Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Picking up a guitar again for the first time in years

• 03-07-2015 9:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭

Bought myself some new strings and re-stringed a Takamine Semi-Acoustic I bought recently today.

Any tips or advice for someone getting back into it? Where should I begin? And what should I be playing?

I've seemingly forgotten EVERYTHING

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

If I "forgot" how to play, and had to start all over again, one change I would make would be to practice with a metronome as much as possible. Great timing is hard to achieve, and makes such a difference.

As well as that, depending on when you first learned, there is now an incredible resource available that will help hugely - the internet! Look up JustinGuitar, or similar. And if you can afford it, get proper lessons from a good teacher now and then.

Good luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,453 ✭✭✭Rigsby

And if you can afford it, get proper lessons from a good teacher now and then.

+1. The internet is great but can be a bit over whelming for someone trying to get started (again). A good teacher will get you on the straight and narrow. After that, by all means use the internet if you wish, but first get a teacher to point you in the right direction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭The Wild Bunch

Where's the best place to look for lessons?

Where's the best place to look for lessons?

http://www.adverts.ie/for-sale/q_guitar+lessons/

http://www.gumtree.ie/s-guitar+lessons/v1q0p1

Another option would be to check in music shops. Often there are notice boards with adverts offering lessons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

I haven't been in your situation but I still have some advice to offer.

In my opinion one of the best online resources is Justinguitar. I have learned nearly all the songs he has uploaded. There is also a beginner guide,which I didn't use but is supposed to be good.

Marty Schwartz is also okay. However I don't find him quite as good.

For tabs check out songsterr and ultimate guitar. This is all you need.

With the internet these days there really isn't a need to get real life lessons or buy music books unless you are the type who cannot self teach which in my opinion is essential to becoming a good guitarist.

It will probably take a while to get used to playing regularly again. I would recommend keeping your nails on your fretting hand short. You'd be surprised how long nails can affect your playing.. I always keep slightly longer nails on my picking hand as I don't always use a pick.

If I was you I would start by learning the chords and perfecting your timing. Work on your strumming patterns.
    Palm muting is an essential strumming technique so I would move on to that next. Then work on your finger picking when you have the basics down.. That should keep anyone going for a while.

Don't jump in to difficult song straight away either. Don't fall for songs like stairway to heaven until you have had a bit of practice:) Personally I think Neil Young songs are great because you can start with the chords and then advance your playing with all difficult strumming patterns and techniques he uses.

Good luck . Hope it comes back to you as you play.

• Advertisement

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    With the internet these days there really isn't a need to get real life lessons or buy music books unless you are the type who cannot self teach which in my opinion is essential to becoming a good guitarist.

Got to disagree with this. IMO a person will learn more from a good teacher in a week than in three or four months on his/her own. If you come across something you dont understand then you need someone to explain it in a different way. Only a "live" teacher can do this. The internet or books cant tell you if you are doing something wrong. The ideal thing IMO is to get lessons for a while, then go off and work on your own until you reach a point where you cant proceed, or you find yourself in a rut. Then go back and get a "kick start" from the teacher. Also if self teaching is essential to becoming a good guitarist, how come a lot of top artists had teacher/mentors ? One that springs to mind is Stevie Ray Vaughan's teacher/mentor Albert King. Vaughan has been quoted as saying how much he learned through King's teaching and guidance. You will find that most top musicians have studied with someone at some stage in their careers. :)

Rigsby wrote: »
    Got to disagree with this. IMO a person will learn more from a good teacher in a week than in three or four months on his/her own. If you come across something you dont understand then you need someone to explain it in a different way. Only a "live" teacher can do this. The internet or books cant tell you if you are doing something wrong. The ideal thing IMO is to get lessons for a while, then go off and work on your own until you reach a point where you cant proceed, or you find yourself in a rut. Then go back and get a "kick start" from the teacher. Also if self teaching is essential to becoming a good guitarist, how come a lot of top artists had teacher/mentors ? One that springs to mind is Stevie Ray Vaughan's teacher/mentor Albert King. Vaughan has been quoted as saying how much he learned through King's teaching and guidance. You will find that most top musicians have studied with someone at some stage in their careers. :)

I guess everyone is different really.
    You will also find that a lot of the greats are self taught.

I don't see how being able to self teach isn't an essential skill. Are you just supposed to keep getting lessons forever?

I personally think that everyone should have one lesson at least but once they have some of the basics learned there really is a plethora of resources online.
    Like i said in my first post , this only applies if you have the ability to do this.
    If you can't self teach then I would agree with you. No point going around in circles indefinitely.

I guess everyone is different really.
    You will also find that a lot of the greats are self taught.

I don't see how being able to self teach isn't an essential skill. Are you just supposed to keep getting lessons forever?

I personally think that everyone should have one lesson at least but once they have some of the basics learned there really is a plethora of resources online.
    Like i said in my first post , this only applies if you have the ability to do this.
    If you can't self teach then I would agree with you. No point going around in circles indefinitely.

Yes, that's the point....everyone is different and learn in different ways. At no point did I say that people should get lessons for ever. I was merely contesting your statement that just because of the internet, there is no need for lessons from a teacher. Of course you need to be able to do things on your own. A teacher does not just teach, but can also be a source of guidance and inspiration.

While the internet is no doubt a great resource the problem (especially for beginners) generally is an over abundance of "one off" lessons. There are very few where you start basic and chronologically move up the learning ladder. More often than not, a novice will go on You Tube, find a lesson that takes his fancy and go with that for a while. Trouble is that he is more than likely starting some where in the middle and when he tries to move on, he finds he does not understand what comes next. This is because he has not started at the beginning (probably because he does not know where that lies) and is trying to run before he can crawl. This results in a lot of "back pedaling" and time wasted. A good teacher will not only teach the necessary material, but will teach it from the ground up, and in a way where one lesson builds on what went before it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,107 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Bought myself some new strings and re-stringed a Takamine Semi-Acoustic I bought recently today.

Any tips or advice for someone getting back into it? Where should I begin? And what should I be playing?

I've seemingly forgotten EVERYTHING

Assuming you still remember how to play a few chords, pick a song you'd like to learn, find a youtube lesson for it, and learn it. Then repeat with another song and so on. As others have said, Justinguitar is very good if you want to learn a particular style (e.g. fingerpicking or blues).

Lads my fingers are f**king KILLING me

Anything I can use to harden the skin on the tips?

In bits here

• Advertisement

Not really I'm afraid.
    Just keep playing and eventually they will toughen up.

Do you have a nylon string guitar to practice on as they are by far easier on the fingers. This is what I did when my fingers were too sore to play my acoustic guitar.

Not really I'm afraid.
    Just keep playing and eventually they will toughen up.

Do you have a nylon string guitar to practice on as they are by far easier on the fingers. This is what I did when my fingers were too sore to play my acoustic guitar.

The strings I bought in Waltons for the new guitar were 'Dunlop Acoustic' 80/20 Bronze Med Lt 11

Whatever that means! All I know is theyre super sore :(

But I shall persevere and play til I bleed!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

The only way to harden up fingers is to play more. It's a pain, but it works. Hell, I've been playing 16 years, and my fingers still hurt at times. Don't go for nylon strings. They're not worth it.

Cheers for all the good feedback lads :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Everlong1

I'm finding it a bit difficult to understand how you could have forgotten everything. Before you stopped playing, how long were you at it and what level of ability had you reached?

I would have thought it a bit like riding a bike myself, but that's just me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭il gatto

I had a hiatus of a few years where I didn't play much. Went back to it and thought I'd forgotten everything. It came back pretty quickly though. I did the opposite of what most people are suggesting. To kick myself up the ar5e I picked something I always wanted to play that was too hard before. First thing I learned was the first solo from November Rain. Took a couple of weeks but it was a great feeling and spurred me on. In the meantime, Youtube had happened and I couldn't believe what a resource it was. I learn better from videos than tab (hate it).
    For your fingers I'd suggest an electric. Lower action and less tension means you can double/treble playing time before the fingers sting.
    Stevie Ray Vaughan did cite Albert King as a mentor but I'm pretty sure he had some chops and serious talent before they hooked up.
    I think it's best to learn a few chords yourself before getting lessons initially because I feel it's a waste of time and money to have a guy try and place your fingers into a D chord for half an hour. There's enough info out there to make sure you get it right and then get lessons when your fingers go where you want more easily and you'll progress faster.

Everlong1 wrote: »
    I'm finding it a bit difficult to understand how you could have forgotten everything. Before you stopped playing, how long were you at it and what level of ability had you reached?

I would have thought it a bit like riding a bike myself, but that's just me.

Actually I tell a lie - once I sat down for a few hours on Saturday and Sunday, a few old riffs came back to me and the chords started to flow again - need to build up some strength in my index finger to fully execute barre chords though!

Also managed to learn a couple of new riffs off the new Muse album which I'm delighted about.

My problem in the past was I'd learn certain bits from certain songs but never bother to learn the full thing :(

il gatto wrote: »
    I had a hiatus of a few years where I didn't play much. Went back to it and thought I'd forgotten everything. It came back pretty quickly though. I did the opposite of what most people are suggesting. To kick myself up the ar5e I picked something I always wanted to play that was too hard before. First thing I learned was the first solo from November Rain. Took a couple of weeks but it was a great feeling and spurred me on. In the meantime, Youtube had happened and I couldn't believe what a resource it was. I learn better from videos than tab (hate it).
    For your fingers I'd suggest an electric. Lower action and less tension means you can double/treble playing time before the fingers sting.
    Stevie Ray Vaughan did cite Albert King as a mentor but I'm pretty sure he had some chops and serious talent before they hooked up.
    I think it's best to learn a few chords yourself before getting lessons initially because I feel it's a waste of time and money to have a guy try and place your fingers into a D chord for half an hour. There's enough info out there to make sure you get it right and then get lessons when your fingers go where you want more easily and you'll progress faster.

I'm getting an SG on thursday although my new neighbours might not be impressed with the noise :D

I'm getting an SG on thursday although my new neighbours might not be impressed with the noise :D

Tbh I play unplugged most of the time.'part laziness and partly because I play while I watch TV, which is easier with an unplugged electric than an acoustic. Buy a wide strap with rough leather on the back. SGs are notorious for neck dive.
    And I hear you about learning bits and pieces. Bad habit of mine which I've been trying to stamp out the last couple of years. Often I learn the hard bits and not the basic chords.

Tbh I play unplugged most of the time.'part laziness and partly because I play while I watch TV, which is easier with an unplugged electric than an acoustic. Buy a wide strap with rough leather on the back. SGs are notorious for neck dive.
    And I hear you about learning bits and pieces. Bad habit of mine which I've been trying to stamp out the last couple of years. Often I learn the hard bits and not the basic chords.

The stuff I like to listen to and play sounds so much better plugged in - also I'm a sucker for a distortion pedal so defo won't be playing unplugged anyways :D

Yeah like I've already learned the full intro to Muse 'Psycho' as well as half the solo but haven't a scooby how to play the verses even though its just 1 or 2 riffs

• Advertisement

The stuff I like to listen to and play sounds so much better plugged in - also I'm a sucker for a distortion pedal so defo won't be playing unplugged anyways :D

Yeah like I've already learned the full intro to Muse 'Psycho' as well as half the solo but haven't a scooby how to play the verses even though its just 1 or 2 riffs

I sometimes use GarageBand on the phone. The Vox emulator is epic. Must buy some of those Vox headphones. I have a 1watt amp but it's surprisingly loud. I suppose it "need" to be turned up.

I sometimes use GarageBand on the phone. The Vox emulator is epic. Must buy some of those Vox headphones. I have a 1watt amp but it's surprisingly loud. I suppose it "need" to be turned up.

I'll check it out.

It's just the fingers, man. The f**king fingers. Won't be doing any typing in the office today I tell thee :o

I'll check it out.

It's just the fingers, man. The f**king fingers. Won't be doing any typing in the office today I tell thee :o

Tell your boss it's for your art, without a hint of irony on your face. He'll understand.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 103 ✭✭Nom De Guerre

edit

Advertisement