Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Liquidator pay Redundancy

Options
  • 09-03-2014 9:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭

I am working for a small Company that is now having major problems paying their Suppliers and more worringly paying the wages, with longer delays each month end. I feel its only a matter of time until one supplier brings them to court and then we can expect a liquidator to arrive. Now I understand the liquidator will pay staff any outstanding wages but will he pay Redundancy too ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

They should but don't generally. You have to bear in mind it's not normally the liquidator that is liable for any actions as technically they're an agent of the (reluctant) company, and as such it's the company that has liability.

You may be able to claim certain amounts from social welfare.

You're also lower down the scale than the revenue I believe, I'm open to correction.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,212 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

The firm i worked for went into liquidation, it was the liquidators which handle the claim for us for back pay/redundancy, the money comes from the government redundancy scheme not the liquidator,we had to sign forms supplied by liquidator. i must say everything went smoothly and we all got i redundancy money fairly quickly ,back pay/Holiday pay took longer because this is taxable.

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    The firm i worked for went into liquidation, it was the liquidators which handle the claim for us for back pay/redundancy, the money comes from the government redundancy scheme not the liquidator,we had to sign forms supplied by liquidator. i must say everything went smoothly and we all got i redundancy money fairly quickly ,back pay/Holiday pay took longer because this is taxable.

When was this? Unfortunately the amount the government used to give has been significantly reduced. That said, it's still possible to claim it from the social.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,212 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Bepolite wrote: »
    When was this? Unfortunately the amount the government used to give has been significantly reduced. That said, it's still possible to claim it from the social.

I was made redundant September 2013, there is a max limit the government will pay out, cant remember the amount.

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    I was made redundant September 2013, there is a max limit the government will pay out, cant remember the amount.

Sorry to hear, I hope you're sorted now. I thought it was a max percentage but I'm open to correction. This is somewhat of a theoretical as I don;t want to alarm the OP as there are other options if the liquidator doesn't play ball.

Glad to hear yours was decent enough.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

The amount of redundancy is still the same. Roughly two weeks for each year that you worked plus one week on top.
    What was reduced was the amount an employer could claim back from the State.
    It went from 60% to 15% to 0%.
    Heres a redundancy calculator so you can work out how much you ight be due.
    Redundacy is not subject to tax so its your gross figure you factoring in.
    https://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/secure/RedundancyCalculator.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

If there is enough in the fund after the tax man is paid out should the liquidator not pay the employees pay/redundancy next .
    6 months an employee can be left waiting for his pay and 2 months for his redundancy.
    Or does the money sit in the liquidators account making interest.

Advertisement