Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

After years of commitment; struggling to get a decent increase in salary

Options
  • 12-03-2014 1:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I have been employed as a Sales & Marketing Executive for the past 5.5 years in a thrifying business in Killarney town. Over the years; obviously I was given more tasks even a sister company to market it and deal with suppliers and clients. Over the years I became the one of the main managers who worked very closely with the GM; dealing and solving issues within the daily operations of the business & acting as a duty manager. Which I really did mind as I was hoping to prove my commitment to the company. I like my job and believe they was mutual respect. So last November I decided to approach the subject of an increase in my salary.
    I asked the GM; and he suggested a 5k increase to discuss with the M.D; in turn the M.D verbally said to GM; that yes I was entitled to an increase but would need to do a few things for him which he never explained any further. January; the GM went to MD; and he said he was surprised that I was asking again that he has a tendency of putting items on the longer finger; anyhow he briefly told me that he knows I am looking for an increase & needs to think about it as another member of staff was going off on maternity leave; to get his head around things... He asked me to get as much work done before she went off on maternity leave as I would be need to assist in the her leave until they get someone to replace her. The lady left the company early Feb and I work up to 1.5hrs covering her role.
    So next thing I was in a meeting with our financial person just as the meeting was concluding he informed me that going forward he would be dealing with my increase; (this was late Jan) and that he was going to suggest increments! And was I adamant about getting the 5K
    So last week I had to contact the finance person (as he hasn’t met with me since late Jan) I requested a meeting to conclude my increase and that I would like a job description of my role.
    Now I have become extremely emotional that it has taken so long and really feel disrespected and that I am begging an increase.
    So we met last week and we worked through a job descriptions which basically was everything that I do but when I said Manager on Duty; he said he would have to see about that. The Job Description would be completed by this week and finalise my salary. He should me an outline that the 5k would be broken down to between an increase in basic and increments which would be 5 hard increments & 5 soft increments.

Now my main issue is the increments; when I first took the job it was stated a bonus of 2k if I reached X, that never materialised; as the target was unattainable.
    Other managers in this company had targets with bonus; once 2008 came they were never spoken about again.
    Another staff member who worked under this gentleman after 5 years of asking for her achieved bonus; only got them when another person took on his role. So from past expierences its seems these increments would never materialise.

How can I argue my point of the 5k increase in basic and forgo the increments. I did state that they were unattainable as these we very sale orientated targets and my current position in the company is not only S&M...
    Any suggestions would be appreciate; I find it hard to battle with higher management hence not asking for an increae in 5 years and I think they know that.
    Once he gives me the outline; can I ask for time to think about it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated….

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,710 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Look for a better job in another company?

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭dove2011

Look for a better job in another company?

thanks but I do like my jobs & kerry jobs are very hard to come by...

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I can understand how you are feeling. After working for them for 5 years and taking on all additional tasks asked they should be paying you for this work.

At this stage I would do the following:

Get together as much information as possible about the company in regards to it's financial position. See if you find out it they are paying tax/prsi ect on time to the tax office. Find out it the bank loans, overdrafts ect are in order.
    If you business is a cash one is your boss telling the tax man of every payment they are getting.
    See if you can find out the salary of the Md and financial guy.
    Also find out things about there personal life that they would not like you or other people in the place to know about. If one of them is cheating on this wife, is gambling or is chatting up a young woman in work his wife might not like to hear this.
    Be willing to work late and take photo copies of any information you find out.
    Just be careful doing this.

After you do the above I would ask for a meeting with the MD and the finance manager.
    I would remind them of what work/projects you have done in the past for them, what work you do each day and the extra tasks you have taken on since starting in the company 5 years ago.
    I would mention to them that you first asked for a pay increase last Nov of €5k and were promised this on such a date.

I would then tell them some of the information that you have found out ie well John if the company can afford to pay you x amount they can give me €5k.
    Or mention something like how are things between you and Mary in accounts and how is your wife at the moment?
    Better still tell them I heard that company x had a revenue audit recently if you know they are not declaring all the company income.

After this I would say to them that you are not willing to accept increments for targets that you will be unable to achieve due to the nature of your job.
    Tell them I know you will need to chat about this so I will met you both again on such a date.

If they keep mucking you around after this I would ring in sick and get a sick cert for stress for a few weeks. When your gone they will have to pick up your work load and deal with your work on a day to day basis.
    I would start to look for another job at that stage because if they want you to stay there they need to pay you more for the job you are doing.
    If you got offered another job it would put you in a better position.
    Also if you go for interviews do not let the other companies know you present salary - just see what they would offer to you for changing your job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

lady 213 wrote: »

At this stage I would do the following:

Get together as much information as possible...

This is awful advice. You are suggesting that the OP blackmail his manager into giving him a raise?!?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭dove2011

nibtrix wrote: »
    This is awful advice. You are suggesting that the OP blackmail his manager into giving him a raise?!?!?

Yes I was shocked reading what this person is suggestion but look at the time the person posted.

Deadline for preparation is tomorrow....
    Have some financial achievements outlined but not all... Oh wish me luck

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

It's almost become an unwritten law in the jobs market at least in my industry.
    You will only get increments staying. Only way to get a jump is moving.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thejaguar

This article might be useful - basically understand what your alternatives are - one of which is to negotiate for something other than money.

http://blogs.hbr.org/2012/04/how-to-negotiate-your-next-sal/

And if you really do like the job, in the short term it might be worthwhile to negotiate hard on the job description ahead of the money this time around. The job description itself can go a long way to bench marking your pay against others in your sector.

Advertisement