Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Garmin - FR225 with optical heartrate

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

DC Rainmaker has a brief preview of the new FR235 here: http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2015/10/garmin-fr230-fr235-fr630.html

It has a few more features than the FR225, and uses Garmin's own optical HRM instead of Mio's. I'll be waiting on the full review before making a decision, but at first glance I think i'll be going for the 235.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,380 ✭✭✭fletch

225 is down to €249 on The Run Hub...very tempted by this but now not sure whether to hold out for the 235...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Finglas Flier

fletch wrote: »
    225 is down to €249 on ...very tempted by this but now not sure whether to hold out for the 235...

Now even I'm getting tempted....
    Stop it!!!!!!!! :-)

Now even I'm getting tempted....
    Stop it!!!!!!!! :-)
    Ha I have an old Garmin 410...I don't even need this...I could just buy a HR strap and I'd probably be happy but then look how colourful the new screens are :)

You don't need it.......But you know you want it....LOL...
    And the colorful screen will make you run much faster...LOL...

• Advertisement

You don't need it.......But you know you want it....LOL...
    And the colourful screen will make us run much faster...LOL...
    Ah here that's me sold...where's that buy button

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

The 235 will have Garmin's own proprietorial optical hr monitor, and they're brand-new to that field. Could be worth waiting until they sort out any teething problems...

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Amigaman

sports direct have the 225 for €192
    http://ie.sportsdirect.com/garmin-forerunner-225-943565?colcode=94356544
    if I wasn't still happy with my motoactv I'd be all over this ....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Amigaman wrote: »
    sports direct have the 225 for €192
    http://ie.sportsdirect.com/garmin-forerunner-225-943565?colcode=94356544
    if I wasn't still happy with my motoactv I'd be all over this ....

Yoink.

Sorry, Nike+ App :)

I think if I hold out for another few months....I might get it for less then €50....or may be even free...LOL...

• Advertisement

Done!!
    Bought from Kevin @ The Run Hub..... :-)
    Possibly cheaper online but for after sales service...you cant beat dealing with a real person that you can talk to about issues.
    And with any new gizmo...there is always room for issues... LOL...

Now to sell my 210...:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭jaggiebunnet

just gauging peoples thoughts, i was all set to get the 225 and with the fall in price (192!) I think I am mad not to - but with the looming 235 is there any must have feature that anyone would wait for. The only thing I can see that would interest me is the larger screen with more info and i would be hesitant over the new sensor for HR.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭aoboa

I think I'd be skipping the Garmin heart rate sensor on the 235 in favour of the Mio on the 225 for a while.
    At least til it's proved itself.
    If you don't need the watch right away it might be best to wait 6 months of so after the 235 has been out and about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

I am considering purchasing the FS235. Keen to get an update on how people are finding it - is the heart rate monitor accurate and reliable? Hard to know what to make of the reviews on Amazon - some really poor ones related to HRM and the clock time!

The Fs610 is in the mix as well. I have looked at the review on dcrainmaker and it goes back to 2011. Which is dated.

Really looking for some opinions on both watches as I am a keen runner. I have a fr405 which I find alright. Its clunky with some scratches. Its 5 years old and battle hardened!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

finisklin wrote: »
    I am considering purchasing the FS235. Keen to get an update on how people are finding it - is the heart rate monitor accurate and reliable? Hard to know what to make of the reviews on Amazon - some really poor ones related to HRM and the clock time!

The Fs610 is in the mix as well. I have looked at the review on dcrainmaker and it goes back to 2011. Which is dated.

Really looking for some opinions on both watches as I am a keen runner. I have a fr405 which I find alright. Its clunky with some scratches. Its 5 years old and battle hardened!

I have the 235 and don't like it all. No matter where I place it on my arm, I can't get an accurate reading even with all the firmware and sensor updates. I ran a 10k at the weekend where I averaged 145bpm by it but done a 10 mile easy run on Sunday almost 2 and half minutes a mile slower and got pretty much the identical HR average. I've also had problems where I can't pair the watch to a strap so I've essentially got nothing to accurately measure my HR. I'm really scrawny though which I've heard the watch has problems with as regards HR. It's expensive enough and I wouldn't buy it again for the reasons above considering my old 210 could do everything the 235 could reliably without the small extra features. Although I found Glonass pretty good, it's not enough to cover up the flaws with the HR and poor display. Not a fan.

Have to say, I'm not as impressed with the 235 as I thought I would be. I've done 5k PBs where my heart rate barely went over Zone 3 and then easy runs where I've apparently been in Zone 5 for most of it. I got the watch for the HRM so am slightly disappointed. It also dropped a feature I used a lot on my ancient old 410, Virtual Partner. It was really handy in races as it would tell me how far ahead or behind I was of my target pace. Granted, the 235 has a feature called Finish Time, but it has to be configured before each run, Virtual Partner could be left on all the time.
    In saying all that, I do like the 235, I like being able to configure the different data screens and while I didn't buy the watch for the smart features, I've grown to like having texts/chats popup on the watch face.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sacksian

Is there any watch that can do HR reliably without a strap?

Is the technology out there actually accurate enough to do hr training without the strap?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭opus

Sacksian wrote: »

Is the technology out there actually accurate enough to do hr training without the strap?

I picked up an Epson SF-810 watch in Feb as it was on sale for £126 jut to see what they were like. Noticed it tended to drop my HR while the weather was cold but seems ok now the temp is above 12C. That might be just me though as I tend to suffer a lot with cold hands.

Main reason I went for it was the long battery life & reasonable GPS accuracy.
    The Epson SF-810 is a bit of an interesting duck in the GPS running watch landscape. It’s got unique features that very few other watches have – such as optical heart rate monitoring that’s actually largely accurate. It also has solid GPS accuracy and good battery life. Similarly, it has good customize options for the data pages and fields – albeit only with the mobile phone app.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭aoboa

Sacksian wrote: »

The FR225 seems to be pretty reliable from what I can see.
    Then again, I never used a chest strap before so I can't 100% vouch for it.
    All I can say is that I get consistent readings almost always with the very occasional glitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

El Caballo wrote: »
    I have the 235 and don't like it all. No matter where I place it on my arm, I can't get an accurate reading even with all the firmware and sensor updates. I ran a 10k at the weekend where I averaged 145bpm by it but done a 10 mile easy run on Sunday almost 2 and half minutes a mile slower and got pretty much the identical HR average. I've also had problems where I can't pair the watch to a strap so I've essentially got nothing to accurately measure my HR. I'm really scrawny though which I've heard the watch has problems with as regards HR. It's expensive enough and I wouldn't buy it again for the reasons above considering my old 210 could do everything the 235 could reliably without the small extra features. Although I found Glonass pretty good, it's not enough to cover up the flaws with the HR and poor display. Not a fan.

I need a new watch. I was looking at the fr235 but if the HR is not decent then I'll pass. Can you say more about the problems paring ? What straps - bluetooth or ant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Very mixed reports on the FR235.

The FR225 was with a 3rd party led sensor which was proven in the marketplace. Garmin didn't have their own sensor ready in time to pip the trend and get 1st to the shelves so went with the 225 to bridge the development gap.

I always felt the 225 was more accurate but with the 235 launch, 225 is being filtered out of circulation.

Polar are working on their own led sensor and have it proving itself in the A360 at the moment with a version with GPS rumoured to be in late stage development. They will not launch until 100% happy with the sensor accuracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Happy with my FR235 here been using it since xmas. However I was not recording HR before so can't comment on the accuracy compared to a previous chest strap. The odd time I have noticed just go off the scale e.g. 190bpm when I'm easy running. Could have not had it on tight enough or whatever. Usually corrected within a few mins. I was upgrading from an FR410 so it was a large upgrade from my perspective. Previously I was just wearing the 410 for activity. I wear the 235 almost 24/7 bar charging. Also a big upgrade with regards to the bluetooth connectivity to garmin connect on my phone. However I train more by pace than HR. I just like the additional info.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

I love my fr225 and it seems pretty accurate most of the time. I've had the odd spike but less than with the chest strap. From what I've read the sensor is much better than the fr235 as it's not made by garmin!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

pgmcpq wrote: »
    I need a new watch. I was looking at the fr235 but if the HR is not decent then I'll pass. Can you say more about the problems paring ? What straps - bluetooth or ant.

An ant strap but it won't pair with the 235 for me. Supposed to hold it up to the watch to get it to recognise but it just doesn't even pick up that the strap is there. Checked it out and I know my strap is compatible and is working as it was with my 210 but just get nothing on the 235.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

Heart monitoring seems to be erratic on the 235. Virtual partner is useful as have that on my current garmin.

Anybody have a 620? I currently run on pace and this may be a better fit for my requirements, plus slightly cheaper on amazon than the 235.

Advertisement