Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Will you wear an Easter Lily ?

• 16-04-2014 10:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭

Just saw Gerry on RTE wearing his Easter Lily , and it reminded me its that time of year again.

I will be wearing one all Easter .

Will you ?

Wear an Easter Lily 98 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 98 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

Yes, right inbetween my poppy and swastika.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,791 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

No, don't wear a poppy or a lilly. Occasionally a daffodil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

No, for the same reason I won't be wearing a poppy...no-matter what way they're spun they're a symbol of war and killing.

However I notice that a lot of people who would be pro wearing the poppy would be very anti of wearing the Lilly...in my view you can't have it both ways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Just saw Gerry on RTE wearing his Easter Lily , and it reminded me its that time of year again.

Will you ?

Yes. I have worn one every easter for the last twenty years or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Jonny Blaze

Will you ?

Not the metric tonnes of easter eggs in every shop in the country?

EDIT: Also, what the hell is an easter lily?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Yes...as rightly or wrongly it's to remember Ireland's patriot dead (noone set out to die.so others could sneer st them)...now...not to get into pointless rows about what type...it's better to see people wear it than not..IMO

It shouldn't be forced on anyone either..I have worn one since I turned 18..only one in family/friends that do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Will you ?

Is yours a pin-on or a stickie?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭solomafioso

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

No, I'm not particularly comfortable with what it represents. Same goes for the poppy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

foggy_lad wrote: »

Its pin-on bought on eBay

• Advertisement

foggy_lad wrote: »

Pin on

I'm aware of difference alright...but it is still better to see people wear them than not IMO.its not half encouraged enough...I really dislike the way it is frowned upon/sneered at

No, I'm not particularly comfortable with what it represents. Same goes for the poppy.

I understand people's justifiable reservations...but come back here soon enough and youl see anyone wearing them dismissed as knaxkers...which is wrong...when all it is is remember Ireland's patriot (no matter how misguided) dead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Could you of not just bumped last year's thread asking the same damn boring question?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

I'm sporting a forget-me-not for Organ Donation atm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭thegreatgonzo

Never heard of it before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

Definitely not. Would not have anything to do with murders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Nope. If they had some flower associated with the War of Independence I'd wear that. The Easter Rising was romantic no-hope bullshít.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭pojfexcsc

I identify as a Republican but I wont be wearing one simply because I never have and dont really feel the need to.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭hjkl

I'm not even sure where you can get one tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

I won't as I am not a republican but are they even on sale in Dublin? I don't recall seeing them.

• Advertisement

frimpong wrote: »
    I'm not even sure where you can get one tbh.

Any mid sized rural town..freely available

COYW wrote: »
    I won't as I am not a republican but are they even on sale in Dublin? I don't recall seeing them.
    Parnell Sq probably, if anyone really wants one.

Nope. If they had some flower associated with the War of Independence I'd wear that. The Easter Rising was romantic no-hope bullshít.

What flower is available all year round though as WOI went on for two years more or less??
    Is it not accepted that easter rising and executions after it gave rise and strengthing the movement for Irish independence/republicanism?

So what would you prefer to see?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

Anyone know where I could get one in Carlow?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭Stavros Murphy

Could you of not just bumped last year's thread asking the same damn boring question?

If avoiding that is the aim, last one out turn off the lights. We're done. Several times over.. :D

Anyone know where I could get one in Carlow?

'RA, sorry, Sinn Fein office

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Wouldn't feel comfortable wearing one at all and never will but each to their own.

anncoates wrote: »
    Wouldn't feel comfortable wearing one but each to their own.

Only put the pin into your lapel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

efb wrote: »
    Only put the pin into your lapel
    Are you calling me a sticky? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

No, seeing as I wasn't there and know no-one who was involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Míshásta

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Sound of Silence

I'm a Nationalist and I won't be wearing one. I just don't get why these pins or badges need to exist.

Like, who perpetuated the notion that we like wearing stickers and badges so much? It's my firm belief that this is all a conspiracy concocted by those charity bucket-shakers you see standing in the street. They love stickers way too much.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 216 ✭✭Tommy Dillon

I would if i could get my hands on one...
    Where would you get one and why arent they sold more widely?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Oh well, it's painful, and obvious, but beats the 'why aren't the pubs open on Good Friday' thread.

What flower is available all year round though as WOI went on for two years more or less??
    Is it not accepted that easter rising and executions after it gave rise and strengthing the movement for Irish independence/republicanism?

So what would you prefer to see?
    Bit of grass wrapped in baling twine, be grand. Or else pick a flower in bloom when the treaty was signed, or when the first hostile shot was fired. Poppies aren't in bloom the whole year either so they picked a day ( was it ww1 v-day? ) and went with it to represent the whole war.

The fallout from the ER was a happy accident. If rather than being captured they'd all, say died of wounds after a long convalescence, or if instead of being executed, had been deported or put to work doing hard labour, it's doubtful that support would have been galvanized for the movement as readily as it was.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Just buy a bunch of lilies, break one off and sellotape/staple it to yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I will to be sure. Wear one every year. Usually just wear those paper ones, have about 100 of them at home in an envelope but our local Sinn Fein councillor is selling nice pins so I might get one of those this year. Splash out like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

If you want me to send you some pm me! I have a hape of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Notorious97

Was waiting for this thread to pop up as it always does!

Anyway, yes i will be wearing one as i have done for as long as i can remember.

I for one am very proud and grateful of the sacrifices of brave irish men and women who fought and died for our country during the easter rising and also the war of independance.

Each to their own but thats my comment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Was waiting for this thread to pop up as it always does!

Anyway, yes i will be wearing one as i have done for as long as i can remember.

I for one am very proud and grateful of the sacrifices of brave irish men and women who fought and died for our country during the easter rising and also the war of independance.

Each to their own but thats my comment.
    How does your employer feel about this?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I've been wearing the same pin for over 30 years.

I'll also pay my respects to our patriot dead with my annual visit (with my children) to the patriots plot in Glasnevin cemetery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭6781

Yes I'll be wearing one to remember those who made the ultimate sacrifice for our county.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭orangesoda

No but I have respect for those gallant sons of Hibernia especially Ulsters own Tom Clarke

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    How does your employer feel about this?

Never had them comment on it to be honest, i also never ram my opinion down someones throat or bang on about history etc with people in work.

At the end of the day i cannot see how any irish person can criticise me for remembering the people who helped set up our state by wearing a pin, especially in work. I understand people extend it for all volunteers who died for ireland, including those during the troubles etc, but i state in my original post who i wear it for and dont feel i should feel ashamed of them or feel bad for remembering them.

I work with people from all around the world and wouldnt challenge anyone wearing a poppy or some other symbol if they wished to do so, as long as they are not forcing their views down peoples necks.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Rachiee

I have some level of respect for the rising but feel the lily has now become far too much associated with Sinn Fein. So wouldn't wear it for that reason.

Never had them comment on it to be honest, i also never ram my opinion down someones throat or bang on about history etc with people in work.

At the end of the day i cannot see how any irish person can criticise me for remembering the people who helped set up our state by wearing a pin, especially in work. I understand people extend it for all volunteers who died for ireland, including those during the troubles etc, but i state in my original post who i wear it for and dont feel i should feel ashamed of them or feel bad for remembering them.

I work with people from all around the world and wouldnt challenge anyone wearing a poppy or some other symbol if they wished to do so, as long as they are not forcing their views down peoples necks.
    Most people hold the lily in little regard because it also represents the pIRA and other republican terrorist organisations. Even the original IRA of the war of independence who you celebrate were not above killing civilians who got in the way. In my home town two people were killed in cross fire during an IRA ambush on an RIC patrol.

It's for that reason and others I would never wear an Easter lily.

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    Most people hold the lily in little regard because it also represents the pIRA and other republican terrorist organisations. Even the original IRA of the war of independence who you celebrate were not above killing civilians who got in the way. In my home town two people were killed in cross fire during an IRA ambush on an RIC patrol.

It's for that reason and others I would never wear an Easter lily.

Thats fair enough, you have your reasons why not to and i have mine why i will, i cant sit here and rant at you when you have your own reasons why you feel that way

As i said in my initial post, thats who i wear it for and why.

I wouldnt like to see it forced on people to wear, has to be a personal preference in my opinion, as should any act of rememberence.

Thats fair enough, you have your reasons why not to and i have mine why i will, i cant sit here and rant at you when you have your own reasons why you feel that way

As i said in my initial post, thats who i wear it for and why.

I wouldnt like to see it forced on people to wear, has to be a personal preference in my opinion, as should any act of rememberence.
    I understand your position but you stated in your original post you don't understand why any Irish person could criticise you for wearing a lily. Well now you do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

efb wrote: »
    'RA, sorry, Sinn Fein office

Don't think there is a Sinn Fein office in Carlow. Do regular shops sell them?

Don't think there is a Sinn Fein office in Carlow. Do regular shops sell them?
    I would hope not but I suspect the odd one probably does.

• Advertisement
Advertisement