Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can a shop set a fixed limit on credit/laser cards?

• 25-10-2010 11:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

Just out of interest can a shop/pub etc. legally have a fixed limit on the the amount of money a person must be spending in order to use their credit/debit card. I completely understand the reasoning behind this as it saves time.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Yes they can

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 drunknmunky_21

thank you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭source

It's not because it saves time, it's because the shop is charged an administration fee by the bank they have the machine through for each transaction, and it's not worth their while to put a transaction through if it's below a certain amount.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

I have heard that in the US, Visa and Mastercard have told shopowners that they cannot enforce a "minimum purchase" rule as it goes against the POS Terms & Conditions.

I'd imagine a similar rule exists here but is not enforced.

It's a pain in the arse and I hate it when shops say 5quid minimum because I almost never carry cash anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

OisinT wrote: »
    I have heard that in the US, Visa and Mastercard have told shopowners that they cannot enforce a "minimum purchase" rule as it goes against the POS Terms & Conditions.

It's a pain in the arse and I hate it when shops say 5quid minimum because I almost never carry cash anymore.

It may be here in our terms and conditions already, I am unsure, but it is pretty much unenforcable.

As I posted elsewhere last week, someone presented a laser card to pay for a €3 quickpick but as it would have put me into a loss, I refused it.

I wont pay 20 odd cent to earn 18 cent !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

It may be here in out terms and conditions already, I am unsure, but it is pretty much unenforcable.

As I posted elsewhere last week, someone presented a laser card to pay for a €3 quickpick but as it would have put me into a loss, I refused it.

I wont pay 20 odd cent to earn 18 cent !!!
    I disagree about it being unenforceable - I believe that in the US customers complained about the charges to the VISA or MasterCard offices and the services were revoked.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

I think the issue above refers to shops charging the customer a premium for handling the credit transaction. It is a different matter if the shop refuse to make the transaction at all. I have difficulty with the notion that a shop is obliged to carry out a transaction at a loss. Shops which carry out a large number of small transactions would be forced to stop taking cards at all even for larger transactions.
    I think it is perfectly reasonable for shops to have a minimum spend. The charges from the companies and the time taken to process the transaction are disproportionate to the value of the sale. Carrying around a small amount of cash should be no hardship for most people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Are you seriously expecting a shop to accept a card for a small purchase like a drink and bag of crisps?

A shop is a business that sells things for a profit.

Profit pays the bills and wages.

What you are saying is purely unreasonable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

I disagree about it being unenforceable - I believe that in the US customers complained about the charges to the VISA or MasterCard offices and the services were revoked.

Not exactly correct,

The card schemes (Visa, Mastercard etc.) have rules about charging an extra fee for cc transactions, but offering a "discount" for cash is permitted at present.

There are no rules at present against a minimum transaction value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

credit card is fine (its a %)
    laser is a fixed charge (15c) different for different peeps

so if a shop hakes only 5% then you need to spend a tenner or feck off

i haz a sine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭32minutes

Are you seriously expecting a shop to accept a card for a small purchase like a drink and bag of crisps?

A shop is a business that sells things for a profit.

Profit pays the bills and wages.

What you are saying is purely unreasonable.

Depends on the Business, generally the more a company deals with cash/coin the more they stand to gain from taking laser cards as the charges for business deposits in banks can sometimes be exorbidant making laser trans much cheaper.

The other thing is most business' dont realise that they have tons of options for accepting card payments they are NOT necessarily bound to stick with the terminal and therefore the charges their primary bank provides.

Its also safer and can reduce insurance premiums. Not that it's all rosy in the garden for electronic payments but there's generally too much cash/cheques in our system

Advertisement