Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slower laptop after upgrading ram!

Options
  • 08-09-2008 11:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭

I recently replaced the ram in my 2 and a half year old laptop from 2x512mb to 2x1gb. However, the laptop seems to respond a lot slower now with the extra memory than it used to. Anyone know what could have went wrong?

I'm thinking of taking the two 1gb sticks back out and putting the two 512mb sticks in again.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭ytareh

Are they the same 'speed' ram (numbers like 3200/4300/5300/6700/8000 etc)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

Yep, they are the same, both 2700. Can't figure out why the laptop seems more sluggish now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭Zorba

When u booted up the laptop after upgrading the ram did it recognise it straight away and tell u there's now 2 gb of ram in it ?

Also if u right click my computer and go into properties does the ram show up there ?

And finally is the ram the same speed as the one u took out as in was the old ram 2700 too ?

Another thing is are u sure your laptop can handle this much ram, it might only recognise say 1 gb of ram.

Yep the ram shows up in my computer and it's the same speed as the old ram I took out. I upgraded two different laptops at the same time, the other one had a noticable improvement while my laptop had a noticable disprovement!

Maybe it is that the computer can't handle 2gb of ram, how do I find this out?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Model number and Make?

MC

• Advertisement

It's a HP Pavilion dv1501.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,438 ✭✭✭✭kippy

You may need to change the size of the swap file, as well as looking at what has already been suggested.
    Right click my computer-properties-advanced-Under performance, hit advanced-advanced again-change virtual memory paging file to system managed-hit set. Apply-restart.
    (That's obviously a very rough run through-exact instructions can be found in google "change page file size in xp")

• Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭xbox36016

just get a new laptop

xbox36016 wrote: »
    just get a new laptop

Yeah, when stuff doesnt work as it should, just buy a new one........that makes sense. No need for mechanics, IT support or even doctors anymore.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Maybe set some performance counters to see if it actual is slower or just perceived slower because of something else.

• Advertisement

Any update on this, tis an interesting issue.
    I had another thought today that it could be faulty RAM.
    Kippy

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I think it's related to swapfile: if you have the size set to be controlled by the system, it will have been enlarged after you installed the new RAM, and gotten fragmented. This is what I would do:
    - turn the swapfile(s) off altogether, in System Properties / Advanced / Performance etc.
    - restart the system
    - check that the space has been freed up (you should see 2-3 GB more disk
    space than before
    - run Disk Cleanup (under Accessories / System) to free up more space
    - open a command line, and check the disk fragmentation level: defrag c: /a
    - if it looks bad, defragment the disk when you have time: defrag c: /v
    - after that, try running without a swapfile for a while, and use Task Manager to see how much of the 2GB gets used. You might be surprised...

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

Advertisement