Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Amp head/cab matching

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

jimmybeige wrote: »
    The mystery of matching amp heads and cabs is a great one for me, but I am sure someone can clear it up. I have only owned combos until now, but am considering getting this 20w tube head http://www.thomann.de/ie/jet_city_amplification_jca20hv.htm

It says 16 ohms or 2 x 8 ohms. So what should I be looking for exactly, for example this one says 120watts/8ohm, 2x 60watts/16ohm: http://www.thomann.de/ie/harley_benton_g212_vintage.htm

Can someone explain, and what does the mono/stereo difference mean?

Thanks!

16 ohms into the cab from a single source or 8 ohms each from 2 sources simultaneously. A lot of heads have switchable ohms nowadays. If in doubt, buy the cab matching the head (what they advise) and ask Thomann or whoever your getting it off their advice on setup. Via email preferably so if you do as they said and cook it, they're responsible.
    Some amps are stereo. Vox Valvetronix for example. It just means you can use that cab with loads of amps. You can also (if you match impedances right) put 2 heads through the cab, switching with an ABY switch.
    I just re-read this and it's not very clear. Someone else might be able to explain better.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭jimmybeige

Ha thank you! Still a bit confused :D

Buy amp. Set to 16ohms. Buy cab. Set to 16ohms mono. Done. Don't worry about stereo setups or running two heads together. Looks a nice amp and at a nice price.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭jimmybeige

Cheers! Yea they are cool little amps and this model has less gain than their usual amps. Designed by Mike Soldano, great price!

jimmybeige wrote: »
    Cheers! Yea they are cool little amps and this model has less gain than their usual amps. Designed by Mike Soldano, great price!

Very tempting. I'm waiting for the euro to pick up a bit. Was going to buy a Vox AC15 but they've gone up €100 in the last year due to the weak currency.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

the jet city heads sound great, the clean is not very though if that's your thing.

i was drooling over this recently, which would be a lot more amp for your money....

http://www.jimismusicstore.ie/product_info.php?products_id=2108&osCsid=16dbf0cda0e6f65992932d42b1e494e2

• Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭-=al=-

il gatto wrote: »
    Very tempting. I'm waiting for the euro to pick up a bit. Was going to buy a Vox AC15 but they've gone up €100 in the last year due to the weak currency.

I was looking at cabs today and noticed the price of stuff is pretty nuts lately

Definitely wait for a big purchase, the euro is getting so shafted.

Advertisement