Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus - Rathfarnham to City Centre

Options
  • 04-12-2014 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Greetings. Have just moved to Rathfarnham and had the joy of getting the number 14 bus to Connolly Train station this morning. Travel time on bus alone was 1hr 5 mins having got on at 8.15.
    Two questions :
    Is this journey time typical for that hour of the day (made no progress in Rathmines for about 20 mins)?. No 16 bus is the same distance from my home so I’m wondering is that route any quicker? (although it does leave me a bit further from my work at the city centre end).

A couple of points.
    1) I cycle to and from work the vast majority of the time whatever the weather - is about 25 mins on the new commute. However there will be the odd time when I will need to get public transport.
    2) I appreciate I got the bus at the height of rush hour but leaving earlier is tricky due to childcare issues.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,563 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

There are roadworks between South Richmond Street and Charlotte Way (they are installing a contra flow bus lane) that are causing major delays on all routes inbound that operate via Rathmines and may affect those on the South Circular Road.

The works do seem to be approaching completion but may take a week or so more.

If you are getting the 14 in the area above Nutgrove, it might be worth considering taking it in the opposite direction to Dundrum and then taking the LUAS from there for the next week or so.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

MacAttackJ wrote: »
    A couple of points.
    1) I cycle to and from work the vast majority of the time whatever the weather - is about 25 mins on the new commute. However there will be the odd time when I will need to get public transport.

When you need to use public transport, what's the main reason you can't use the bicycle?

Traffic on this route and others is only likely to disimprove given more people at work and the plans for Luas BXD and Bus Rapid Transport.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

I normally take the 16 bus leaving the terminus at 7:20 when I'm not cycling. That tends to get to O'Connell St in about 45mins as it misses most of the traffic. I'd rather be in work 50mins early than spend an extra 30mins on the bus. Obviously this will depend on your job.

I would concur with this - any bus after the 07:20 on the 16 and the 07:05 on the 14 starts getting snarled up in traffic - both of these should take about 45 minutes from the terminus.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 MacAttackJ

Thank all. I run in and out of work a good bit. Ran home last night meaning my bike was left in work. Could (and wish I had) have run in again this morning but generally prefer not to double up like that.
    Have to get the bus in again tomorrow actually as it’s my work Christmas party tomorrow night and we couldn’t be drinking and cycling now could we – and don’t want to leave bike in work for the weekend. Will get the 16 and see how it goes, although traffic is always lighter on a Friday anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,290 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Consider getting a 16 to Harold's Cross (at the hospice) and then changing to a 49 or 54a which operate via Christchurch. However, they aren't very frequent.

But ultimately, leaving earlier means a much quicker trip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Red Kev

Luas from Ranelagh and a 20 min walk is a far more reliable option.

Bus is very unreliable during commuting times, I always cycled myself from Dartry or took the Luas from Milltown if the weather was bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 greenhib

Any idea of how long it would take starting from Orlagh to the IFSC?
    Is it worth driving or will the bus do?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

greenhib wrote: »
    Orlagh, Knocklyon? Jaysus, I wouldn't drive, so many pinch points unless you leave before 7:30.

Bus is fine, there's a regular 15 service goes right by the entrance to the estate and drops you into the IFSC.

Just watch your time; if you leave it much past 8am to get the 15 you can find that the bus is 90% full, if not completely full of schoolkids by the time it gets to Orlagh (they all get on at Woodstown).
    An alternative option is the five minute walk down to get the 15B - this drives along the south edge of the IFSC, so brings you right to the door, but goes a bit around the world between Knocklyon and Rathgar.

I'm coming from Ballycullen so on the rare days that I do get a bus, I prefer to hop off at the canals and find a Dublinbike to complete my journey; it's always quicker.
    That's personal preference though and may not suit everyone.

Use www.a-b.ie or the National Journey Planner app for your smartphone - it should give you a reasonable estimate for the journey.

• Advertisement

Here is the Orlagh that was mentioned <sorry cannot attach the link as I'm a new user>

So I'm not sure of where the bus stop is outside of the retreat centre. It will be a good long walk and in the fresh cold though. I wouldn't mind biking it, and let's say I leave at 6:00am then how long do you think it would take to reach the IFSC? By the way I'm not sure of the route (biking route) at all. Is there a link that you have anyways for the Dublinbike service?

Are you working in the IFSC?

Did you figure out the route yourself when you first started biking it?
    Thanks Seamus.

Here is the Orlagh that was mentioned <sorry cannot attach the link as I'm a new user>

So I'm not sure of where the bus stop is outside of the retreat centre. It will be a good long walk and in the fresh cold though. I wouldn't mind biking it, and let's say I leave at 6:00am then how long do you think it would take to reach the IFSC? By the way I'm not sure of the route (biking route) at all. Is there a link that you have anyways for the Dublinbike service?

Thanks Seamus.

Use the link I gave you above and enter the addresses - it will give you reasonably reliable information.

Use [cannot repost your link as I am a new user] or the National Journey Planner app for your smartphone - it should give you a reasonable estimate for the journey.[/QUOTE]

useful information indeed. just found the apps page and hope that the bb can download it.
    thank you.

It's about 11km from Orlagh to the IFSC. An ordinary cyclist should be able to do it in 45 minutes, a fit cyclist in 30, a sport cyclist 20-25.

Use hte NTA cycle planner to work out a route: http://www.journeyplanner.transportforireland.ie/cp/XSLT_TRIP_REQUEST2?itdLPxx_tabNav=tab3&language=en

Easier route via Dartry and Ranelagh. Direct route via Kimmage.

Victor wrote: »
    It's about 11km from Orlagh to the IFSC. An ordinary cyclist should be able to do it in 45 minutes, a fit cyclist in 30, a sport cyclist 20-25.

Use hte NTA cycle planner to work out a route:

Easier route via Dartry and Ranelagh. Direct route via Kimmage.

Victor would it therefore be safe to assume that in ordinary circumstances if it should take 45 minutes bicycling it to the IFSC then driving should be faster or worse if one commences at 6:00am?

Did you take longer the first time round to go from your residence to work or was it like driving the car for the first time?

Thanks Seamus.
    Oh, the Augustinians? That's a different matter entirely, it's in Oldcourt, about 2km from the Orlagh estate in Knocklyon :)

I live in the estate directly north of it and I have worked in the IFSC in the past (and I'm still working on the quays).

Biking it is pretty easy. There's the journey planner route and then there's the one with the most favourable run of lights and traffic. I was familiar with the city already, so when I started cycling I just tried out a few different routes and stuck with the one I liked best.

Orlagh to the IFSC, I would recommend Ballycullen Road to Firhouse Road, onto the Templeogue Bridge, right onto the N81/Templeogue road, and then just stick with that road all the way to Dame Street. Then right onto Dame Street, onto O'Connell Bridge and right onto the quays down to the IFSC.
    Most journey planners seem to recommend going down through Harold's Cross towards Christchurch - but the actual difference in distance is only around 100m and it has more troublesome junctions, lanes and bus stops than the N81.

Time getting in for a new cyclist is as Victor says. You functionally limited however to a journey time of around 30 minutes no matter how fit you are - you have to stop at lights which add 5-10 minutes onto the journey depending on how lucky you are that day. Fastest run I did from Ballycullen to the IFSC was in the order of 22 minutes, on an early morning sometime between Xmas and New Year where I had perfect weather, no traffic and short light sequences at most junctions. A typical day is always in the order of 30 minutes.

If you drove at 6am, you will make it in around 25 minutes. The roads are dead at that time.
    The 15 and 15B bus terminii are a five minute walk from the front gate of Orlagh. Journey time to the IFSC @ 7:30 on a normal day (i.e. during winter when schools are active) is around 90 minutes. At 7am, journey time is about 65 minutes.

seamus wrote: »
    Oh, the Augustinians? That's a different matter entirely, it's in Oldcourt, about 2km from the Orlagh estate in Knocklyon :)
    yes and on googledotcom it says 19kms! how did you guess considering the url couldn't be posted?
    I live in the estate directly north of it and I have worked in the IFSC in the past (and I'm still working on the quays).
    so you must be fit along with Viktor; I'll give it a go past the winter being migraine prone (that's what I want for Christmas from Sante for a long time). what estate is that?
    Orlagh to the IFSC, I would recommend Ballycullen Road to Firhouse Road, onto the Templeogue Bridge, right onto the N81/Templeogue road, and then just stick with that road all the way to Dame Street. Then right onto Dame Street, onto O'Connell Bridge and right onto the quays down to the IFSC.
    Most journey planners seem to recommend going down through Harold's Cross towards Christchurch - but the actual difference in distance is only around 100m and it has more troublesome junctions, lanes and bus stops than the N81.

Time getting in for a new cyclist is as Victor says. You functionally limited however to a journey time of around 30 minutes no matter how fit you are - you have to stop at lights which add 5-10 minutes onto the journey depending on how lucky you are that day. Fastest run I did from Ballycullen to the IFSC was in the order of 22 minutes, on an early morning sometime between Xmas and New Year where I had perfect weather, no traffic and short light sequences at most junctions. A typical day is always in the order of 30 minutes.

If you drove at 6am, you will make it in around 25 minutes. The roads are dead at that time. The 15 and 15B bus terminii are a five minute walk from the front gate of Orlagh. Journey time to the IFSC @ 7:30 on a normal day (i.e. during winter when schools are active) is around 90 minutes. At 7am, journey time is about 65 minutes.

useful info Seamus.
    thank you.

Victor would it therefore be safe to assume that in ordinary circumstances if it should take 45 minutes bicycling it to the IFSC then driving should be faster or worse if one commences at 6:00am?

Did you take longer the first time round to go from your residence to work or was it like driving the car for the first time?
    I live in Rathmines, so have never made that journey.

At 6am, the car journey would be quite quick, but that is assuming you have a few thousand euros a year for parking (and fuel, etc.). Time of day wouldn't make a huge change to the cycling journey time - level of fitness would be a more important factor.

Victor wrote: »
    I live in Rathmines, so have never made that journey.

At 6am, the car journey would be quite quick, but that is assuming you have a few thousand euros a year for parking (and fuel, etc.). Time of day wouldn't make a huge change to the cycling journey time - level of fitness would be a more important factor.

how much to buy a little car and what sort of taxes would be paid out along with expenses?
    totally agree on the level of fitness.

could anyone advise on how to get from charlotte quay to the ifsc please?

• Advertisement

could anyone advise on how to get from charlotte quay to the ifsc please?
    Seriously?

http://maps.google.ie

It's a 5/10 minute walk. Through Grand Canal Quay, across the James Joyce Bridge, and you're in the IFSC.

Seriously?

It's a 5/10 minute walk. Through Grand Canal Quay, across the James Joyce Bridge, and you're in the IFSC.

tried "communting to IFSC from charlotte quay" and got loads of home.ie listings
    thank you

tried "communting to IFSC from charlotte quay" and got loads of home.ie listings
    thank you

Use google maps get directions facility.

how much to buy a little car and what sort of taxes would be paid out along with expenses?
    totally agree on the level of fitness.
    http://www.theaa.ie/AA/Motoring-advice/Cost-of-motoring.aspx

Advertisement