Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It seems like RTE are trying to instill a fear of flying in people

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

I don't agree with this at all, the Air Crash Investigation series doesn't distort reality or facts IMO. They use primary sources and interview those who were directly involved with the investigation showing how they arrived at their conclusions. I'm not a big fan of the "how the crash affected the passanger/family" bits but overall it's a fair portrait of the actual events. If anything it actually highlights just how safe air travel is since many of the crashes were due to a freak chain of events and how the industry remedied/mitigated the chances of it happening again.

Ah right.

I didn't see this particular series.

I just read the thread, and it appeared to be the same old tripe, different topic, going by the comments.

Even though I haven't seen it, while they may use primary sources, I bet they still follow a similar structure to those other shows?

Anyway, I probably shouldn't be randomly giving opinions on a a show I have not seen!

Apologies. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭cyberhog

heyjude wrote: »
    So far from scaring people into not flying, I think these programmes actually reassure people that such incidents are rare,

Well I don't see the BBC "reassuring" UK viewers with a constant diet of crashes and hijackings. In fact, I can't remember the last time I saw an airline disaster programme on the BBC Channel4 or UTV whereas RTE show some sort of incident almost every other week.

It might help reassure people if such programmes were only shown occasionally but I still believe RTE's obsession with plane crashes is more likely to instill fear.

Advertisement