Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

opinions on new windows

Options
  • 21-11-2014 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭

Looking for some opinions - I know very little about windows

I have been recommended double glazed vista therm windows with a u rating of 1.1 - I always thought that triple glazed would be the better option ?

I live in a standard 3 bed semi in Dublin so not out in the wilds or subject to severe weather bashing iykwim the house is 21 years old

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Any product recommendations or comments on a specific company should be by PM

Triple glazed windows typically have a better u-value than double.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭magicray

Thanks Bryan, would you get a lot better than 1.1 u value ?

Maybe 0.6w/m2k

What you need to appreciate is new build walls are generally less than .2w/m2k

Tell us though is this an existing house, because 1.1wm2k is a grand figure if it is.. IMHO A lower figure requires an emphasis on the window/wall junctions etc which is generally outside of the typical window installer.

Have you searched the forum? There's a million window threads best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭magicray

Yes its an existing house 21 years old, the original windows have had their day :o I did think about trying to replace seals etc but honestly think I would just be putting off the inevitable

• Advertisement
Advertisement