Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Viruses on windows 8?

Options
  • 20-09-2014 11:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭

Hello, just need some advice on this.

When I used to have Windows 7, I honestly cannot remember what I did (this was when I was pretty naïve with how advanced the internet has gotten) but I remember I used to keep getting so many viruses and malware, even though I avoided anything that look dodgy or any link that looked odd for ages.

Now I have reinstalled my computer to Windows 8 and I am just curious to know if this means that no more viruses will download onto my laptop since it is reinstalled altogether, like starting from afresh?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

The os you use wont stop it. Its a lot about user behaviour. Dont install anything you dont download from their own sites. Keep up to date with anti virus.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

You're a lot less likely to get malware/viruses on a Linux machine, so if you're concerned about getting viruses again, maybe you should consider Ubuntu.

Regular full scans, updated antiviruses and scans frequently with another antivirus is a good idea. Using Ad Blocker, Malwarebytes and an active antivirus like Mcafee/ESET will help.

In terms of protecting against spyware/adware, W8 will be the same. Windows 8 is most definitely more secure than Windows 7. The OS is more secure but in terms of protection, that won't really change really.

Of course, common sense goes a long way. E.g. never click a link in an email, never open an email from "PayPal" or a "bank". You can google for other tips and look up phishing in particular, which is where you might be getting the viruses.

If you are uneasy about it and only need a web browser and basic functionality (e.g. Word processing), seriously look at Linux. Getting viruses on linux is not likely, but not impossible. It has a lot to do with the end users. No antivirus can protect against users who are not careful.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Windows 8 comes with some antivirus built in by default. With windows 7 you had to manually install it. This makes windows 8 a bit safer by default I guess.

As said above tho, no antivirus will protect a user from themselves.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,010 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Windows 8 also has Smartscreen, which provides additional levels of protection, however basic it is a useful feature. Whatever OS you use make sure to install all updates when they are available, keep browser plugins like Flash, Java etc. up to date and use anti virus software to keep protected. In fact if you don't need Java I'd recommend uninstalling it as it has been one of the main source for malware infections across Windows and OSX recently

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Sadly Revenue insists you use Java to access online services and on OS X you even have to override the sandboxing system to allow it access to folders on the HD.

I don't know why they can't just work like online banking instead of all these complicated Java certs.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,010 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

SpaceTime wrote: »
    Sadly Revenue insists you use Java to access online services and on OS X you even have to override the sandboxing system to allow it access to folders on the HD.

I don't know why they can't just work like online banking instead of all these complicated Java certs.

Ahh year good old ROS. My Dad uses it and I have only enabled the Java plugin in IE for him. He only uses IE for ROS and uses Firefox for everything else. You can easily disable the Java plugin in Chrome/Firefox etc. so it's a partial solution to the issue to disable it in your main browser.
    Firefox also supports "click to activate" for plugins, although this can be a pain at times.
    Why in this day and age Java applets or Active X controls are required for authentication I do not know :rolleyes:

Nick

SpaceTime wrote: »

Because digital signatures are required by law to verify your identity. Ireland was one of the first countries in the world to enact legislation for this, was a big deal at the time :p

It's required for official stuff when dealing with public services, but not for private sector banking.

The ROS system works very well, migrating it away from java would require a big rewrite. It could be worse, Bank of Ireland business online requires java too - AND internet explorer only!!

On Safari the browser locks the Java settings back down again once the page is closed. So it's at least only very, very restricted access.

Digital signatures should be possible with two factor identification like a fob similar or authorisation device used by AIB Business Banking or Personal Banking.

Bank of Ireland's online banking still requires letters to be posted to authorise new payees until you activate SMS authentication.
    So, I really wouldn't take them as state of the art :)

Digital signatures have a precise definition codified in Irish law: http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2000/en/act/pub/0027/index.html

Simple 2 factor authentication does not meet the definition.

srsly78 wrote: »
    Digital signatures have a precise definition codified in Irish law: http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2000/en/act/pub/0027/index.html

Placing technology specs into legislation isn't a good idea.

That act is 14 years old.

• Advertisement

Yes and what is the problem? Are you confusing digital signatures with the crypto behind them?

Advertisement