Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inquiry set up into taped phone calls at Garda stations

Options
  • 25-03-2014 6:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭

Yet another controversy emerging.
    The Government has set up a Commission of Investigation to examine the widespread recording of phone calls at Garda stations across the State.

The Taoiseach Enda Kenny was made aware of the revelations at the weekend and briefed the Cabinet today. A Government statement issued after the meeting this afternoon said the implications of the matter were “ potentially of such gravity that the Government has decided to set up a statutory Commission of Investigation into this matter of significant public concern.”

The news came only hours after Garda Commissioner Martin Callinan resigned over the continuing controversy surrounding the squashing of penalty points and the treatment of the Garda whistleblowers who highlighted the practice.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/inquiry-set-up-into-taped-phone-calls-at-garda-stations-1.1737610

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Shady Tady

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Shady Tady wrote: »
    Old news!

Source? Links?

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Hitchroun

Iwannahurl wrote: »

Its been going on since the 1980's.

I find it very hard to believe that the timing of this "Discovery" was not politically motivated to distract from Shatter at this time.

I'm uncertain as to why this is actually an issue. Why shouldn't these calls be recorded?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Hitchroun wrote: »

I'm uncertain as to why this is actually an issue. Why shouldn't these calls be recorded?

My thoughts exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

I agree that all calls between the public and AGS be recorded. The problem here now is probably the Data Commissioner. Am i correct in thinking that if someone is being recorded by an audio means that both parties have to be aware of it?

Just think of those announcements when we ring credit card companies etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭sopretty

According to Noonan, there are two separate issues.
    1. That calls are being recorded in the first place
    2. That extremely sensitive information was recorded on one particular tape in relation to one case, details of which should soon emerge. There are 2,400 other tapes.

Reason No. 2 is the reason it's considered so important now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,828 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

The problem is that people are not being informed that they are being recorded. The only issues i have/can see are:

1: The calls cannot be used as evidence
    2: They would mostly be used against the Gardaí (internally)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,838 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I will happily be corrected but as far as I am aware there is a requirement in irish law that you need to ask or make people aware that a phone conversation is being recorded ? You cannot just record someone's phone conversation and or have it subsequently submitted as evidence also ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,464 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

This could interfere with a significant number of court cases. Amazing it was not picked up on last year when it was first raised.

Significant extract from RTÉ report on this last year:
    Oireachtas Retort ‏@Oireachtas_RX 2m

Extract from RTÉ report in November on 'new evidence' in Ian Bailey's case against the gardaí http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/1125/488995-new-material-in-ian-bailey-high-court-case/ … pic.twitter.com/2MUuV0MLrQ

https://twitter.com/Oireachtas_RX/status/448614226420985856

BjnMQxeCcAADU8H.png:large

Serious problem here as well in that gardai were not aware that they were being recorded.

In what other job would this be considered OK?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,828 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I believe that it was only originally intended for the station to go back over the call to see if something important was missed during the conversation. But i doubt it was intended to be used as evidence in a case, as anyone with the basic understanding of electronic recording would know that both parties have to be aware of, and agree to, being recorded. If it has ever been used as deciding evidence in any case, then there are serious problems for the state with regards to convictions and people who can bring wrongful conviction cases against the state, but i seriously doubt that a case would have been won or lost on a recording of the call to the station.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

I always assumed and hoped that all phone calls would be recorded when calling a garda station. I dont understand why they wouldnt be.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,464 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Skatedude wrote: »
    I always assumed and hoped that all phone calls would be recorded when calling a garda station. I dont understand why they wouldnt be.

Phones calls at all divisional Gardai HQ were taped

Although their initial purpose was to record bomb threats, emergency calls and messages for gardai the devices have remained in place since the 1980s.

“Over the years many forgot that they existed but at some stations the tapes were stored and on occasions checked for specific reasons.”

Mr Callinan’s letter to the Department of Justice details that the conversations of journalists seeking information, members of the gardaí and a witness in a criminal investigation had been recorded.

This is obviously a huge issue considering the repercussions it could have for court cases, especially when consent is required from one party for authorized recording to take place.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

There are 2 items there that grab my attention, they are 80's and tapes. Has anyone here ever tried looking/listening to a standard type audio/ video tape from that era that had been taped over numerous times?

I imagine that the recordings are inaudible and any scummer who thinks he has a ticket to freedom because of this has another thing coming.

Advertisement