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭ImpossibleDuck

Dont say "good day mate"!!! We do not say that!!!
    Let's put another shrimp on the barbie!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 683 ✭✭✭JazzyJ

Whats Coppers?

I've never heard of it:confused:

It's a hell on earth nightclub with a dirty singles scene. Located simultaneously in Dublin and Portlaoise.

http://www.ratemypub.ie/pub.php?county=Dublin&pub=Copper-Face-Jacks

http://www.ratemypub.ie/pub.php?county=Laois&pub=Coppers

Someone should franchise it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭previous user

Avoid Dublin altogether,
    it's full of elitest D4 tossers and Northside scum.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭pajunior

Avoid Dublin altogether,
    it's full of elitest D4 tossers and Northside scum.

A good old country boy jealous of the lads in the big shhhhhmoke :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

[EMAIL="DON@T"]DON'T[/EMAIL] forget to tip the locals...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭previous user

pajunior wrote: »

Ehh no I'm actually from Dublin. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

Dirty singles scene? I hope this doesn't sound weird, but what exactly qualifies as a 'wholesome' singles scene?

where you meet someone and have sex with them in a bed as opposed to in the jacks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

Dont order a macaroni cheese sandwich and a glass of burgandy and think you are deadly. Your not!

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭milehip1

rossie1977 wrote: »
    best place in town after a big gaa match, i was there the night mayo beat dublin in 2006 and the dublin freetaker mark vaughn got into a fight with a fan

Was the fan from Dublin or Mayo?

Says the gentleman from Celbridge:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭kildare9

PAjunior, A Celbridge man, talking about the big smoke as if hes from there :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

theboss80 wrote: »

DON’T call an Irish person British: CNN advises that tourists should brush up on their Irish history and be sure to know that the Republic of Ireland is not part of the UK.

?

Like checking their plane ticket?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

Jasus

It didnt mention the Irish Leprechaun Museum thats an "ONLY GO IF YOU ARE BEING THREATHENED WITH A BLOOD FILLED SYRINGE"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

where you meet someone and have sex with them in a bed as opposed to in the jacks

In the jacks? That's disgusting, I like to show girls that I'm thoughtful, so over to the corner of the smoking area is the best.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

I never go near Coppers, I'm lactose intolerant and so have to avoid easy singles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Azureus

''In the jacks? That's disgusting, I like to show girls that I'm thoughtful, so over to the corner of the smoking area is the best. ''

^ Saw that happening too many times to be convinced your joking! :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

Don't walk into Dr. Quirkey's Good Time Emporium and expect a good time

Or expect medical attention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

dont eat chips in burdocks cause its shite

Absolute lies...

ColHol wrote: »
    Alternatively, for a real life exhibition, go to Leitrim

Mayo is much boggier than Leitrim. Only in Mayo could you produce Cora Staunton.

Beef nuts she was fed on, beef nuts..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

I think the main thing that people need to remember is that if you're visiting Ireland you need to hire a car and drive places a.s.a.p. none of the cities are large enough to keep you entertained for more than a day or two at most and you'll be missing a hell of a lot of interesting stuff if you park yourself in Dublin, Cork, Galway or anywhere else for the entire trip.

Also, due to population densities being low, in general public transport is not an appropriate way of seeing the country.

Finally, it rains here in Ireland, Scotland and most of England rather a lot. Do not expect to come here for a sunshine holiday and if it does rain, do not moan about it and write blogs about it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

Fran1985 wrote: »
    you brought your girlfriend to Coppers??? School boy error

Apple to an orchard and all that!

Well the apples in this orchard are the ones that fell to the ground months ago and are rotten to the core!

kildare9 wrote: »
    PAjunior, A Celbridge man, talking about the big smoke as if hes from there :pac:

Or someone from Kildare that doesn't have an inferiority complex when it comes to Dublin.

Lived in Limerick and spent lots of time in Galway and Cork and I can easily say that Dublin is the best city in the country. People around Ireland claim to hate it but I always find that it's jealousy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Or someone from Kildare that doesn't have an inferiority complex when it comes to Dublin.

Lived in Limerick and spent lots of time in Galway and Cork and I can easily say that Dublin is the best city in the country. People around Ireland claim to hate it but I always find that it's jealousy.

But, isn't it also possible that people just don't like Dublin because it's a pretty lousy city? I live in Galway and it drives me insane, it's too small, I don't particularly like the people but I really don't like Dublin. I've got to know it better in the last few years, some parts of it are ok but as a city in general I just don't like it....I didn't like Los Angeles either..is that jealousy too?

Wompa1 wrote: »
    But, isn't it also possible that people just don't like Dublin because it's a pretty lousy city? I live in Galway and it drives me insane, it's too small, I don't particularly like the people but I really don't like Dublin. I've got to know it better in the last few years, some parts of it are ok but as a city in general I just don't like it....I didn't like Los Angeles either..is that jealousy too?

Sorry didn't mean to say always, meant mostly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

I'm from Dublin originally and I really don't find it a very attractive city to spend time in.

In general I find that Dublin has an over-blown sense of how big it is. In general. It has a lot of sprawl and suburban stuff, but in general the city centre itself is pretty unimpressive.

I live in Cork and I would have to say that it's a far more livable urban space than Dublin is. It has almost all of the same shops, facilities and everything else. It has a really good cultural vibe to it too with quite a lot going on at night but it doesn't have many of the down sides of Dublin.

The main thing that puts me off Dublin is the fact that you are regularly accosted by junkies. It happens at bus stops, at Luas stops, at ATMs. I even found sitting out in terraces outside cafés can be kind of scary when you just keep on getting approached by people looking for cash.

Also in the past few years. I was living in Ballsbridge and we had cars torched in our carpark outside the apartment. We were broken into twice and I have had my car vandalised in Dublin on more occasions than I care to remember e.g. wipers snapped off, scratched, mirrors broken that kind of petty thing while parked in the city centre.

All that stuff puts me off the city in a huge way.

Also, I find if I want to go to an actual big city I will tend to just get a Ryanair flight to London, Paris or somewhere with an actual bit of scale.

I'm not just trying to mindlessly slag Dublin off, but it has to tackle some of the thuggery and the heroin problem. I really many Dubliners are oblivious to how bad it is and how bad it looks.

The situation is not the same in Cork and it's not the same in most other European cities that I am familiar with.

Dublin's heroine problem is really 'in your face' the minute you set foot in the city centre.

The characters hanging around outside Huston and Connolly stations are absolutely frightening and nobody seems to do anything about it.

I also find that most suburban Dubliners tend to stay in the suburbs / shopping centres which kind of undermines the city centre in a lot of ways.

It just never feels like it has managed to morph into a 'living, breathing city' which I think is something that Cork has managed to pull off very well, especially since the refurbishment of the city centre etc since the 2000s.

I'm not trying to slag off Dublin, rather give it some constructive criticism.

It really needs to take a look at itself and stop pretending that the City = the area around Grafton Street.

There are large swathes of the city centre that have huge potential but were let go into wreck and ruin from the 1950s onwards and they have never recovered.

The drugs problem is also out of hand and it is not being addressed properly and has been let grow and grow over the past decade under FF's incompetent rule. That has to change!

It's like Dubliners have become completely desensitised to the problems around them. That's never a good thing as they will not be addressed if someone's not pointing them out.

Also, when it comes to night life, the licensing laws in Ireland are utterly ridiculous. They have to be liberalised to allow later opening and proper night clubs. The current system is a complete joke and it does nothing to discourage drinking and causes the usual problems of dumping very drunk people into the streets in vast numbers.
    (not unique to Dublin, but still from a tourism point of view it's a big deal)

Dublin city centre is a not a living space as such. There are only small pockets of the city centre where people live. These are mainly poor, local authority areas where pride of place is not high on the agenda for far too many people. Because of this very few Dubliners take ownership of the city centres problems because they are not their problems. They simply do not occur on their doorstep. If the same heroin problem occurred in Madrid there'd be uproar beacause it was occurring on the middle class' door step. In many large cities the heroin problem has been moved off site to poor suberbs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭Lirange

Dirty singles scene? I hope this doesn't sound weird, but what exactly qualifies as a 'wholesome' singles scene?

Salt Lake City

Advertisement