Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to write these as Gaeilge

Options
  • 20-07-2015 7:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭

I want to put these two names on signs an just make sure I have the correct spelling etc as Gaeilge.

Ms Brennan

Mr. Kelly

No panic on them, just when ever anyone gets a chance, I tried google translate but couldn't getting direct translation

Thanks so much

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Thread moved from Teach na nGealt. Should fit in much better here.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Oldstyle1

Thank you, would appreciate if anyone could get back to me on it.

Thanks again

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

For future reference, this is a decent on-line resource for Irish names: http://www.ainm.ie/

Mr Kelly: An tUasal Ó Ceallaigh

Ms Brennan: Bean Ní Bhraonáin

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭An gal gréine

Iníon Uí Bhraonáin....Miss Brennan.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Oldstyle1

Thanks an file and an gal gréine

Are both ok to use

Thanks for the reference to ainm.ie site an file

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭An Riabhach

I would've thought it was Iníon Ní Bhraonáin,because we were taught that would only be used for a married woman,e.g.
    Máire Bean Uí Bhraonáin.

Just a little advice OP.....never use Google Translate-it is a calamity!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

An File wrote: »
    Mr Kelly: An tUasal Ó Ceallaigh

Ms Brennan: Bean Ní Bhraonáin
    Iníon Uí Bhraonáin....Miss Brennan.

The purpose of the Ms. appendage in English is to conceal marital status, yet both of the foregoing posts disclose it. My only experience of the use of a Ms. equivalent in Irish was an encounter with a lady, whose name, let's say, would be anglicised as Mary O'Neill. She called herself Mãire Néill. No Uí, no Ní. So, I would suggest Māire Braonāin. Irish has less formality than most European languages. If she objects to disclosing her first name leave it at Braonāin. If she regards her marital status as irrelevant, she probably sees her gender as being equally irrelevant.

I would've thought it was Iníon Ní Bhraonáin,because we were taught that would only be used for a married woman,e.g.
    Máire Bean Uí Bhraonáin.

Just a little advice OP.....never use Google Translate-it is a calamity!!

Mrs. Mary Brennan....Máire (Bean) Uí Bhraonáin.
    Mary Brennan..........Máire Ní Bhraonáin.
    Miss Mary Brennan....Máire Iníon Uí Bhraonáin.

The latter means literally Mary, the daughter of Mr. Brennan and that's why
    Uí Bhraonáin is used here.

Mrs. Mary Brennan....Máire (Bean) Uí Bhraonáin.[B
    Mary Brennan..........Máire Ní Bhraonáin.
    Miss Mary Brennan....Máire Iníon Uí Bhraonáin.

The latter means literally Mary, the daughter of Mr. Brennan and that's why
    Uí Bhraonáin is used here.

Ms. !!!???

I've never seen an Irish language equivalent of that convention.

Perhaps the nice people on Gaeilge Amháin on Facebook would be able to help.

• Advertisement

An File wrote: »
    I've never seen an Irish language equivalent of that convention.

Perhaps the nice people on Gaeilge Amháin on Facebook would be able to help.

Well at post no. 8 I've recounted my only experience of it. OP has asked for a translation of Ms..

• Registered Users Posts: 5 sailnathona

an gal gréine is correct.

feargale wrote: »
    The purpose of the Ms. appendage in English is to conceal marital status, yet both of the foregoing posts disclose it. My only experience of the use of a Ms. equivalent in Irish was an encounter with a lady, whose name, let's say, would be anglicised as Mary O'Neill. She called herself Mãire Néill. No Uí, no Ní. So, I would suggest Māire Braonāin. Irish has less formality than most European languages. If she objects to disclosing her first name leave it at Braonāin. If she regards her marital status as irrelevant, she probably sees her gender as being equally irrelevant.

Sorry feargale, I didn't address that Ms.
    I've not seen a Gaelic equivalent and what you suggest seems like one answer to it. The late writer, Nuala Ó Faoláin's reason for her not altering the male Ó Faoláin, but having a clear feminine first name may have been her answer to the English language Ms.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,712 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Yes, I've seen a lot of women who have Irish names just leave it Ó _________.

Advertisement