Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Air Tightness and MHRV in Dormer House

Options
  • 23-11-2014 1:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭

Hi All - I am building a dormer style house and am looking for some guidance on the following:

In the sloping section of the roof I am installing 100mm Kooltherm between the rafters and 72.5mm insulated plaster slab. The question is - Do I need to install an air tightness layer or does the insulated slab perform that function? Do I need a service cavity in the sloping roof and is that inside the insulation?

How do I address air tightness in the section of ceiling that is not used as floor area at first floor?

Also, would any like to recommend a Heat Recovery Ventilation System? I would like a reasonable quality system that is easy to maintain. Also, will this system manage the moist air in bathrooms, kitchens etc?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Yes Boss

Also - can anyone recommend a wall tie for a 150mm cavity with partial fill insulation?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

You need an air-tightness membrane/vapour barrier

A Service cavity is a good idea. If you don't create the cavity inside the air-tightness layer, you need to provide for suitably sealed penetrations.

Air-tightness details are designed and considered before 1st floor/ceiling goes in.

MVHR will take moist air out of the wet areas

I'm sure you can google 'wall tie'?

May I ask
    1.what stage are you at?
    2. Have you appointed a design certifier?
    3. And are they preparing your air-tightness details?

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Yes Boss

BryanF wrote: »
    You need an air-tightness membrane/vapour barrier

A Service cavity is a good idea. If you don't create the cavity inside the air-tightness layer, you need to provide for suitably sealed penetrations.

Air-tightness details are designed and considered before 1st floor/ceiling goes in.

MVHR will take moist air out of the wet areas

I'm sure you can google 'wall tie'?

May I ask
    1.what stage are you at?
    2. Have you appointed a design certifier?
    3. And are they preparing your air-tightness details?

Bryan - Thanks for the response.

Do the air tightness/vapour layer go between the rafter and the insulated plaster slab?

Drawings are being prepared for tender.
    Yes - a Design Certifier has been appointed.

I would just like to know the best way of approaching air tightness in the dormer roof as I know it can be a difficult area.

Advertisement