Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suit and scarf

Options
  • 14-12-2013 2:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭

Night out on Friday and have decided to 'dress up' for it somewhat.

I have decided to wear a suit (without tie) and am thinking about wearing a scarf with it too.

What do people think of this look? How should I tie the scarf?

I've seen it work well but not sure of having a tied scarf on me all night while indoors either.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

What, you mean like a wool scarf? Or a cravat? Definitely take the scarf off if you are indoors. Not only will you be too hot, but you'll look like you're constantly about to leave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭SPM1959

A wool scarf.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

SPM1959 wrote: »
    Night out on Friday and have decided to 'dress up' for it somewhat.

I have decided to wear a suit (without tie) and am thinking about wearing a scarf with it too.

What do people think of this look? How should I tie the scarf?

I've seen it work well but not sure of having a tied scarf on me all night while indoors either.

Unless there's somewhere to put it, you'll have to hang on to the scarf for the night, which is a small bit of a headache.

I wouldn't bother unless it gets seriously cold, and apparently it's not that likely to be.

Nobody is going to remember a scarf, usually.

You'd be better off getting a nice white shirt with a slightly higher / stiffer collar, and wear with a dark / navy suit. That's a good look if you aren't wearing a tie:

not the best example but you know what I mean:
    article-0-190128CC000005DC-695_306x619.jpg

Or:
    350x700px-LL-88675264_a_t100_ford.jpeg

Then you won't want the scarf. You'll need to unbutton one more button than normal however. Otherwise you'll look like a presidential candidate on the campaign trail.

If it were me though, I'd wear a tie. You've got so much more potential to look awesome if you've got a nice tie on. If you really don't want the tie, then I urge you greatly to get some kind of coloured pocket square and chuck it into your suit top pocket. It'll add a splash of awesomeness and break up the monotony of the suit.

Add some nicely coloured socks and you'll be away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭SPM1959

I like the white shirt look. Are there any particular brands you would recommend?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nicowa

I like the white shirt look. Are there any particular brands you would recommend?

I don't know about brand, but the crisper and whiter the better usually. Though its probably not a look for the red of hair and pale of face... :)

Depends on your budget. Reiss do shirts with nice collars to wear like this, about 80 - 90 euro I think. I have a light blue one and its perfect for this kind of look.

Advertisement