Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin Bus - can anyone be happy with the price and service?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

€2.05 LEAP

Great value for a 15 min drive?

lxflyer wrote: »
    I'd imagine that the reason there is no nitelink tonight is that tomorrow is a normal working day. Demand wouldn't be that great as a result.

Yea it actually was. It's a day called St.Patrick's day you see. The national holiday of Ireland and a world famous celebration. Do you think demand today would be less than a Saturday. Also are you aware of the meaning of the phrase"public service". It's not a capitalistic venture.

no, i didn't. so no i won't . ah go on then, seeing as its paddies day. it was suggested if it was a private company running things there would be more then a sunday service. it was explained as the NTA makes the decisians in relation to services that it wouldn't be any different. now, theres your answer, take it or leave it, its all your getting

I'm suggesting another private service on top of Dublin bus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,917 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Yea it actually was. It's a day called St.Patrick's day you see. The national holiday of Ireland and a world famous celebration. Do you think demand today would be less than a Saturday. Also are you aware of the meaning of the phrase"public service". It's not a capitalistic venture.

I'm not disputing that fact, but tomorrow is a normal working day.

I don't think you're getting the point - there was a Nitelink last night, but the regulatory authorities have shown no appetite or providing Nitelinks on any bank holiday.

It's a rather subtle hint to go home earlier so people will be in work the next day.

I'm not disputing that fact, but tomorrow is a normal working day.

I don't think you're getting the point - there was a Nitelink last night, but the regulatory authorities have shown no appetite or providing Nitelinks on any bank holiday or day preceding a normal working day.

It's a rather subtle hint to go home earlier so people will be in work the next day.

A public service provides hints and not a service now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Great value for a 15 min drive?

You are right it is good value.

A 15min drive in a taxi could be €15 €20.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭howiya

KD345 wrote: »
    To give Dublin Bus some credit, their level of information on Twitter today has been excellent.

I disagree entirely with that based on my interaction with Dublin Bus on Twitter yesterday.

The person responding to me made up a lie about the bus being late and said it would be there in 10 minutes. In reality though the bus that would arrive in 10 minutes would be the next departure and not the service I was waiting for.

Decided to get a taxi into town instead. All the way in there were queues at the bus stops and people trying to flag down taxis that were already full of people who like me decided Dublin Bus couldn't be relied upon.

Given that most routes are diverted around the city centre, the RTPI would not work as they are not following the standard route, and the predictive times are based on normal traffic conditions, which we don't have today.

Why does this affect RTPI at inbound stops before the City Centre diversions?

howiya wrote: »

Because the delays in town cause delays all over.

Buses arriving late. Going special to try get back on time and leaving late as a result.

I had people trying to pay with €20 €50 notes and then taking ages to find change and thus hold everyone up.

Buggies not folded.

People falling out on road.

Drunk fools everywhere so having to drive slower then ever.

People on bus thinking oh I don't need to hold on and as soon as have to stop they go flying.

So much can delay a bus its unreal I could keep writing so much happens

• Advertisement

Because the delays in town cause delays all over.

Buses arriving late. Going special to try get back on time and leaving late as a result.

I had people trying to pay with €20 €50 notes and then taking ages to find change and thus hold everyone up.

Buggies not folded.

People falling out on road.

Drunk fools everywhere so having to drive slower then ever.

People on bus thinking oh I don't need to hold on and as soon as have to stop they go flying.

So much can delay a bus its unreal I could keep writing so much happens

Any of that could happen on a normal day except for the diversions for the parade but we still manage to have RTPI every other day

Any of that could happen on a normal day except for the diversions for the parade but we still manage to have RTPI every other day

I would say the system needs a good update and someone working on it full time.

On a normal day most buses wouldn't be terminating in totally different places and most displays would be showing due and times when in fact it could be another 10 to 20 mins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

- unnecessary over-capacity in the network;
    Assuming that we accept over capacity was a problem, Which do you think is more likely to deter customers from using a service: over-capacity or having to travel on a human cattle truck? Network direct gives you the latter to a depressing degree. Good call there.
    Similarly, Network Direct introduced:
    - Regular interval departures
    it didn't and a quick look at RTPI will tell you that, you will see the same route buses bunched up together in a convoy as they hit the city centre and then long gaps in service
    - Clockface schedules
    In practice it didn't and a quick look at RTPI will tell you that. You'd want to be crazy to believe that the schedules are actually adhered to.
    - Integrated timetables on certain corridors between routes that previously operated at random intervals leading to significant service gaps
    Not for me it didn't, it did the opposite. Three different routes are now showing up at the same time, thus maximizing passenger wait times. Perhaps somewhere further down their epic, Joycean voyage across Dublin it improved matters but I don't care about that as a customer

- More direct core routes on each QBC
    Meaningless. If there were no "core routes" to start with then any number is more than that. Presumably by "more direct" you mean "get off and walk the rest of the way" while the bus sails onto harristown or the dublin mountains.

[/QUOTE]

I'm one of the few people who uses network direct routes from end to near end and I can tell you now, I'm the only person on those routes who does, the routes were not based on customer demand.

Network direct was based on a cost saving premise, that dublin bus could operate services like a tram or rail system. Didn't work because they ignored the fact that they had to travel on roads rather than rail and thus lacked the main benefits of those modes: speed and punctuality based on a dedicated infrastructure

Instead we got a typical worst of both worlds solution.

In general, I tend to get the impression that your idea of a well run bus service is akin to a nicely arranged, symmetrical hornby set where inconveniences like passengers aren't a consideration :)

There are numerous cross-city routes which were on diversion, and most routes were terminating at alternative locations.

That means that:
    - Any route that has goes cross-city that the predictive times will be meaningless on the far side of the city outbound as the times taken on the diversion could not be estimated
    - Any route that leaves from an alternative terminus in the city will have meaningless times outbound as the buses would take different amounts of time to normal

Add to that you would have buses running late in one direction and potentially departures being cancelled, meaning that people would be looking at predictive times and then complaining when they disappear as departures are potentially cancelled.

To do what you are thinking, would I imagine mean having to individually select all the outbound stops on either side of the city to switch their RTPI off - that I would imagine would take forever given that it would be of the nature of 3,000 odd bus stops! It's just simply not practical.

It's clear to me that something different needs to be done, and realistically that's probably producing a special timetable for St Patrick's Day that reflects the large numbers of people travelling on the day.

A Sunday schedule on routes to/from the city is simply not good enough anymore. The NTA in my view should be revising the Dublin Bus operation to develop a specific schedule for the day with a view to:
    - Cancelling cross-city services for the first half of the day until after the parade has completed
    - Operating all radial routes to special termini in the city centre that don't require major lengthy diversions
    - Operate routes at a Saturday frequency inbound to the city before the parade and outbound afterwards
    - Develop service levels that meet demand

All of that would require a lot of work, as it would involve revised driver rosters, timetables and special RTPI schedules to be developed (or else specify frequency for each route and suspend RTPI) - that is not an insignificant amount of work for just one day, but I don't think it is acceptable to leave services at Sunday levels any more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

Nitelink is operated on a commercial basis and doesn't attract any PSO payment, as such it is a capitalistic venture, nitelinks on bank holidays are paid at premium bank holiday rates of pay so it is significantly more costly to operate on those days, and as Lxflyer pointed out, given that today was a normal work and school day for nearly everyone they took a commercial decision to not operate as there would probably not be the business to make the service viable let alone profitable.

There are numerous cross-city routes which were on diversion, and most routes were terminating at alternative locations.

That means that:
    - Any route that has goes cross-city that the predictive times will be meaningless on the far side of the city outbound as the times taken on the diversion could not be estimated
    - Any route that leaves from an alternative terminus in the city will have meaningless times outbound as the buses would take different amounts of time to normal

Add to that you would have buses running late in one direction and potentially departures being cancelled, meaning that people would be looking at predictive times and then complaining when they disappear as departures are potentially cancelled.

To do what you are thinking, would I imagine mean having to individually select all the outbound stops on either side of the city to switch their RTPI off - that I would imagine would take forever given that it would be of the nature of 3,000 odd bus stops! It's just simply not practical.

It's clear to me that something different needs to be done, and realistically that's probably producing a special timetable for St Patrick's Day that reflects the large numbers of people travelling on the day.

A Sunday schedule on routes to/from the city is simply not good enough anymore. The NTA in my view should be revising the Dublin Bus operation to develop a specific schedule for the day with a view to:
    - Cancelling cross-city services for the first half of the day until after the parade has completed
    - Operating all radial routes to special termini in the city centre that don't require major lengthy diversions
    - Operate routes at a Saturday frequency inbound to the city before the parade and outbound afterwards
    - Develop service levels that meet demand

All of that would require a lot of work, as it would involve revised driver rosters, timetables and special RTPI schedules to be developed (or else specify frequency for each route and suspend RTPI) - that is not an insignificant amount of work for just one day, but I don't think it is acceptable to leave services at Sunday levels any more.

There were other diversions outside of the city for local parades as well, Swords, Celbridge, Leixlip, Maynooth etc

The problem is that Sunday services have been cut to the bone in recent years, and St Patrick's Day really highlights it, in fairness there were extra buses operating on the main corridors over and above the normal Sunday service but it clearly isn't enough, that said it is difficult to get people who want to put up with the anti social behavior that accompanies Patrick's Day and when you couple it with reduced pay levels on bank holidays some people would prefer to spend the day with their own family than trying to manage a gang of rampant drunken teenagers fighting, vomiting wrecking the bus, attacking other passengers etc etc

• Advertisement

Bambi wrote: »
    Assuming that we accept over capacity was a problem, Which do you think is more likely to deter customers from using a service: over-capacity or having to travel on a human cattle truck? Network direct gives you the latter to a depressing degree. Good call there.

it didn't and a quick look at RTPI will tell you that, you will see the same route buses bunched up together in a convoy as they hit the city centre and then long gaps in service

In practice it didn't and a quick look at RTPI will tell you that. You'd want to be crazy to believe that the schedules are actually adhered to.

Not for me it didn't, it did the opposite. Three different routes are now showing up at the same time, thus maximizing passenger wait times. Perhaps somewhere further down their epic, Joycean voyage across Dublin it improved matters but I don't care about that as a customer

Meaningless. If there were no "core routes" to start with then any number is more than that. Presumably by "more direct" you mean "get off and walk the rest of the way" while the bus sails onto harristown or the dublin mountains.

I'm one of the few people who uses network direct routes from end to near end and I can tell you now, I'm the only person on those routes who does, the routes were not based on customer demand.

Network direct was based on a cost saving premise, that dublin bus could operate services like a tram or rail system. Didn't work because they ignored the fact that they had to travel on roads rather than rail and thus lacked the main benefits of those modes: speed and punctuality based on a dedicated infrastructure

Instead we got a typical worst of both worlds solution.

In general, I tend to get the impression that your idea of a well run bus service is akin to a nicely arranged, symmetrical hornby set where inconveniences like passengers aren't a consideration :)

With respect, you clearly have an issue with the implementation of the changes on one particular route. That does not mean that your experience has been replicated across the entire network. There are numerous areas where the changes resulted in an improved service.

I think that you have to be realistic about the capacity - there were plenty of buses running around either completely empty or half empty. That's a luxury that just could not continue. While it might be less comfortable for you having to share your seat, I'm afraid that situation couldn't continue - the economics of that make no sense.

I think you may be at cross-purposes with what I mean in my posts, as actually we agree about some of this.

Regular interval departures:
    This means that the timetable is designed so that buses depart the terminus at regular intervals, rather than haphazard times. Every route timetable now has that. Prior to Network Direct many routes were scheduled at completely haphazard frequencies.

Clockface departures:
    This means that buses depart the terminus at the same times each hour during the off-peak periods - most if not all timetables have that also.

Both of these, if correctly implemented, mean that people should be able in the off-peak to know when buses are going to show up each hour. At peak times this is less of an issue as frequencies tend to be higher.

Now you will see that I underlined the phrase "if correctly implemented".

One of the main problems at the outset with certain routes (and it was certainly not all routes) was that they were not given enough running time to get from one terminus to the other. This meant that the timetable became unachievable because buses were arriving late at the terminus having completed a journey, and the next journey was either cancelled or only worked half the route. Particular routes that I can recall that had this issue at the outset were the 13, 14 (at particular times) and the 38 and 38a. It took far too long for revised schedules to be drawn up that did allow the public timetable to be achievable. That was not acceptable in my view as it showed a serious disregard for the customer.

The second problem is what you correctly focus in on and that's even headways throughout the route. That means buses operating at regular even intervals all along the route. That was not implemented and that is what I am saying needs to happen - that requires timed intervals all along the route and specific points where buses would be held if they operate ahead of that schedule in the off-peak. The problem is that the official timetables as they are only have the times they depart the terminus and where there is a driver changeover.

That's a major project in itself - when DB implemented Network Direct they would not have the systems in place to accurately develop intermediate timing points - they do now and that needs to happen. It isn't enough to just do the departures, it needs to also then be developed all along the route.

I appreciate that your particular service may not have improved in your view, but there are plenty of places where they did:

By "more direct" I meant that the principal routes on most QBCs operate along a more direct route, which is what the majority of people want.

Examples of improved direct routes on QBCs include:
    Blanchardstown: The 39a operates direct along the N3 now to Blanchardstown Centre with the 39 still serving Clonsilla Road

Stillorgan/Dun Laoghaire/Bray
    : The 46a by-passes Stillorgan Village and operates direct along Kill Lane instead (bypassing Monkstown Farm which has an extended 4 at one end and the 63 through it), and the 145 no longer has random buses going via Bray Station which caused bunching

Rathfarnham: The 16 and 16a merged into one single route from Ballinteer to the Airport delivering a much higher frequency to Grange Road where demand was much higher than Nutgrove Avenue which now has the 61 along with the 17 and 75.

Lucan: The 25a and 25b re-routed via the Chapelizod by-pass instead of via Chapelizod

Finglas: The 40d operating directly along the Finglas Road rather than through Finglas South

While some people will have lost out in these examples, the majority of people benefitted from a faster bus service. Most areas that lost the high frequency service received a local bus service that operated at a lower frequency that was more in line with demand levels. There is a trade-off here - people cannot expect a door-to-door high frequency bus, but they should be within a short walk of one.

Some corridors have fully integrated services.

On the Lucan corridor, for example, the 25a/25b operate at regular intervals in either direction, and the 26, 66, 66a, 66b and 67 all depart the city at regular intervals. Before ND these routes were departing at the same times and then having long gaps.

Similarly on the Howth Road there are no longer 29a, 31/a/b and 32 buses departing at the same times from the city - they are all spaced out far more evenly.

The 15a and 15b are now integrated together - these were previously completely haphazard.

But I never said that was done to perfection. I said quite clearly that there needs to be a focus other corridors so that more bus routes are integrated with one another - introducing full headways into schedules will make that easier, but that's a huge task trying to marry up routes that may be coming from different places. It's not always going to be possible, but if two routes are serving one corridor, then they ought to be integrated.

I said again that I would not expect large numbers of people to go end to end on the cross-city routes, but rather make longer intermediate trips cross-city, where they used to take two buses. The 14 and 15 both carry good numbers cross-city, the Lucan buses all bring people into the CBD now, the 40 brings Finglas passengers across to Dame Street, the 145 carries good numbers from Heuston and the Quays along the Stillorgan QBC - these are just examples. No one expects large numbers to go from end to end - it's allowing people make longer trips on one bus rather than two that was the intention.

So while you clearly have issues, and I respect that, it's not fair to say that the project was a complete failure. Many areas have a better service in terms of frequency or schedule design. Some areas don't and that needs to be dealt with.

Network Direct was a start in the right direction - it sorted out the random departure times. The headways along the corridors still need addressing. I can't really see where that is not focussing on passengers as you seem to think I'm not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,139 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

I'm suggesting another private service on top of Dublin bus.
    fair enough. you didn't mention that.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words.

no but the NTA won't pay for more then a sunday service. i agree a sunday service yesterday was ridiculous but unless its payed for its not going to happen. dublin bus have no say in the matter. i'd go as far as to say they never did have much if any say over their history. they could fight more for the funding but i get the don't rock the boat mentality if i'm honest

A public service provides hints and not a service now?
    the NTA calls the shots. if they don't want to fund a night link or more then a sunday service on a public holiday then thats what happens. i don't agree with it but its out of dublin busses hands

With respect, you clearly have an issue with the implementation of the changes on one particular route. That does not mean that your experience has been replicated across the entire network. There are numerous areas where the changes resulted in an improved service.

Not one particular route chief, I use five or six different routes week in and out. Obviously not covering the same amount of routes as a dublin busemployee does though ;)

Regular interval departures:
    This means that the timetable is designed so that buses depart the terminus at regular intervals, rather than haphazard times. Every route timetable now has that. Prior to Network Direct many routes were scheduled at completely haphazard frequencies which meant that

Clockface departures:
    This means that buses depart the terminus at the same times each hour during the off-peak periods - most if not all timetables have that also.

Both of these, if correctly implemented, mean that people should be able in the off-peak to know when buses are going to show up each hour. At peak times this is less of an issue as frequencies tend to be higher.

You're heavily qualifying those much trumpeted benefits now :confused:. Departing a terminus at a set time sounds great but I'm about 10 minutes from a terminus and the routes still aren't predictable or reliable i.e.: haphazard. Which is why RTPI, for all its quirks, is an absolute necessity

All of which leads to another pub quiz question: what's dublin bus' definition of "peak times"? :pac:

• Advertisement

Not one particular route chief, I use five or six different routes week in and out. Obviously not covering the same amount of routes as a dublin busemployee does though ;)

You're heavily qualifying those much trumpeted benefits now :confused:. Departing a terminus at a set time sounds great but I'm about 10 minutes from a terminus and the routes still aren't predictable or reliable i.e.: haphazard. Which is why RTPI, for all its quirks, is an absolute necessity

All of which leads to another pub quiz question: what's dublin bus' definition of "peak times"? :pac:

For the record (once again) I have no connection with Dublin Bus and am not an employee. Just because I put a contrasting view to yours, does not mean that you have the right to imply that I do have such a connection, which you are doing. I do have a particular interest in public transport operations, but am not working in that sector.

I'm not qualifying anything. That is what those terms mean. If you read something else into them, that's up to you. I'm not really going to continue with this discussion as clearly you don't see any of these things as being improvements. I certainly view them as an improvement on what was there before, but as I have clearly said, there needs to be a second round of Network Direct to actually get headway benefits all along the bus routes. How feasible that is with the ongoing LUAS works in the city centre is another question altogether given the different impact it has on bus routes from one day to another.

For the record (once again) I have no connection with Dublin Bus and am not an employee. Just because I put a contrasting view to yours, does not mean that you have the right to imply that I do have such a connection, which you are doing. I do have a particular interest in public transport operations, but am not working in that sector.

Maybe bear all that in mind when you make assumptions about me so. Sauce for the goose chief

Maybe bear all that in mind when you make assumptions about me so. Sauce for the goose chief
    i don't remember him saying anything about you. he suggested that because the particular routes you use may not meet your needs that it doesn't mean they don't meet the needs of the majority. of course whether they do meet the needs of the majority i don't know either way but thats a far cry from him supposibly making assumptions about you

I don't like clock face timetables they are inefficient and unnecessary with RTPI, that said all DB can do is leave the set point at the appointed time what happens after that is out of its control, it can't clamp, tow or issue fines it can't force councils to provide bus priority measures and it can't force the Gardai to police bus priority measures when they are provided.

cdebru wrote: »
    I don't like clock face timetables they are inefficient and unnecessary with RTPI, that said all DB can do is leave the set point at the appointed time what happens after that is out of its control, it can't clamp, tow or issue fines it can't force councils to provide bus priority measures and it can't force the Gardai to police bus priority measures when they are provided.

While they might not seem efficient and necessary to you from an internal perspective (I appreciate that they can mean buses laying over at termini for longer periods), they are much more customer friendly and that frankly is who the services are supposed to be designed for. Having buses leaving at the same minutes past each hour makes using the bus much easier. I know exactly what times my local routes leave the terminus (and how long they should take to get to me) without having to check the timetable or RTPI every time.

It's particularly relevant the lower the frequency on the route.

While they might not seem efficient and necessary to you from an internal perspective (I appreciate that they can mean buses laying over at termini for longer periods), they are much more customer friendly and that frankly is who the services are supposed to be designed for. Having buses leaving at the same minutes past each hour makes using the bus much easier. I know exactly what times my local rouve the terminus (and how long they should take to get to me) without having to check the timetable or RTPI every time.

It's particularly relevant the lower the frequency on the route.

And if a bus sits around for 20 to 30 minutes every journey waiting to leave at a clock face timing point that's good use of limited resources is it ? I know what time the bus is without looking at a timetable but to facilitate that I get a bus every hour instead of every 30 or 40 minutes, with rtpi, and the app on smart phones clock face timetables are simply a waste of resources.

i don't remember him saying anything about you.
    Read again so.

"With respect, you clearly have an issue with the implementation of the changes on one particular route."

thats ignoring the "head in the sand" etc comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,979 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I'm sorry but that is poor misdirection for Dublin Buses failings.

Dublin Bus has plenty of things under it's control that do lead directly to poor journey times.

It was Dublin Bus who decided to buy nothing but single door buses for years and thus lead to some of the worst dwell and journey times I've ever experienced anywhere in Europe.

It is Dublin Bus and it's drivers who still largely opt not to properly use the dual door buses that have eventually and correctly been bought for them by the NTA and thus lead to high dwell times and slow journey times.

It was Dublin Bus who designed and implemented the awful and confusing stage fare system that requires a high degree of driver interaction.

It was Dublin Buses decision after it got rid of ticket sellers on buses to move instead to the driver selling the ticket and single door operation, while most other European countries at the same time when they got rid of conductors instead moved to multi-door buses with off bus ticketing and time stamping machines and even replaced the conductors with automated ticket selling machines on buses. A vastly superior way of operating compared to the Dublin Bus model, with vastly reduced dwell times.

In fact the biggest mistake Dublin Bus made and it is from this decision that most of the reason for Dublin Buses poor performance stems from.

As I already pointed out, the bus to the airport in Krakow does the same journey at almost exactly twice the speed as Dublin Bus, with purely multi-door operation and zero driver interaction ticketing. No special bus lanes or bus priority or Garda enforcement required. All things well within the control of Dublin Bus.

It seems to me that CIE staff love to blame everyone else for their failings.

Take the argument that the city council isn't helping! It seems to me the city council has been doing a great deal to try and help Dublin Bus:

- Bus lanes and QBC's built throughout the city (much to the anger of motorists)
    - Very successful bus gate operated in the city center
    - Brand new public transport only bridge
    - New contraflow bus only lanes

It seems to me that while it can certainly do more, the city council has actually been doing a great deal of what Dublin Bus has been asking of it.

Yet Dublin Bus hasn't been keeping up it's end the bargain, it hasn't been taking on any of the best practices that have been proven to very successfully reduce bus dwell times and thus decrease journey times throughout Europe.

The problem really doesn't seem to be with the city council or the NTA, the problem really does seem to be with CIE and it's companies who show zero innovation or motivation for change.

bk wrote: »

no, its not
    Dublin Bus has plenty of things under it's control that do lead directly to poor journey times.

debatible
    It was Dublin Bus who decided to buy nothing but single door buses for years and thus lead to some of the worst dwell and journey times I've ever experienced anywhere in Europe.

they did have double door busses, people didn't want to use the centre door so no more were bought for a while.
    It is Dublin Bus and it's drivers who still largely opt not to properly use the dual door buses that have eventually and correctly been bought for them by the NTA and thus lead to high dwell times and slow journey times.

because they can't for issues discussed time and time again. and again, the NTA clearly except the reasons that they can't be used for now. and just in case, i don't care about eastern europe
    It was Dublin Bus who designed and implemented the awful and confusing stage fare system that requires a high degree of driver interaction.

are you sure it wasn't the department of transport? i would bet they would have had a lot of say in things, more then we would believe.
    It was Dublin Buses decision after it got rid of ticket sellers on buses to move instead to the driver selling the ticket and single door operation, while most other European countries at the same time when they got rid of conductors instead moved to multi-door buses with off bus ticketing and time stamping machines and even replaced the conductors with automated ticket selling machines on buses. A vastly superior way of operating compared to the Dublin Bus model, with vastly reduced dwell times.

again, debatible as to whether those methods reduced, rather then helped reduce in conjunction with a lot of other things. remember when dublin bus got rid of conductors penny pinching was the way toards public transport by the government.
    As I already pointed out, the bus to the airport in Krakow does the same journey at almost exactly twice the speed as Dublin Bus, with purely multi-door operation and zero driver interaction ticketing.

yeah, i'm sure. they must have some sort of priority, maybe even speed priority over other vehicles.
    No special bus lanes or bus priority or Garda enforcement required. All things well within the control of Dublin Bus.

well, they must have some kind of priority. frankly no bus priority or garda enforcement is not within dublin busses control.

really? maybe because there are others to blame. even me who isn't CIE staff can see there is a lot more to it.
    Take the argument that the city council isn't helping! It seems to me the city council has been doing a great deal to try and help Dublin Bus:

- Bus lanes and QBC's built throughout the city (much to the anger of motorists)

It seems to me that while it can certainly do more, the city council has actually been doing a great deal of what Dublin Bus has been asking of it.

Yet Dublin Bus hasn't been keeping up it's end the bargain, it hasn't been taking on any of the best practices that have been proven to very successfully reduce bus dwell times and thus decrease journey times throughout Europe.

because at the moment until the city is set up for them, there wouldn't be a reduction in dwell times. and they have only been proven to do so in europe in conjunction with a lot more
    The problem really doesn't seem to be with the city council or the NTA, the problem really does seem to be with CIE and it's companies who show zero innovation or motivation for change.

the NTA makes the decisians now. you just refuse to get it. you honestly think companies will be showing innovation? what innovation. dublin bus have plenty of motivation to change, otherwise we wouldn't have gotten improvements over the years. we would have needed a regulator anyway and we got it. no point in going on about things in other cities unrelated to dublin which have different ways of doing things and which make sure their city is set up so that it will work. again, dublin bus have no say. its debatible as to whether they ever had a say in anything. maybe put your points toards irish rail, they seem to get more of a free rein.

In fact the biggest mistake Dublin Bus made and it is from this decision that most of the reason for Dublin Buses poor performance stems from.

As I already pointed out, the bus to the airport in Krakow does the same journey at almost exactly twice the speed as Dublin Bus, with purely multi-door operation and zero driver interaction ticketing. No special bus lanes or bus priority or Garda enforcement required. All things well within the control of Dublin Bus.

Dual door operation is not within Dublin Bus control for all the reasons already pointed out to you, DB intended to move to dual door operations when conductors were removed however the reality of the situation is that it is not currently possible to use center doors correctly in Dublin and has never been that was why the move was made to single door operation, it was a recognition if the reality, the NTA want to pretend that reality does not exist and the only issue with center door use was a lack of center doors that was NEVER the case.

Now you are hung up on center door use like it is the panacea to all our public transport woes, it is not as already pointed out you you are comparing apples and oranges and presuming the difference between them is multiple doors but as already pointed out the 66 covers the same distance as the 27 about 30% quicker and about 40% quicker than a 16 but it has nothing to do with center doors it is all about congestion.

As for your contention that local councils are supporting public transport in fairness that did make me laugh, are they supporting public transport when they locate a Dublin bike stand on the entry to the parkgate street bus stop, are they supporting public transport when they prioritize on street parking over bus stops and bus lanes ?

I suggest you get out and look without the Dublin bus is always wrong blinkers you have on, DB can and must improve but you are looking at a symptom and presuming it is the cause of the problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭KD345

To be fair, Dublin Bus took a major leap around 1990 with the introduction of one person operated buses (OPO) and with that came centre door use. Since then, as has been discussed here, Labour Court rulings muddied the water on when and if they should be used. Fast forward to 2000, when the company decides all future buses will be wheelchair accessible. When choosing a new model like they did with the ALX400, they went for the single door option. I can understand the logic of this - why would they give up valuable space on the bus for centre doors when they were not being opened? Instead they chose to use this space for seats/wheelchair space and luggage racks. Was that the right decision, who knows, but I can certainly understand their reasoning.

They were not alone in this decision either - only recently I was in Edinburgh using the excellent Lothian services. Their new double deckers are all single door and have been for some time.

Roughly one quarter of the Dublin Bus fleet now have centre doors, still quite a small number. As much as I can see the benefits of dual door operation, I would prefer to wait until more buses have them, and also wait until the current cross city Luas works are complete and their safe operation is possible.

Totally agree. The system is confusing and out of date at this stage. It is now up to the NTA to change this. It can't come soon enough.

I understand your annoyance and frustration at Dublin bus operations over the years, but all of your points are no longer the responsibility of the company - the NTA now call the shots.

As a bus commuter I'm actually quite happy with Dublin Bus and believe they have improved a lot over the last decade. There is a lot of work to be done, but my eyes are on the NTA rather than the bus operator.

KD345 wrote: »
    Totally agree. The system is confusing and out of date at this stage. It is now up to the NTA to change this. It can't come soon enough.

I understand your annoyance and frustration at Dublin bus operations over the years, but all of your points are no longer the responsibility of the company - the NTA now call the shots.

As a bus commuter I'm actually quite happy with Dublin Bus and believe they have improved a lot over the last decade. There is a lot of work to be done, but my eyes are on the NTA rather than the bus operator.

The staged fare system goes back to the time of CIE Dublin City Services and is actually a very fair way of charging people for public transport. It has different fares for short, medium and long journeys, and it ensures that people who use routes that cojoin at a particular point having used different corridors do not get charged different fares.

DB however, did not help making it any easier to understand by inexplicably removing the physical fare stage indicators from each bus stop.

However, I would totally agree that it has had its day, as is not suited to the modern smart card operation. This change means that we need a simplified fare structure.

Now I have to once again remind posters that Dublin Bus attempted to simplify the fare structure at the time of the Punt/Euro changeover to one of a single flat fare but this was shot down by the Department of Transport. That having happened, DB were hardly going to try again as the DoT were likely to say no again.

One needs to realise that the regulatory authorities are actually the ones calling the shots here ultimately.

The NTA have now full control over setting fares for all PSO services, and have done for a number of years now. They (and not the companies) are the ones calling the shots. They have made it quite clear that they intend, over a period of time, to simplify the fare structures. We have seen this in each of the fare determinations in recent years, having moved to four possible LEAP adult fares from seven.

There was never going to be a "big bang" approach to switching from the staged fares to a flat fare, given that the company's financial position was in a precarious state, requiring emergency state aid. This is an essential public service, and taking a risk of a shock change to the company's revenue was never going to happen.

And those suggesting that there has been no change from DB, seem to ignore the massive network changes that took place in recent years.

And if a bus sits around for 20 to 30 minutes every journey waiting to leave at a clock face timing point that's good use of limited resources is it ? I know what time the bus is without looking at a timetable but to facilitate that I get a bus every hour instead of every 30 or 40 minutes, with rtpi, and the app on smart phones clock face timetables are simply a waste of resources.

You have a point to an extent, but I would suggest that it does have limited application.

The first key point is that timetables need regular interval departures, and I think we both agree on that.

Whether moving from clock face timetables is appropriate or not will depend upon on a number of circumstances:

- Nature of the route and integration with other routes
    - Frequency
    - Running time lengths

Where a route is on a standalone basis and not integrated with other services, and the running time is, say 40 minutes, then yes I would agree that it would be better to operate it say every 45 minutes than every hour.

But where a route has 2, 3 or more departures an hour, then I think clockface departures have to be the way to operate.

However, take a corridor where a route has three or four branches. Then in order to attempt to deliver an integrated service all along the route then a clock face service on all of the branches will be necessary, and this may mean that buses have to wait at termini for longer periods where running times differ. The key is to offer a regular interval service from the point where those routes join and that will generally mean clock face.

Reports over the years have indicated that people are more attracted to using public transport where timetables are simple, regular, predictable and consistent.

I don't agree that people don't look at timetables - if you look at a timetable and see that it has clock face departures on a route at xx:10, xx:30 and xx:50 for example it becomes pretty much second nature to know when a bus is due (under normal conditions) at a stop on many routes, particularly if you are within say 20 minutes of the terminus.

That means that:

Thanks for the explanation but to the majority of Dublin Bus customers that don't come to this thread for an explanation it looks **** when you stand at a stop and see that the RTPI is turned off.

Add in to the equation that buses weren't turning up when they should. Half an hour frequency on a route and a bus going missing making it a bus every hour and no real time information. Misinformation on twitter etc. Why would people use Dublin Bus if they had any alternative?

Thanks for the explanation but to the majority of Dublin Bus customers that don't come to this thread for an explanation it looks **** when you stand at a stop and see that the RTPI is turned off.

Add in to the equation that buses weren't turning up when they should. Half an hour frequency on a route and a bus going missing making it a bus every hour and no real time information. Misinformation on twitter etc. Why would people use Dublin Bus if they had any alternative?

Well perhaps you can come up with an alternative for the RTPI - bear in mind that coming up with predictive times for an altered route requires someone to sit down and come up with full timetables for each stop - that's a lot of man hours.

There needs to be an enhanced timetable for the day but delivering that is tricky with all the add ons and diversions.

I'm not sure DB were giving misinformation out?

Well perhaps you can come up with an alternative - bear in mind that coming up with predictive times for an altered route requires someone to sit down and come up with full timetables for each stop - that's a lot of man hours.

I'm the customer. Why would I do Dublin Bus' job for them?

I'm the customer. Why would I do Dublin Bus' job for them?

The problems you quote about buses going missing and frequency are ones that could be dealt with by having special timetables for the day.

But I think RTPI might be a tall order, given the amount of work setting it up for every single route would be.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,979 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

And those suggesting that there has been no change from DB, seem to ignore the massive network changes that took place in recent years.

That is pretty much the only success DB has had over the last few years and only partly completed at that.

You can also easily argue that Network Direct was largely for the benefit of Dublin Bus, rather then passengers. ND allowed DB to actually increase it's subsidy per bus, while the overall subsidy to the company decreased!

They did this by basically stuffing more customers onto each bus, which has now lead to a situation where the economy is picking up and DB is ending up with full buses and people being passed at stops.

So I'm not sure ND was overall beneficial for the customers.

Now I'm not going to say ND was a bad thing, making more efficient use of resources is never a bad thing, but the primary goal of it certainly wasn't to create a better experience for the passengers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Heard a new automated announcement for the first time yesterday on one of the newer buses, advising passengers that they should exit through the centre doors only.
    Gold help any unwitting tourists who assumed they should actually obey instructions, given that the centre doors never opened once while I was on the bus.

• Advertisement

MOH wrote: »
    Heard a new automated announcement for the first time yesterday on one of the newer buses, advising passengers that they should exit through the centre doors only.
    Gold help any unwitting tourists who assumed they should actually obey instructions, given that the centre doors never opened once while I was on the bus.

that's been said since 1st introduction of new fleet.

While DB have been getting a lot of the macro issues sorted out, it's this sort of lack of attention to detail that just makes me want to bang my head off the wall.

It's the kind of thing that just makes the company look plain daft.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭ITV2

Funny enough this morning on a full bus the driver used the centre doors for most stops on my journey, the passengers walked up to the front doors completely ignoring the centre doors. I thought to myself why did he bother.:confused:

ITV2 wrote: »
    Funny enough this morning on a full bus the driver used the centre doors for most stops on my journey, the passengers walked up to the front doors completely ignoring the centre doors. I thought to myself why did he bother.:confused:

You really can't blame the passengers for this. They have been brain washed for years that the rear doors aren't used and that they should always use the front doors and make their way forward as quickly as possible or they will miss their stop.

I've often watched foreign tourists stand by the rear door, waiting for it to open so they can exit and then look all confused when it doesn't and scramble forward to exit. Thus teaching them to ignore that door, like everyone else in Dublin always does!

Even today, the rear doors are rarely used, so people don't even think to check if they are open. The design of the new buses also doesn't help with it putting the rear door well behind the stairs, so people coming down the stairs don't notice that it is open! It would be better if the rear doors were directly across from the stairs, so you naturally flow out of it when open.

DB needs to consistently start using both doors 100% of the time at all stops and then people will gradually learn to trust that they can actually use the rear door and will wait by it, rather then moving forward.

It will take time to change, but you can't expect people to use the rear doors when Dublin Bus doesn't use them most of the time!

You really can't blame the passengers for this. They have been brain washed for years that the rear doors aren't used and that they should always use the front doors and make their way forward as quickly as possible or they will miss their stop.

brainwashed? or making up their own minds not to use them? god forbid they should make their own decisians. look, we get it, your annoyed over the centre doors not being used, thats fine, but not only has it been explained to you why they can't be used, reasons excepted by the NTA by the looks of it, but lets not try make out people are stupid and can't make their own decisians.
    DB needs to consistently start using both doors 100% of the time at all stops and then people will gradually learn to trust that they can actually use the rear door and will wait by it, rather then moving forward.

they will do so when stops are set up for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,928 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Even today, the rear doors are rarely used, so people don't even think to check if they are open. The design of the new buses also doesn't help with it putting the rear door well behind the stairs, so people coming down the stairs don't notice that it is open! It would be better if the rear doors were directly across from the stairs, so you naturally flow out of it when open.

+1.. the interior layout is extremely poor in this regard - the (few!) dual-door Airlink AV's were the same.. rear door placed beyond the stairwell.

The older RA/RH/RV's had this right (as indeed did the KD's if I remember right).. the rear doors were directly across from the stairs. It seems that logic and natural flow has now been replaced by on-board gimmicks/annoyances instead.

• Advertisement

When designing a bus they dont seem to get any input from the people that actually have to drive them or use them for that matter.

As I have said before the last big buy from 2012 on have been poor in my opinion.

The exact same buses operate in London, and the centre doors work ok. People go left at the bottom of the stairs.

The issue is that, until you have full operation of entry by exit door at every single stop (rather than some drivers using them and others not, or them being used only at certain stops), then people are not going to naturally head left rather than right having come down the stairs. They are going to do what they always have done.

And courtesy of the Labour Court ruling, that's not going to happen until we have a situation where the drivers can no longer claim that stops are not safe, which in my view, is going to require a full safety audit (including possible relocation) of all bus stops.

I'd consider that putting the centre doors directly across from the stairs would not be viewed as particularly safe as if someone fell, they could continue falling out of the bus.

Don't forget the extra stress and trouble the centre door brings to the already overcrowded party.

Doors been abused where they are been opened by others(not the driver)
    I had this happen a good few times on the RV's. both inside and out.

People are jumping on through centre doors quite a lot to avoid paying.
    There is the added risk of people getting caught in door and so on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

brainwashed? or making up their own minds not to use them? god forbid they should make their own decisians. look, we get it, your annoyed over the centre doors not being used, thats fine, but not only has it been explained to you why they can't be used, reasons excepted by the NTA by the looks of it, but lets not try make out people are stupid and can't make their own decisians.

they will do so when stops are set up for them.

So why on earth are DB making announcements telling people to use them?

So why on earth are DB making announcements telling people to use them?
    i don't know, i'd imagine they were just put in to get the P.A. system set up without having to add more things later on, but that is just a guess. i'd agree those anouncements should be removed from the system or if possible disabled until centre door operation is up and running on a route to avoid unnecessary confusion

• Advertisement
Advertisement