Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

City & Utd Who will finish higher and why?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭Dante

Manchester City - I follow another team
    United will finish top. Why? Three words: Sir Alex Ferguson.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭DoctorGonzo08

the differce is uniteds success on the pitch won them the money, where as city's only way they can win it is if the money buys it

Aah, so thats it. Here was me thinking, foreign sponsorship and marketing in the Middle East, Asia and America had something to do with it. Or the cash they got for Beckham & Ronaldo might have something to do with it. Or your takeovers? Or your ridiculously big debt?

But you are right. City should hand back all money invested in them and in the Manchester area. Who would you like from the squad? Silva, Mario, Kompany, De Jong? What? How much? Don't worry about it, sure your Utd, we'll accept an IOU!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Aah, so thats it. Here was me thinking, foreign sponsorship and marketing in the Middle East, Asia and America had something to do with it. Or the cash they got for Beckham & Ronaldo might have something to do with it. Or your takeovers? Or your ridiculously big debt?

All of this is a direct result of success on the pitch.

I don't even know what this stupid argument is about but it's pretty ****ing obvious...

Man UTD: Success = Money
    Man City: Money = ?????

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

Manchester Utd - I'm a Utd fan
    All of this is a direct result of success on the pitch.

I don't even know what this stupid argument is about but it's pretty ****ing obvious...

Man UTD: Success = Money
    Man City: Money = ?????

This is nonsense.

Back in the 80's, there was, big money for the day spent on players at united, in the days when £1M was a lot to be spending, see back in the late 80's united were in the doldrums, and had been for a long time, they had spent years under the shadow of Liverpool.

Enter J.P. McManus and John Magnier, who proceed to invest a fair sum into the club. Sure, they got their hands on the FA cup, but the league title eluded them. During this time they also hire Fergie, but still he finds it difficult in the beginning so another heavy round of investing begins. Still, it takes Fergie some time and he comes close to the sack, but, they finally get it right, with a core squad of admittedly great talent who were bought, they eventually win the title again in 92/93.

So please spare us the whole 'buying the title' line, it's long worn out and hypocritical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,342 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

the money argument again... delightful.

1) Utd got successful at exactly the right time. the Premier League Era had just hit, and they plundered markets around the world, allied with success on the pitch, with huge success. and fair play. also, the Edwards family, among others, bankrolled them in the late 80s/early 90s, so they aren't holier than thou there either.

2) for anyone below Utd, Liverpool, Arsenal and maybe Spurs, to really compete...they need huge foreign investment. that's a fact. so i don't bregrudge them any of it. it's annoying, yes, but it's the only way the apple cart will be properly shaken.

it will be short term. City in its current guise won't be around for ever. just like football being a rich man's game to the degree it is, won't be like that forever.

people begrudging City because of their money do make me laugh. i mean, there is no other way they would ever be successful. i think they all realise that. we just have to deal with it and find a way to beat them. that's fine with me.

it makes it all a little bit more interesting.

anyway, an answer to the OP, i predicted at the start of the season that City will win the League, so I'll stick with that. i think Bobby has, by and large, figured out what Rafa only figured out for us when it was too late...that you have to put lesser teams to the sword. i think it will be close though, due to Utd's ability to beat the lesser teams so efficiently, plus, it wouldn't surprise me if they won all their home games for the rest of the season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

SlickRic wrote: »
    2) for anyone below Utd, Liverpool, Arsenal and maybe Spurs, to really compete...they need huge foreign investment. that's a fact. so i don't bregrudge them any of it. i

I completely disagree with this. Once FFP rules come into play, what clubs need to compete? A long-term strategy with a focus on developing youth, their stadium and their commercial operations, while playing attractive football. The way United made themselves, the way Arsenal are making themselves, the way Spurs are trying to make themselves.

If City or Chelsea didn't get invested huge money, teams like Spurs and Chelsea would be doing much better, because they are well run clubs. They would be able to push on and get regular CL football.

It's not the dominance of the United's that stops the development of other clubs, it's places like City and Chelsea. Why? Because they operate outside of normal business. They can afford to over-pay for players, they can afford ludicrous wages, and in the end, clubs like United get by one prestige and trophies, but clubs like Spurs etc. will lose out. FFP can't come soon enough for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

As a United supporter I'm not too bothered by the whole money argument. City have a seemingly endless supply of cash, good for them! You can't buy success. Sure you can buy the players, coaches, facilities but at then end of the day they have to play well as a team. The big difference this year is City are playing like a team. Getting Teves out of the team I think is a huge positive. At the moment everyone, with the exception of Tevez, seems to want to be part of the City team. Assuming everyone stays happy and the team continues to play well there is no reason why City couldn't win the league. They have cover for injuries in every position, Mancini seems to have the tactics right this year that is getting the best out of the players he has.

But that could change. I worry about the wages the players are on. The number of quality players in the squad means they can't all play at the same time. Squad rotation is good but if you hit form with a certain lineup you'd be crazy to change it too often. that could mean some top class players sitting on the bench for extended periods of time. Yes they might be getting 200k a week but still they might get unsettled. Jealousy may set in as well for some of the players who aren't earning as much as others. All of this could affect the team

I also worry that such high wages doesn't always earn respect for the club from the player, Tevez being the obvious example of this.

So it's very interesting to see what the long term success of city will be. They will do well this year but will the players stay around for the longterm? Will the cash the manager has availble tempt him to keep buying better and better players or will he build from what he's got?

That's the big question and the main difference between United and City still. United got their money and bought good players (Keane, Cole, Yorke, Cantona, Ronaldo, Rooney, Nani) but at the same time they always had a few homegrown players in the squad who had come up through the ranks and loved the club (Giggs, Scholes, the two Nevilles, Butt, Beckham, Brown, O'Shea, Wellbeck). If City get their youth development working and emulate United then they could well be in it for the long run.

PHB wrote: »
    I completely disagree with this. Once FFP rules come into play, what clubs need to compete? A long-term strategy with a focus on developing youth, their stadium and their commercial operations, while playing attractive football. The way United made themselves, the way Arsenal are making themselves, the way Spurs are trying to make themselves.

If City or Chelsea didn't get invested huge money, teams like Spurs and Chelsea would be doing much better, because they are well run clubs. They would be able to push on and get regular CL football.

It's not the dominance of the United's that stops the development of other clubs, it's places like City and Chelsea. Why? Because they operate outside of normal business. They can afford to over-pay for players, they can afford ludicrous wages, and in the end, clubs like United get by one prestige and trophies, but clubs like Spurs etc. will lose out. FFP can't come soon enough for me.

It is Utd's dominance that halts the development. They had a golden era in Youth development that saw the two Nevilles, Scholes, Beckham and Giggs come through within a couple of years. They were a powerhouse of wealth and investment and got to keep their players. What have you produced since?

City have had elite development in Youth for years. And what happened? Chelsea came in and took SWP and more recently Daniel Sturridge. Haven't forgotten Fergie's mission to try and poach Micah for years either.

The fact is Utd have always been bank rolled, and I find it a bit pathetic to try and take another teams achievments off them crying about money. Take a leaf out of Fergies book and accept the challenge.

His own words were Blackburn came, challenged and I overcame them. Then came Liverpool and Arsenal, and I saw both of them off. Chelsea were next, and I trumped them. Now comes City and I relish the challenge, Its why I'm in football. If I was a Utd fan I'd take pride in that, rather than making excuses.

I also worry that such high wages doesn't always earn respect for the club from the player, Tevez being the obvious example of this.

That is the biggest worry. If the Sheik loses his interest in the club and pulls out, City will free fall to League 1. But that's football, and its unfortunatley what City fans are used to :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

City have had elite development in Youth for years. And what happened? Chelsea came in and took SWP and more recently Daniel Sturridge. Haven't forgotten Fergie's mission to try and poach Micah for years either.

Ah yes, the unstoppable force that is SWP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

. City should hand back all money invested in them...

It's not an investment as there will be no return. It's an injection of capital, a gift, exactly like Chelsea. Its not a returns and profit organisation. In finanical terms City is a failing Company, but they have billionaire owners who can take money from elsewhere to pump into their toy.

The investment isn't just in City for the Sheik, but in Manchester. He is developing all the lands around Eastlands with a view to bring in a large industrial area as well as recreation and training facilities. He also is expanding his Etihad brand over hear using Manchester T1 as his UK base. He sees the Club as an investment and a possible branding he can improve.

Chelsea is different. Roman needed a public front to get him safe from the Kremlin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

Manchester Utd - I'm a Utd fan
    more silly arguments about money.......some of you guys must be married to each other :pac::pac:

more silly arguments about money.......some of you guys must be married to each other :pac::pac:

Agreed. I'll conceed and let the thread go back on topic. (Sorry for the rant)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭VW 1

It is Utd's dominance that halts the development. They had a golden era in Youth development that saw the two Nevilles, Scholes, Beckham and Giggs come through within a couple of years. They were a powerhouse of wealth and investment and got to keep their players. What have you produced since?

There was a game at the tail end of last season iirc, and it was the first time since before the 1950's that United didnt have a homegrown player in the squad. I remember seeing it on twitter, maybe someone who can remember it more clearly than I can can clarify the exact figures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

It would be very interesting to see if the spending Utd carried out in pursuit of their first league title under Ferguson would be allowable under FFP, I reckon it'd be anything but.

In my opinion, FFP is a little bit of a joke. While I'm sure there is decent intentions somewhere with it, in my view it's as much designed to try & stop the likes of PSG & City catching the traditional big boys of European football.

The likes of Utd & Madrid have been allowed build their clubs up to what they are in no small part by using massive injections of money into the team over generations-thereby increasing success, fanbase, stadium size etc etc, which now mean they can generate way more cash (therefore spend more under FFP) than any other clubs. Doesn't quite strike me as totally fair.

It's simply going to increase the gap between the have & the have nots in my view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Said I'd bump this to see what people think now. City leading by 2 points atm and here are the remaining fixtures for both sides.

Man Utd

Tottenham (a)

West Brom (h)

Wolves (a)

Fulham (h)

Blackburn (a)

QPR (h)

Wigan (a)

Aston Villa (h)

Everton (h)

Man City (a)

Swansea (h)

Sunderland (a)

Man City

Bolton (h)

Swansea (a)

Chelsea (h)

Stoke (a)

Sunderland (h)

Arsenal (a)

West Brom (h)

Norwich (a)

Wolves (a)

Man Utd (h)

Newcastle (a)

QPR (h)

I think Utd have the easier run in overall. City have looked quite likely to drop points away from home this season so you would expect that Swansea, Stoke, Arsenal, Norwich, Wolves, Newcastle away could all be potential banana skins for them, and then they have Chelsea and Utd at home to boot.

The only Utd games that they would be particularly worried about are Tottenham, City and Sunderland away. Utd wouldn't be too fearful of Wolves, Wigan and Blackburn away as their record on the road has been very impressive this season. Saying that, I don't think you could call any away game in the PL as a 'banker'. They should be winning all of our home games as they're all against mid to lower table sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Mr Alan wrote: »
    It would be very interesting to see if the spending Utd carried out in pursuit of their first league title under Ferguson would be allowable under FFP, I reckon it'd be anything but.

I wonder if this theory is supported by evidence or begrudgery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Manchester Utd - I follow another team
    Flip a coin! Too close to call imo, the game between the two sides is going to be epic if the gap is as small as it is now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

United have never had a sugar daddy, never had a rich owner pumping millions/billions into the club.

All you ever have to do is look at how much wages are % of turnover and other financial aspects even now to see that as a business the club is one of, if not the best run in the world.

The club never overstretched itself in terms of the finances.

I wonder do the Liverpool fans who remember the glory years think about them as the years that they bought all the trophies on offer?

Im in danger of going off on one here and I may not get my point across very well if i do.

Simply said. United have used revenue generated to build the club, not had someone come along with a blank cheque.

There is a huge difference between United and the likes of City/Madrid/PSG and to an extent Barcelona

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Genuinely think this is going to come down to the tie between them. I think we'll gain on City, our run-in is easier. However, I don't think we'll get 4 points on them. As such, I think it'll come down to the game between the two.

Personally, I think the key person to this title challenge is Michael Carrick. If he can perform as he has been doing, the title will be ours.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

It's going to be really close looking at those fixtures. United's look easier, but they have to go to City so that's a pretty big advantage in City's favour.

Looking at United's fixtures, the next game against Spurs looks massive. After that they have about 7 matches that I can't really see them not winning. So beat Spurs and they could be looking at a big run that could swing the momentum their way. If they get a few points ahead maybe City will crumble.

City are 2 points ahead and have United at home so I would say it's theirs to lose. But I think United are really going to crank up the pressure in the coming weeks looking at that fixture list. Will City be able to deal with it?

If I had to call it I suppose I'd go with City. But I'm not sure if I agree with bookies prices -

Best price on City is 4/7 and United 13/8.

Would be good if it was still all in the balance when the match in the Etihad comes around, could be epic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Sometimes the harder run in helps because you go into every game focused like it is a cup final. *Easier* games can be just a perception and you can get caught out cold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

I think the poll is fairly accurate right now actually. 52% in favour of City, and 48% for United

As a Liverpool fan I'm actually supporting United to win the title, but unfortunately I think it'll be City's at the end of the season

I think United actually need to win every game from here until the end of the season tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

City's squad means they can cope so much better with injuries/suspensions. I'd be very surprised if they're not top come May.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

kryogen wrote: »
    United have never had a sugar daddy, never had a rich owner pumping millions/billions into the club.

All you ever have to do is look at how much wages are % of turnover and other financial aspects even now to see that as a business the club is one of, if not the best run in the world.

The club never overstretched itself in terms of the finances.

I wonder do the Liverpool fans who remember the glory years think about them as the years that they bought all the trophies on offer?

Im in danger of going off on one here and I may not get my point across very well if i do.

Simply said. United have used revenue generated to build the club, not had someone come along with a blank cheque.

There is a huge difference between United and the likes of City/Madrid/PSG and to an extent Barcelona

So many things wrong with this its untrue!

I thank god for the sugar daddies who have made the premiership so much more interesting.
    You also make it sound like Utd have never spent any money - yet they broke the transfer record quite a few times
    They have never got close to the swash buckling domination of europe that Liverpool achieved
    They also have benefited from much bigger gate and marketing revenues so its hardly been like a level playing field

I really admire Utd, and theres no doubt they are the modern english template but to say they have done what Arsenal have done is laughable and to even suggest they have never splashed the cash whilst other clubs have looked helplessly on is even more so

• Registered Users Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Luap

Heart says United, head says City. You know where I'm coming from.

So many things wrong with this its untrue!

I thank god for the sugar daddies who have made the premiership so much more interesting.

Incredibly selfish outlook

You also make it sound like Utd have never spent any money - yet they broke the transfer record quite a few times

Where did the money come from to do this? certainly not from a sugar daddy, revenue generated by the club, as I have already said.
    They have never got close to the swash buckling domination of europe that Liverpool achieved

Never said they did, not going to get into the different era stuff. doesnt matter.
    They also have benefited from much bigger gate and marketing revenues so its hardly been like a level playing field

So its Uniteds fault that they invested money in the stadium/marketing have a rich history? The club generated its own revenue streams and used them. Nothing unfair about it. Funnily enough you think the sugar daddys are fair? Or maybe your just interested in level playing fields when it suits you....
    I really admire Utd, and theres no doubt they are the modern english template but to say they have done what Arsenal have done is laughable and to even suggest they have never splashed the cash whilst other clubs have looked helplessly on is even more so

Again, your missing the point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

kryogen wrote: »

Again, your missing the point.

Not really, all you are essentially saying is that we should all bow and worship at the high altar of man utd.
    Well I'm sorry theres quite a few of us out who disagree and just because you cant seem to stand any competition unless it follows your own teams holier than thou template
    If you bothered to remember, Utd already met and saw off the sugar daddy teams at least once or twice.
    You see, your own team manager decided to meet the challenge head on instead of moaning about how unfair it all was.
    I suggest you do the same ;)

Advertisement