Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arch tech sign off for mortgage

• 22-11-2014 8:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭

On aib's costing template for a self build , there is a list of people who can fill the form and issue Certs etc . Members of CIAT is one of them

I thought with the new regulations that it had to be an architect / engineer that could fill this up.BOI insist on this but the AIB form seems to accept s lot more

I am applying for a mortgage with aib at the moment for an unfinished house and am using an arch tech for this - house is built for several years and just needs mostly internal finishing so I don't believe the 2014 changes are relevant anyway but I'm just wondering

Any opinions ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

AC's are not needed for ALL developments and people may need mortgage drawdowns for those works, for instance any agricultural development works, extensions under 40 sq m, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

AC's are not needed for ALL developments and people may need mortgage drawdowns for those works, for instance any agricultural development works, extensions under 40 sq m, etc.

Yeah but that's not written anywhere by aib. The self build form has 7 bodies they can be a part of and that's for a full house build

Have you rang the bank to find out?

Have you rang the bank to find out?

No. Was in local branch and she gave me the form. She said as long as the person is a member of one of the listed bodies then it's fine . CIAT is one of those listed

I just don't see how this can be if it's illegal

mickman wrote: »
    No. Was in local branch and she gave me the form. She said as long as the person is a member of one of the listed bodies then it's fine . CIAT is one of those listed

How is it illegal?

AC's are needed to sign off the building works in compliance with Building Regulations, for title purposes.

Signing off for bank purposes is different.

• Advertisement

How is it illegal?

AC's are needed to sign off the building works in compliance with Building Regulations, for title purposes.

How is it illegal?

But banks want houses built to regulations so how come they will accept arch tech to sign off. It states on the form that 'I cerify to building regulations etc '

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭Glebee

Its probally an old form.

Glebee wrote: »
    Its probally an old form.

It's not. The branch handed it out to me

Unless of course aib treat work to an unfinished house differently as it's not a new build and CIAT is acceptable for this

Hard to believe they don't lump all applications with any building involved into 'self builds'

• Advertisement

It's not. The branch handed it out to me

Any chance the branch still have the old form though..

Glebee wrote: »
    Any chance the branch still have the old form though..

Well anything is possible but that would be very unprofessional

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Yeah but that's not written anywhere by aib. The self build form has 7 bodies they can be a part of and that's for a full house build

Aib's requirements DO NOT trump the Building Control Amendment Regulations requirements. So if the development requires an AC for Building Control, then you will need an AC irrespective of what AIB's forms say.

Ninja Edit : it looks like you are finishing a home rather than building a home. Do you have to lodge a commencement notice? That will decide on the requirements of Assigned Certifier or Joe Bloggs supervision.

Well anything is possible but that would be very unprofessional

My moneys on the old form being issued to yourself.

kceire wrote: »
    Aib's requirements DO NOT trump the Building Control Amendment Regulations requirements. So if the development requires an AC for Building Control, then you will need an AC irrespective of what AIB's forms say.

Ninja Edit : it looks like you are finishing a home rather than building a home. Do you have to lodge a commencement notice? That will decide on the requirements of Assigned Certifier or Joe Bloggs supervision.

No commencement notice needed. Does that mean arch tech is ok ?

Even with this BOI still demand an engineer / architect

No commencement notice needed. Does that mean arch tech is ok ?

Even with this BOI still demand an engineer / architect

Ok that clears this up then.
    No commencement notice needed, so you don't need an assigned Certifier as per the new building control regulations per say. But the finishes still need to comply with current building regulations in as far as possible, that's what I would do.

What AIB want is a professional overseeing the project and issues stage payment certificates, architect, engineer or surveyor is grand here, I hink they must have relevant PI insurances etc and basically be legit, but not necessarily chartered as per BCAR rules.

Ok that clears this up then.
    No commencement notice needed, so you don't need an assigned Certifier as per the new building control regulations per say. But the finishes still need to comply with current building regulations in as far as possible, that's what I would do.

What AIB want is a professional overseeing the project and issues stage payment certificates, architect, engineer or surveyor is grand here, I hink they must have relevant PI insurances etc and basically be legit, but not necessiarily chartered as per BCAR rules.

Yes but an arch tech is not a surveyor are they ?

The arch tech does have PI etc

Bit odd of BOI to be so intent on demanding an assigned certifier, maybe aib are more informed and flexible when it comes to self build

Yes but an arch tech is not a surveyor are they ?

The arch tech does have PI etc

Bit odd of BOI to be so intent on demanding an assigned certifier, maybe aib are more informed and flexible when it comes to self build

Nothing to do with self build or not. If you were starting this project from scratch and lodging a commencement notice, you would have no choice but use an assigned certifier no matter what bank you are mortgaged with.

This is common practice, had been going on since before the boom. Some banks were always more stricter that others for stage payment certificates, which is all your arch tech is doing really.

Nothing to do with self build or not. If you were starting this project from scratch and lodging a commencement notice, you would have no choice but use an assigned certifier no matter what bank you are mortgaged with.

This is common practice, had been going on since before the boom. Some banks were always more stricter that others for stage payment certificates, which is all your arch tech is doing really.

Ok thanks for the info

In a nutshell ,what are the big differences in the 2014 regulations ?

Ok thanks for the info

Even the nutshell version won't fit in one post. Have a look at this sub forum. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1626

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 234 ✭✭Superdaddy

Ok thanks for the info

In a nutshell the new regs will cost you a lot more money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭dathi

Ok thanks for the info

it will be your nutshell in a vice when it comes to costs and the architect,s when it comes to mistakes

So is building become very prohibitive? Is this the govts way of moving w ethics into estates to make it easier to provide services ?

So is building become very prohibitive? Is this the govts way of moving w ethics into estates to make it easier to provide services ?

There's a few ways of looking at it. It's mostly the government taking no responsibility for building regulation.
    I think what is emerging here for you is that you have found one of the last ways to do a self build under old regs. I am building on old regs at the moment, I have an arch tech and engineer, I am mortgaged with AIB. I wasn't aware that a arch tech could sign off but even if they could I'd still have my engineer.

Superdaddy wrote: »
    There's a few ways of looking at it. It's mostly the government taking no responsibility for building regulation.
    I think what is emerging here for you is that you have found one of the last ways to do a self build under old regs. I am building on old regs at the moment, I have an arch tech and engineer, I am mortgaged with AIB. I wasn't aware that a arch tech could sign off but even if they could I'd still have my engineer.

Yeah but you are doing a full build ? If I was doing a build then I would have engineer / architect also . What I am doing is finishing a build that has been plastered / sealed and first fixed already so it's just finishing works I need

I actually did speak to an architect and he said there was no work there for an assigned certifier , you just need someone to sign the interim Certs

Yeah but you are doing a full build ? If I was doing a build then I would have engineer / architect also . What I am doing is finishing a build that has been plastered / sealed and first fixed already so it's just finishing works I need

I actually did speak to an architect and he said there was no work there for an assigned certifier , you just need someone to sign the interim Certs

That's a different story alright.

And that's exactly what the bank are insisting, ensuring that their investment is ok to a certain extent. Best of luck with it. Will you be in for Christmas?

And that's exactly what the bank are insisting, ensuring that their investment is ok to a certain extent. Best of luck with it. Will you be in for Christmas?

Nope. Plenty pf legal issues to deal with . I reckon it's 50/50 to happen at all

Got approved anyway, barring a few simple conditions. Nothing to do with arch tech.

Thanks for any advice , thread may be closed

• Advertisement
Advertisement