Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Electric Bikes - How easy to ride?

• 18-12-2014 6:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

I am moving to Dublin soon and am considering purchasing an electric bike (not very fit) to get around as it will provide some exercise and save on costs of public transport and waiting for buses etc.

Are they easy to ride for people who don't cycle regularly and if anyone has any experience of them, they might share.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

jimba wrote: »
    I am moving to Dublin soon and am considering purchasing an electric bike (not very fit) to get around as it will provide some exercise and save on costs of public transport and waiting for buses etc.

Are they easy to ride for people who don't cycle regularly and if anyone has any experience of them, they might share.

Where will you be living? Dublin is very easy to cycle. Where will you store the bike when in work?

I've used them before in Spain. Very easy to cycle after a small bit of getting used to, however if the battery dies you'll know all about that 5kg you're lugging around going up a hill.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭jimba

I'll be living in either Swords or Santry and working primarily at the Aerfort. So not much of a commute but be nice to get there relatively easy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

There's a lad in Donabate has one and goes by the airport

Either he's very tall or the bike is higher than usual

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Dublin Airport to Santry or Swords is a fairly short cycle and it's relatively flat in both directions.

You're likely only talking about a 14 to 20 minute cycle on a normal bicycle.

An electric bicycle might be overkill unless you are regularly making much longer trips. But if you want an electric bike regardless, they are very easy to cycle.

Beware that high-powered electric bicycles are viewed as mopeds and thus require a licence, registration and insurance. This is not a gray area as some like to make it out to be -- the main things are that the electric motor must gradually cut out after the person stop peddling or by the point of reaching 25km/h (the bike can go beyond that, it's just that the motor may no longer be helping).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

jimba wrote: »
    I'll be living in either Swords or Santry and working primarily at the Aerfort. So not much of a commute but be nice to get there relatively easy.

A Pedelec would be a waste of money for such a short distance, anything decent would cost you at least twice as much if not more for an equivalent standard bike...

• Advertisement
Advertisement