Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

house renovation

• 22-11-2014 5:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    me again with some questions as I am looking to find a house to buy.

I've seen a house in a location that I would really love.
    The size of the house is perfect for me.

The problem is that it is a house built from corporation in the 60s and in need of modernization.

I would move there on my own with two dogs, so I don't care to have anything fancy to start with.
    He was talking about moving the toilet upstairs, extend the kitchen, open a new door to the garden from the living room... etc.. but I won't have money to do that now.

What I am looking for is to have a minimum decent place to live in.
    So the problem are:

- the windows are single glaze aluminium
    - there is no gas, coal heating, I could think of putting gas or start with electric heating and then change?
    - of course it has not been rewired. The sale agent said that it was fine ..but my problem is to be safe
    - the floor are very old not nice linoleum, I could live with that for a while, but don't know how long
    - the toilet is very old.. I would need at least to put electric shower.

Any suggestion?
    I don't have any contact with any builder or anything.
    The price of the house would leave me not too much for the works..
    Is it worth it?
    Considering that only in the long term I would have a nice place?

Any rough ideas of the prices and other things essential that I would need to look to change?

I know it's very generic question, but not sure where to start.
    Btw the house is a 3 bedroom semi-deatached, about 75square meters

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 234 ✭✭Superdaddy

You really need to hire an engineer for this. Don't risk your money on a property that is just in the right area. God knows what other issues could arise that you won't have money to pay for, you could end up living in misery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭jsabina

ugh..
    is a surveyor an engineer?
    or is something different?

should I try to make an offer and if they accept then I go with the engineer and sign everything?
    Because if they don't want what I am available to offer I don't think it's worth to do everything...

thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 234 ✭✭Superdaddy

jsabina wrote: »
    ugh..
    is a surveyor an engineer?
    or is something different?

should I try to make an offer and if they accept then I go with the engineer and sign everything?
    Because if they don't want what I am available to offer I don't think it's worth to do everything...

thanks!
    Surveyor of what though, quantity surveyor? I'd use an engineer or an architect. Yes make an offer and see how much they will sell for and what remains of your budget for renovation. Offer is made subject to engineer inspection.

thanks superdaddy..
    sorry if I cannot explain properly, but I am really new at this (in Ireland).

I know there will be the surveyor for the bank and I heard of other kind of surveyor.
    Anyway I will try to see if they would accept my offer and in case they are interested see how to find an engineer!

thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭willbur

Hi, most council/corp houses are sound from a build pov , except no bathroom upstairs, allso no insulation on the walls, or indeed the attic,
    you have to decide is is the house value for the money that you are prepared to for it, and if it took you say 5 years to but your own stamp on it when you are in a better financial position , this is a list of what you can expect to pay to have the following work done ,

NO 1 Electrical rewire, Estimate cost, 2,800
    NO 2 Full heating system using Gas combi 24kw boiler and controles to sei ========= ========== " " 4,900
    No 3 All New plumbing and new bathroom to include , bath with triton shower, sink/vanity, toilet, ===== " " 2,300
    no 4 All of the inside of the external walls fully insulated and plastered ===================== " " 3,300
    that is the house is a teraced with just 2 outside walls,
    No 5 A new fitted kitchen with easy clean handle less doors 12 unit and with a tall larder and fridge unit== " " 4,800
    No 6 New door and frames in engineered teak fitted ====================approx per unit == " " 300
    No 7 Painting / decorating ==================================== " per room== " " 200

• Advertisement

Thanks,
    I heard that the council houses in the area should be fine.
    I could live with the toilet downstairs once I add a triton shower I believe?
    Maybe the insulation though would be something I would need to look into..
    Just sent my offer, let's see how is going!
    Thanks a lot for the information!

Advertisement