Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How does inheritance affect the Susi Grant

Options
  • 21-05-2015 6:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

I'm going in to Second Year now and one of my parents will receive an inheritance of ~25000.

Will this be counted as normal income and push me out of the range of values for grant entitlement?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

lop11 wrote: »
    I'm going in to Second Year now and one of my parents will receive an inheritance of ~25000.

Will this be counted as normal income and push me out of the range of values for grant entitlement?

I THINK the grant is based on the income from the past year, so if there is an issue, it shouldn't kick in until next year. Gives you time to check it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Sup08

It is not counted as reckonable income once evidence is shown that it is inheritance.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 lop11

Sup08 wrote: »
    It is not counted as reckonable income once evidence is shown that it is inheritance.

This info is absolutely brilliant. Thank you. Was kind of worried.

This info is absolutely brilliant. Thank you. Was kind of worried.

I must mention in the unlikely event that the inheritance is not from a family member it maybe reckonable

For instance, if the inheritance is from a former employee, employer or customer of the recipient then it may be reckonable.

Monies inherited from family or extended family is not reckonable.

Sup08 wrote: »
    I must mention in the unlikely event that the inheritance is not from a family member it maybe reckonable

For instance, if the inheritance is from a former employee, employer or customer of the recipient then it may be reckonable.

Monies inherited from family or extended family is not reckonable.

Thanks a million.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 Buck Turgidson

From our direct experience, inheritance (from direct family member) IS taken as 100% reconable income by SUSI, so OP you may have a problem, as we have.

Hi iop11 and Buck,

Why not use the inheritance to put towards the cost of the education.

Seems like you both have received a helping hand, albeit not from susi

Hi iop11 and Buck,

Wow, thanks Brother Andy, (and Eternal)
    I never thought of it like that.
    Worthwhile contribution there.

(6) If any of the persons whose income is under consideration received gifts or inheritances in the reference period, these are included in reckonable income, unless—
    (a) in the case of an independent student, the gifts or inheritances were between the applicant and his or her spouse, civil partner or cohabitant;
    or
    (b) in the case of a dependent student, the gifts or inheritances were between parents or to the applicant from his or her parent(s).

If anyone who has reckonable income receives gift or inheritance from their parents the income is not reckonable.

From our direct experience, inheritance (from direct family member) IS taken as 100% reconable income by SUSI, so OP you may have a problem, as we have.

It's not Susi, but many years ago, when I was in college, one of my friends was getting a grant, and lost it one year because her father had inherited money from an uncle the year before.

Somehow I doubt they have eased up on that ruling.

• Advertisement

(b) in the case of a dependent student, the gifts or inheritances were between parents or to the applicant from his or her parent(s).

If anyone who has reckonable income receives gift or inheritance from their parents the income is not reckonable.[/quote]

Thanks for the reply. I initially read this to mean that I could inherit from my parents and it wouldn't change my reconable income on my kids application, but I see now that I was wrong?

Hi iop11 and Buck,

Hi Andy.

I didn't receive the inheritance, one of my parents did. I'm not on good terms with this parent however, and I don't believe I'd be able to convince them to provide me with any sort of finance.

Thanks for the advice though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

+1.

We received a small inheritance from someone this year and it pushed us over the limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Jamiegirl

So if my mum inherited 90k this year from her own mother then I will not be eligible for a student grant for next year. This means no maintenance grant, student contribution grant and no tuition fee grant. In other words I have to find at least 10k am I reading this correct?

Jamiegirl wrote: »
    So if my mum inherited 90k this year from her own mother then I will not be eligible for a student grant for next year. This means no maintenance grant, student contribution grant and no tuition fee grant. In other words I have to find at least 10k am I reading this correct?
    On the assumption, presumably, that your mother now has enough money to support you in your education... That's the way it works for thousands of students every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Jamiegirl

I'm not complaining, I just like to know where I stand that's all. My mum lives on a very low income and has used the money to buy a small property as she prevously rented.

Jamiegirl wrote: »
    I'm not complaining, I just like to know where I stand that's all. My mum lives on a very low income and has used the money to buy a small property as she prevously rented.
    Fair enough. But unfortunately if your parents have any money, you have to accept that they are expected to help finance your education. We weren't well off, but because my dad was a paye worker, we were just over the limit and I never got a penny help.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 drummyel

If anyone who has reckonable income receives gift or inheritance from their parents the income is not reckonable.[/quote

Does this count if its the parent that received it from their parent I received a small inheritance from my mother I got a newer more reliable car for work and paid some bills as I've always been a struggling single mum but the thought that it has pushed us way over the limit for my daughter going to do her master's is so depressing it was a relief to get rid of backedup bills and have a car that won't break down but the thought of her now being unable to achieve her master's is soul destroying of course if I have to sell the car I will but will probably loose money doing that too especially as it was a once off never to be got again inheritance that my parents had paid in taxes all the life to achieve

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭maggie magoo

I know this is an old thread but wondering if anyone knows if the date of inheritance goes by the date of death, which is on Revenue's CAT form? Due to different circumstances there was a delay in receiving inheritance & submitting CAT form to revenue and there's nearly 5 years since date of death but submission went in 2023 - wondering if it will affect son applying for grant this year. Inheritance mine, not his. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Firblog

AFIK the date of inheritance is reckoned to be is the date that the money was distributed by the executor of the will.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭maggie magoo

Thank you. I'll check it out but just wanted to get an idea.

Advertisement