Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DART Driver Recruitment

Options
  • 16-12-2014 4:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

I believe I.E. are in the course of recruiting more DART drivers. There are rumours of plans to introduce a 10 minute service.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

haulier wrote: »
    I believe I.E. are in the course of recruiting more DART drivers. There are rumours of plans to introduce a 10 minute service.

Do you have a source? Or is purely speculation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

It's true, a driver at Connolly told me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

haulier wrote: »

What's that, a dart every 10min to each end?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

I just checked the date of this thread in case it was April :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,095 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

corktina wrote: »
    It's true, a driver at Connolly told me

Wrong. According to a certain Facebook page, it's Heuston drivers that usually spill the beans or not.:pac:

• Advertisement

I said he was AT Connolly.....he had just worked through the tunnel from Heuston ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,095 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

I said he was AT Connolly.....he had just worked through the tunnel from Heuston ;-)

Don't believe you!:D

feck....forgot to add "fact" to my post

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

This must be a dream op.

Sure I heard they are getting rid of darts.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,671 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

IE already have enough drivers to provide such a service if they wanted to....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    IE already have enough drivers to provide such a service if they wanted to....

Does that mean they've too much if they don't?

seems that way....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,800 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

feck....forgot to add "fact" to my post

It's only a 'fact' if you use caps. FACT.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

CEO is quoted as indicating a plan to increase DART frequency and that extra staff would be required.

Increasing to every 10 minutes off peak would require more drivers than current.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,800 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

CEO is quoted as indicating a plan to increase DART frequency and that extra staff would be required.

Increasing to every 10 minutes off peak would require more drivers than current.

If that was so, recruitment would be internal as per usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭rx8

Trainee Dart Driver vacancies have been advertised in all CIE depots for the last month. Closing date was last weekend. Nothing mentioned about the numbers required, but probably only a few, who will undoubtedly be related to current drivers that will be taken on.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,989 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

n97 mini wrote: »
    no

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

rx8 wrote: »
    Trainee Dart Driver vacancies have been advertised in all CIE depots for the last month. Closing date was last weekend. Nothing mentioned about the numbers required, but probably only a few, who will undoubtedly be related to current drivers that will be taken on.

I cant see why they advertised them when there are already fellas who got the jobs and still waiting to be released.

no

Only you could justify that.

Only you could justify that.

well better to have them then not. means no having to train up new drivers when business grows again after the hard times. and they will be there as standbys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,671 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

I would be very surprised if they need to take on any extra drivers to increase frequency. They hardly got rid of the ones surplus to requirements since DART freq was scaled back some years ago!

Anyway any increase in service will likely result in minimal capacity increase as you will likely see 2 car DART's every 10 minutes and then during peak 4 car DART's every 10 minutes!

However I would favor frequency over capacity so it would be a welcome development.

well better to have them then not.

Better to be over staffed than properly staffed? You would be virtually unique in this view. They do cost money you know, and have a negative knock on effect on the company's finances.

I would be very surprised if they need to take on any extra drivers to increase frequency. They hardly got rid of the ones surplus to requirements since DART freq was scaled back some years ago!

Anyway any increase in service will likely result in minimal capacity increase as you will likely see 2 car DART's every 10 minutes and then during peak 4 car DART's every 10 minutes!

However I would favor frequency over capacity so it would be a welcome development.

Ogle & ILDA went on strike over fast track training for DART drivers... did that training method make it into play? I presume it's also only DART and not Commuter stock?

Off peak on the Maynooth line is hourly and it really is annoying to see the DART getting 6 times the frequency without 6 times the patronage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Decuc500

Unfortunately for the Northside a Dart every 10 minutes would mean a Dart to Howth/Malahide every 20 minutes and 4 car Darts in rush hour to either destination every 20 minutes would mean very packed short Darts.

Then again most evening rush hour Northside darts are 4 carriages now so it probably won't make a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,556 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Decuc500 wrote: »
    Unfortunately for the Northside a Dart every 10 minutes would mean a Dart to Howth/Malahide every 20 minutes and 4 car Darts in rush hour to either destination every 20 minutes would mean very packed short Darts.

Then again most evening rush hour Northside darts are 4 carriages now so it probably won't make a difference.

Not necessarily - the timetable is built in such a way that currently the combined commuter and DART service delivers a minimum 15 minute frequency from stations north of Howth Junction and a similar frequency from Howth between 07:45 and 08:45, and similarly in reverse from the city between 17:30 and 18:30.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Decuc500

lxflyer wrote: »
    Not necessarily - the timetable is built in such a way that currently the combined commuter and DART service delivers a minimum 15 minute frequency from stations north of Howth Junction and a similar frequency from Howth between 07:45 and 08:45, and similarly in reverse from the city between 17:30 and 18:30.

There’s a Dart from Pearse to Howth on week days at 17:41 and the next Dart to Howth is at 18:04.
    That’s a 23 minute gap.
    The last time I got the 18:04 Dart (a few weeks ago) it was 4 carriages and people couldn’t board at Tara Street.

Better to be over staffed than properly staffed?

would you like potential service cancelations because of not enough drivers if they were only "properly staffed" which is something you haven't told us what it should be, or would you like a few extra which can be eventually used to re-grow services without having to spend money training them up from scratch? i know which one i'd rather.
    You would be virtually unique in this view.

i suspect i wouldn't. better to have a few extra that can be used to grow services again when things get back on track, then having not enough and having to train up new drivers from scratch when the time comes.
    They do cost money you know

and it will cost and take time to train up new ones. better to have a few of the old gard around who can step in once times get good.
    have a negative knock on effect on the company's finances.

so be it. its a cost worth baring for the benefits it will bring eventually.

Is that you David? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

A few times over the past few weeks, I've looked into this "so-called" introduction of a 10 minutely DART service on the official website and other sites and I haven't seen any mention of it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ClovenHoof

Frequency always wins over capacity - which is why The Lynch Mob had massive platforms extended which require millions in land purchases (at the height of the boom) and bought lots of new DARTs now rotting in yards.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement