Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Computer

Options
  • 03-07-2008 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭

My Dell Latitude is on it's last legs and I'm getting ready to upgrade.

I was initially thinking of getting a ultraportable laptop like the Sony Vaio TZ but I've been having a look at the ASUS Eee PC and I think it would meet most of my portable needs.

So thinking of getting one of those plus say a Dell desktop.

Anyone else use that kind of combination?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭SolarNexus

why on earth would you need two laptops.

bear in mind this is from a guy with 7-8 computers just 'cause :p, but still... is two necessary?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Deadeyes

The only thing I'd say about the ASUS Eee PC, is that they seem to have a new one out every week. Since I first looked at getting one of these there has been about three new releases, I know tech moves fast but they're being rediculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭SolarNexus

Deadeyes wrote: »
    The only thing I'd say about the ASUS Eee PC, is that they seem to have a new one out every week. Since I first looked at getting one of these there has been about three new releases, I know tech moves fast but they're being rediculous.

I cant imagine that happening as much; the original eee was a toe in the water affair, it wasnt quite as polished as the newer models. and mores to the point, the newer models are increasingly more expensive than the last - theres only so much you can pack into that small frame for a certain price. I think EEE may have platued for a while with the 900 series myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

SolarNexus wrote: »
    I cant imagine that happening as much; the original eee was a toe in the water affair, it wasnt quite as polished as the newer models. and mores to the point, the newer models are increasingly more expensive than the last - theres only so much you can pack into that small frame for a certain price. I think EEE may have platued for a while with the 900 series myself.

The 900 has already been rumoured to be stopped production soon for the new 901 with the atom processor although i would be very happy with the 900. Also rumours of a 902, 903, etc....

OP, I think the Asus EEE-Pc 900 is a good bet and maybe get a very cheap desktop as the EEE-Pc is good on the go but does not have the space and power at home in terms of the hard drive (SSD for the Asus), the comfort and the general ease of use of desktops.

I think the sony Tz series is good but very pricey. If only using it for basic then the Asus will do and the Sony would only be better in my book due to its savage battery life.

If you want a dell desktop then keep an eye on the thread on the dell offers in the bargain alerts forum. Good offers regularly come in there. Many good deals there.

Thinking of getting the Asus soon myself and am very much looking forward to it if i decide to get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭PH4T

chris85 wrote: »
    OP, I think the Asus EEE-Pc 900 is a good bet and maybe get a very cheap desktop as the EEE-Pc is good on the go but does not have the space and power at home in terms of the hard drive (SSD for the Asus), the comfort and the general ease of use of desktops.

Yeah I am considering the 900/901. Hopefully get someone to pick one up for me over in the states.

• Advertisement
Advertisement