Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Terminator Genisys

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

pah wrote: »
    but how badly did the expendables 3 leak affect those figures I wonder

Good point.
    But that leak was such a strange one. The mass opinion of those who downloaded it said it was a really bad film. It's like in turn those opinions stopped most people from seeing it in the cinema :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

ps3lover wrote: »
    Didn't seem to help the Robocop or Total Recall remakes, both of which bombed.
    Even Freddy Vs Jason did better than Alien Vs Predator in the US, it cost less to boot.

I think you need to take my entire post in context. Immediately before the bit you quoted, I said studios don't seem to have copped on that watering down the rating does not necessarily make for better returns. Remakes, IMO, are the biggest offenders in this regard. Robocop, for example, was an enjoyable enough remake but it was watered down, teen friendly fluff. I also said there are many factors that effect the money movie make. Lowering the rating is just one. I'm sure it seems like a no-brainer to the Hollywood big wigs that lowering the rating gives them a bigger audience but they end up making generic sh*te that won't engage that audience fully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,489 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

Sounds like it will be utter ****e. Not surprised at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

Sounds absolutely awful. Is is a remake? Because
    changing Sarah Connor's past
    just messes everything up.

Just look at those young clean faces, they don't look like they are in the middle of a war. Another teeny movie to try and get the kids into the franchise. Ugh, feel like throwing up

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

That's it, I'm out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

That sounds absolutely atrocious.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

That's the first photo-shoot I've seen Matt Smith in since his days as The Doctor, it looks very wrong to see him in clothes other than a bow-tie and tweed jacket!

As to the meat of that article? It really does sound pretty woeful at first blush, the airbrushed cover photos do nothing to assuage the sense that this will be a bloodless, bland PG-13 affair, desperately trying to snatch that coveted teen market while riffing on a peoples' nostalgia. It'll take a hell of a trailer to persuade me to think this will be anything but garbage.

And once more folks, remember: we're getting these fun PG-13 nostalgia plows instead of The Sarah Connor Chronicles Series 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

Yet again Hollywood stomps all over my childhood with REmakes, REboot's and going by what will be caused by that article, REgurgitation!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

Jaysus looks awful.

This is the main reason I gave up going to the cinema a long time ago.

Give me a classic movie from my DVD collection any day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

They look like they smelt a really awful fart the photographer just made, with Jai being particularly disgusted.
    EMILIA-JAI-EW-1336.jpg

So it sounds pretty much like a reboot then with Arnie to get the original fans onboard.

I'm guessing the trailer is coming soon, it would want to have something spectacular to carry that dangerous switching of Sarah's backstory which I think at first glance sounds too extreme giving how much fans value the Terminator universe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

pixelburp wrote: »
    That's the first photo-shoot I've seen Matt Smith in since his days as The Doctor, it looks very wrong to see him in clothes other than a bow-tie and tweed jacket!

As to the meat of that article? It really does sound pretty woeful at first blush, the airbrushed cover photos do nothing to assuage the sense that this will be a bloodless, bland PG-13 affair, desperately trying to snatch that coveted teen market while riffing on a peoples' nostalgia. It'll take a hell of a trailer to persuade me to think this will be anything but garbage.

And once more folks, remember: we're getting these fun PG-13 nostalgia plows instead of The Sarah Connor Chronicles Series 2.
    +1!
    We need to vote with our feet and be quite vocal as to why.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,237 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

GAAman wrote: »
    Yet again Hollywood stomps all over my childhood with REmakes, REboot's and going by what will be caused by that article, REgurgitation!

Terminator to me ended after the second film once Cameron left .
    This new film sounds like complete tripe.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭ps3lover

Vote with your wallets, don't bother going to see it if you think it's looks terrible. I avoided Robocop and The Expendables 3 this year mainly due to the 12A rating.
    Problem is, no matter how many times these Pg13 movies under perform, they don't seem to learn the lesson and keep toning stuff down.
    The producers of Ouija where going on about making The Conjuring money with their PG13 rating. Yet it looks like it won't make as much in its entire run as the R rated Annabelle did opening weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

ps3lover wrote: »
    Vote with your wallets, don't bother going to see it if you think it's looks terrible. I avoided Robocop and The Expendables 3 this year mainly due to the 12A rating.
    Problem is, no matter how many times these Pg13 movies under perform, they don't seem to learn the lesson and keep toning stuff down.
    The producers of Ouija where going on about making The Conjuring money with their PG13 rating. Yet it looks like it won't make as much in its entire run as the R rated Annabelle did opening weekend.

Why would they ?

Bottom line it makes money - they don't care if it's terrible and ruining the original story.

As for the new Terminator reboot, agreed it looks absolutely dire, but it's not destroying memories or the two originals, those films are untouched and still great , T3 or T4 haven't tarnished them nor will this trilogy of shíte ..

And the 1st clip is rumoured to be released with Interstellar ...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Jumboman

They have just released a new pic of arnie as the Terminator.

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2014/10/30/terminator-genisys-cover-story/

Guardian_612x381.jpg

There's a few new promo images released now too. More bland shots. They literally look like the cast were trying on the suits for the first time and someone thought it'd be a good idea to just do a photoshoot in a car park. "Sure we can airbrush it to look slick & cool for the kids".

:D Link in the previous post ^

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

A fairly disfigured terminator, maybe they'll write a fire into the script to explain it away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

What in the thundering fuck is going on?

Is there no conscience any more?

Fucks sake.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

i think people may be overreacting a bit. All the images except the Arnold one are from an EW photoshoot, most likely taken during costume tests. The film won't look like this.

• Advertisement

Yeah but come on ! Sara Connor being brought up by a f*cking TERMINATOR ???

calling him pops !!! ???

Nah ..... not interested ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

the_monkey wrote: »
    Yeah but come on ! Sara Connor being brought up by a f*cking TERMINATOR ???

Why not? That's what she planned for John at one point in T2.

It's a reboot, they shouldn't just remake the original. Having Sarah Connor start as the ditzy secretary in a reboot is a bit pointless, we all know she's going to end up a bad-ass.

And Arnold is 67- if he's in it, they have to explain why the Terminator he plays has been in our time for 30 years.

Deciding to boycott a film based on a photo shoot may be the dumbest thing that I have ever heard.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

i think people may be overreacting a bit. All the images except the Arnold one are from an EW photoshoot, most likely taken during costume tests. The film won't look like this.

I imagine few would mistake the shots for final material, but if they were an attempt to get fans or well-wishers onboard, I'd argue they've done the opposite - even if they are just costume tests. Besides, my real bugbear is that the plot just sounds like utter gubbins & Jai Courtney has about as much screen presence & charisma as a plank of wood :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

Dumb as the reactions may be it was equally dumb doing a first photoshoot like that, with ew of all publications to boot too. They were basically asking for a backlash and got one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

The photos were taken by EW’s staff photographer. Did anyone see their recent Interstellar photo shoot?

Insterstellar-Open.jpg

Or how bad Quicksilver looked when originally revealed in Empire? Or Dredd?

2671.jpg

Besides, my real bugbear is that the plot just sounds like utter gubbins

The plot of the original was pretty dull and unoriginal - it was the execution which was brilliant.

The change to Sarah sounds alright. I prefer that they are trying to do something original rather than a blow by blow rehash of the same story. The photos are terrible though and as the first glimpse of the reboot, they do nothing to inspire confidence that this will be anything more than a limp, PG-13 action movie.

I remember when I first saw the original (and the sequel), it was horrifying. The tension of this killing machine relentlessly hunting you, deliberately, clinically, mercilessly. This looks like it's already on the road to doing what 2013 Robocop did to 1980's Robocop. It may yet surprise but it's a bad first step by the marketing team.

With Arnie's inclusion too, how are they going to portray the 'new' Terminator sent back in time? It should have been a clean slate but instead it's all going to be in Arnie's shadow. What's the bets there'll be some twist that this is an alternate timeline spun off from the original movies that explains why we have the "Arnie" model and why Sarah was raised so differently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

The plot of the original was pretty dull and unoriginal - it was the execution which was brilliant.

Being raised by terminators is a ****ing terrible idea, almost as bad as the Terminator with the human heart.

It'll be ****ing terrible, they should have continued the Chronicles

• Advertisement

Each to their own, but some disillusionment going on here ..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭Seanachai

I imagine few would mistake the shots for final material, but if they were an attempt to get fans or well-wishers onboard, I'd argue they've done the opposite - even if they are just costume tests. Besides, my real bugbear is that the plot just sounds like utter gubbins & Jai Courtney has about as much screen presence & charisma as a plank of wood :D

Jai Courtney is a dreadful actor, the sulky face scrunch in the promo shot sums him up pretty well. He's physique and demenaour just doesn't match the Kyle Reese character, he's too chunky and doesn't come across as being wily enough. I'd have more faith in Emilia Clarke pulling off Sarah Connor but the casting just isn't good. The casting for the new star wars films is very weak too.

Seanachai wrote: »
    The casting for the new star wars films is kind of weak too.
    I agree about Jai Courtney, but how can you say that about Star Wars when we don’t even know who those actors are playing yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

I agree about Jai Courtney, but how can you say that about Star Wars when we don’t even know who those actors are playing yet?

Because modern Hollywood has piss poor form when it comes to well established franchises

It's not the characters that they're playing, it's the fact that they're in it at all! I'm talking about Domhnall Gleeson in particular. If Jai Courtney was playing an undisclosed character I still wouldn't want him in it. There's some great young actors out there like Jack O'Connell, but there just seems to be a culture of choosing weak but attractive people instead to fill the roles.

Look at the tv shows like The 100 & Marvels agents of shield, they're just glossy pap with no grit, depth or decent storyline, it's actually draining to watch them when it should be drawing you in. The new Constantine show seems good though but that's probably because they cast a lead who looks like he's actually lived a little.

It's not the characters that they're playing, it's the fact that they're in it at all!

Yeah, original star wars used seasoned actors like Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher!

• Advertisement

Not disagreeing there, but this latest plot sounds like a retread too far, a reboot by any other name for a franchise that has no business being further strung out, having far mutated from its grungy, low-budget origins. Heck, The Terminator was a fuppin' horror movie imo, and we're a long way from that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Initially I was thinking WTF, but it sounds like they're going to attempt a "canon" reboot like Abrams's Star Trek; i.e. the movie opens with the original timeline, but then somebody goes back or whatever and alters the timeline.

Terminator canon allows the timeline to be changed (even in T2, they changed it), so it's not a million miles out there.

I'll wait for a trailer. I'm not why the insistence on bringing Arnie back though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

seamus wrote: »
    Terminator canon allows the timeline to be changed (even in T2, they changed it), so it's not a million miles out there.

"You did not prevent judgement day, you only postponed it" :(:rolleyes:

Yeah, original star wars used seasoned actors like Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher!

Don't have any issues with newcomers or even people who have never acted before. Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher had light and shade in them whereas some of the choices in recent films are people who don't have any gravitas at all. They're just pretty and emptyheaded and do the same twilight style of coolness and pouting.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Jumboman

Jumboman wrote: »
    They have just released a new pic of arnie as the Terminator.

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2014/10/30/terminator-genisys-cover-story/

Guardian_612x381.jpg

Just looking at the gun arnie is holding in the picture its a big step down from the gun he had in Terminator 2. It looks like something he got out of a toy shop.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,506 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Insterstellar-Open.jpg

Or how bad Quicksilver looked when originally revealed in Empire? Or Dredd?

Jeez, the make up and lighting/manipulation. Is it from an episode of Thunderbirds?

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭scouttio

Jai Courtney is a dreadful actor, the sulky face scrunch in the promo shot sums him up pretty well. He's physique and demenaour just doesn't match the Kyle Reese character, he's too chunky and doesn't come across as being wily enough. I'd have more faith in Emilia Clarke pulling off Sarah Connor but the casting just isn't good. The casting for the new star wars films is very weak too.

Not sure I'd agree with that at all. I dont mean to take it off topic but star wars has picked up a great cast full of promising young actors and old heads with previous....oh and Andy Serkis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Sarah Connor isn’t the innocent she was when Linda Hamilton first sported feathered hair and acid-washed jeans in the role. Nor is she Hamilton’s steely zero body-fat warrior in 1991’s T2. Rather, the mother of humanity’s messiah was orphaned by a Terminator at age 9. Since then, she’s been raised by (brace yourself) Schwarzenegger’s Terminator—an older T-800 she calls “Pops”—who is programmed to guard rather than to kill.

24969-1191763_o.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

Hold on a second there ... Max Von Sydow, Andy Serkis, Gwendoline Christie, Oscar Isaac, Lupita Nyong'o?

Not to mention Harrison Ford and the rest of the old crew?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

This sounds like a train wreck. Might have to go see it.

Hold on a second there ... Max Von Sydow, Andy Serkis, Gwendoline Christie, Oscar Isaac, Lupita Nyong'o?

Not to mention Harrison Ford and the rest of the old crew?

I was talking about the younger cast, I think it's a given that the veterans will perform well.

I was talking about the younger cast, I think it's a given that the veterans will perform well.

Going by Harrison Ford's CV, that's a bit of a wild assumption, he has sleepwalked through every recent performance. In fact he's the one I'm most concerned about, not the newcomers; not everyone's a Jake Lloyd in waiting, and having seen Attack the Block (great movie btw, people should see it), I'm confident the likes of John Boyega can carry this film.

While it's still very early doors, considering how much of a cultural bomb the prequels were, you can guarantee that spectre has been hovering over every decision the production has made, including the casting which imo has been solid in all age brackets.

edit: feels weird talking Star Wars in the Terminator thread :confused: haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Angel Knightess

Another rehash. Hollywood thinks that if it has a brand, a younger cast, some acting legends and some over the top cgi it'll be great. How about a plot? That goes for terminator and star wars.

Hollywood thinks that if it has a brand, a younger cast, some acting legends and some over the top cgi it'll be great.

The biggest movie of the year was Transformers, and that entire series has been an insult to the intelligence of the whole human species. Hollywood doesn't care about great, just cash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

Cameron is quite literally spinning in his submersible.

I'm gobsmacked, I wrote and rewrote paragraphs about reboots, how Sarah Connor Chronicles is on par with T1 and T2, story directions and went back and deleted them all and instead I'll just leave you with this:

cameronlaugh2prvs.gif

• Advertisement
Advertisement