Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Right to Light?

Options
  • 24-11-2014 1:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Our house has a kitchen window into the builders providers yard next door. We originally had 4 windows on his side but blocked up the others 20 odd years ago -the house was originally built in the 1700's.

The kitchen window is purely for light not a view. However the owner of the yard has put up some steel bars (actually a load of scrap metal bolted together) to "restrict access" to his premises and now he has started stacking blocks/pallets etc in front of the window.

I did speak to my solicitor and he said we had a right to light but I am not sure what exactly he means by that. Does anyone have some examples I could reference?

Thanks in advance
    YB

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Yawlboy wrote: »
    I did speak to my solicitor and he said we had a right to light but I am not sure what exactly he means by that. Does anyone have some examples I could reference?
    Thanks in advance
    YB

Isint that what you have paid your solicitor for?
    surely if theres a legal issue, your solicitor should be straight on the case.

Is there a boundary outside of the window? Is the window used for fire escape purposes?

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Yawlboy

kceire wrote: »
    Isint that what you have paid your solicitor for?
    surely if theres a legal issue, your solicitor should be straight on the case.

Is there a boundary outside of the window? Is the window used for fire escape purposes?

I spoke to my solicitor on the phone about it as he is at the high court today. There is no boundary as the window directly faces into the yard - I also have numerous windows on the first floor facing this yard and no it is not a fire escape.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Sounds like an odd setup. Are you sure there's no land at all between your house, and the yard?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

no right to light in Ireland

you might get them on fire hazards

• Registered Users Posts: 14,544 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

• Advertisement
Advertisement