Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2001: A Space Odyssey back in the cinema!

Options
  • 02-12-2014 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭

I saw that in my local cinema here in Galway (eye cinema) that they are showing 2001, which I have never seen on the big screen. Score!

Has there been a nationwide re-release of this and is it a a new remastered version for modern screens/audio setup?

A few of my mates have not seen it who will be coming, I'm kind of jealous of them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭cml387

Yes, heard this on "BBC radio's flagship film review program".
    Info

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

BFI IMAX in London are showing Blade Runner.

I like the idea of classic movies being screened in cinemas, I think odeon or omniplex should start a nationwide screening of the best classic movies once a week or month, similar to their 'unseen' screenings. I'd say the audiences during them would be a lot better than the usual kunts the cinema seems to attract too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It's a remastered digital version, and is getting a relatively wide UK and Irish release.

Having seen it twice in 70mm though I think I'll be skipping this one!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

The lighthouse cinema in Dublin apparently had a Stanley Kubrick season where they showed, or are still showing(?), all his best movies.

Edit: lmao they're also showing Die hard and Home Alone!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭blue note

I'm going to see it in the IFI later :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭dave13

Seen it last Friday in the IFI, never really appreciated the sound fully in the movie until seeing it on the big screen.
    Funny how it required an intermission when it's 2hrs 20 mins, seems brisk by today's standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Blade Runner too, well looking forward to seeing these films this month.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

I went to see it last Friday in the Lighthouse cinema, was absolutely epic !!

The sound was incredible. Glad i went.

Went to see The Shining on Halloween night also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Saw it on 70MM in the IFI a few years back. Great sound, the headache afterwards was worth it tbh!

I'll be going back to watch it again on this release because you can never really have enough 2001. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Went last night, it was fricking great. I beamed with delight through half of it and sat in utter absorption for the rest of it.

Also I was with someone who hadn't seen it before, they enjoyed it even though they admitted to not liking sci fi much. What was interesting was their opinion on how drawn out they felt most of the scenes were. Also they loved the way that the many references that they had seen over the years to the movie revealed themselves in a very satisfying way.

For me the length of many of the scenes highlights how carefully and deliberately activities have to be done in space to get the job done safely and properly very effectively. The tension in the EVA scenes with the heavy breathing is just exquisite. Also the dawn of man scenes have this deliberate lengthiness to exacerbate the eons of not much happening, and the cut of the bone to the orbital craft is inspired as a timely fast forward.

If you never have seen it on the big screen just go!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

I saw that in my local cinema here in Galway (eye cinema) that they are showing 2001, which I have never seen on the big screen. Score!

Has there been a nationwide re-release of this and is it a a new remastered version for modern screens/audio setup?

A few of my mates have not seen it who will be coming, I'm kind of jealous of them.

Any coincidence that this is being shown soon after the release of Interstellar, when it's still in the public zeitgeist?

The trailer too ends with a quote from Christopher Nolan himself and it was shown before Interstellar in the Lighthouse. They definitely knew what they were doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

Interstellar is not a worthy successor to 2001, not by a long shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Anyone know if its playing in any Cork cinemas?
    Can't see anything on Gate or Omniplex websites

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

Anyone know if its playing in any Cork cinemas?
    Can't see anything on Gate or Omniplex websites

It was the closing film to the Film Festival a couple of weeks ago in the Oprah House. It looked magnificent.

Doesn't look like the Omniplex are playing it either, so doesn't look like anywhere in Cork is showing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

ror_74 wrote: »
    Interstellar is not a worthy successor to 2001, not by a long shot.

Its not remotely like it, "Contact" is probably the closest I've seen to 2001.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,304 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

when was Blade Runner on?

Just........glorious.

A sight to behold on the big screen and those long moments of silences are incredible, it's like it grabs your head by the ears and you can't look away. My favourite space flick became even better seeing it on a big screen for the first time and full-on sound system.

Brought the GF along and she loved it

Saw it yesterday at the Lighthouse and there were black bars on the top and bottom of the image. Was it the same case for anyone else?

It dawned on me that the black screen during the 2 musical sequences also represents the monolith which if intentional is kind of ingenious. :)

Yea, had black bars at my showing too though I forgot about them pretty much immediately until at some point I went "Oh yea, it's letterboxed...." and then promptly forgot about it again :pac:

I forgot about the intermission section too.

• Advertisement

Made it feel like I was watching it on a giant TV instead of a cinema screen though. Usually when I see films in Lighthouse the 2.35:1 trailers are letterboxed but then the curtains open and the film takes up the whole screen. Didn't ruin the experience but I did find it a bit odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Weirdly the adverts were letterboxed but in the beginning the black monolith (nice, I see what you did there e_e) music bit they opened the curtains really slowly so that it was barley perceptible but by the time it finished the screen was fully open. Cool touch by the cinema.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭ronano

Anyone who saw it in cineworld, were there trailers before hand of 20 minutes or did it start bang on time?

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭bkrangle

ronano wrote: »
    Anyone who saw it in cineworld, were there trailers before hand of 20 minutes or did it start bang on time?

There were trailers........which were all for kid's films strangely enough

Advertisement