Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Promotion with low salary increase

Options
  • 10-03-2014 7:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

I received a promotion in work a few weeks ago. So I got called into HR and they outlined the new benefits of my job etc. My salary was increased by 12% which was less than expected but I was ok with it. Recently I was talking to someone who started at the level that I've been promoted to and his salary is substantially more than what I've just been given. I put that down to his previous experience and didn't really think much of it. Now I've just found out that another colleague who was promoted also received a much larger salary increase than me and one of my other colleagues who wasn't promoted got his annual pay increase that is just slightly lower than what I'm getting at the new rate.

I don't think that a mistake has been made because my promotion was acknowledged during my pay review. I can't understand the reasoning behind it. I know the obvious answer here is to talk to HR but this is a relatively small company and I'm afraid of coming across as 'entitled' and I don't want to hurt my reputation. I also don't want to bring my colleagues into it because it's not their fault. I don't want to start drawing comparisons with others. What would be the best way to approach this situation without causing too much of a fuss? I'm a very non-confrontational person and the thought of having to address this is really stressing me out

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Hi all,

I received a promotion in work a few weeks ago. So I got called into HR and they outlined the new benefits of my job etc. My salary was increased by 12% which was less than expected but I was ok with it. Recently I was talking to someone who started at the level that I've been promoted to and his salary is substantially more than what I've just been given. I put that down to his previous experience and didn't really think much of it. Now I've just found out that another colleague who was promoted also received a much larger salary increase than me and one of my other colleagues who wasn't promoted got his annual pay increase that is just slightly lower than what I'm getting at the new rate.

I don't think that a mistake has been made because my promotion was acknowledged during my pay review. I can't understand the reasoning behind it. I know the obvious answer here is to talk to HR but this is a relatively small company and I'm afraid of coming across as 'entitled' and I don't want to hurt my reputation. I also don't want to bring my colleagues into it because it's not their fault. I don't want to start drawing comparisons with others. What would be the best way to approach this situation without causing too much of a fuss? I'm a very non-confrontational person and the thought of having to address this is really stressing me out

Stop beating yourself up on this..

1. Its none of your business what anyone else is getting paid.
    2. How do you know what the other person is really getting, I've seen lads wind things up no end spouting nonsense about their pay rises..
    3. Point one again !
    4. Any manager worth their salt will tell you to hit the road if you go in talking about other employees salary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

There's nothing to address though.
    You were offered a position, you were quoted a salary. You accepted that offer.
    Its entirely possible that these other employees negotiated better remuneration deals.
    You certainly can't go back in now trying to renegotiate.
    All you can do is do your best for at least 6 months and then go back in looking for a rise.
    A brother of mine haggles like a horse dealer over every job he's offered and its often very confrontational but he says they'll always try to screw you if they can. That's business.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

If you hadn't heard what the others are earning (or claiming to be earning), would you have been happy with the 12% increase? It sounds like a decent jump based on the details provided.

Would it be very easy for them to hire someone in at your new level on your current salary? Or conversely, would you easily get a role at the same level elsewhere earning what you think your colleagues are earning?

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Glinda

Congratulations on your promotion OP.

If there's one thing you can be sure of it is that people lie about what they are paid all the time.

It's the most common form of work-based spoofology. If you are happy with your salary and the promotion then I would leave it be and enjoy the fact that you are getting on and progressing at a time when lots of people are stuck in jobs that are well below their ability level due to companies being tight with resources.

Having said that there is something you can do here to make sure you maximise your chances in the future. Make sure you take credit for the work you do. Don't brag, but don't be too modest either. Keep a record of your achievements during the next six months or so and use this as ammunition in your next review. You are obviously doing well or you wouldn't have been promoted. Make sure next time you have a portfolio of evidence to back up your request for a pay rise - that makes it much easier for your manager to say yes.

In summary, don't fret: plot!

Advertisement