Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cheap Golf membership in dublin

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 chis1

strokes1 wrote: »
    I couldnt go because of work- but thanks for asking people like me!!

I was at the mens AGM and there was no mention of it!

I was looking through the Accounts and I dont think things look very rosey!! The €3.6m loan was on a fixed rate, so what happens when it becomes variable! With such good offer on the table in 2010- the club still lost a net 76 members!! As I said in OP I just dont see how increasing existing member sub will keep "floating" members!

I dont think the club house is gonna be the best idea at all!!!

In hindsight the clubhouse probably wasn't the best idea but plenty of other clubs in that same boat. The club lost 76 members last year but how many new members did they get in?

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭strokes1

As I said: net 76 were lost last year- so obviously they got less new members than 76!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 484 ✭✭AldilaMan

I think the figures were in the region of 120 left the club and 45 new members joined.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭GetInTheHole!

A colleague got an email today from Palmerstown House about a special offer on membership of €1950 for the year.

This still seems expensive enough to me or am I missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭bustercherry

A colleague got an email today from Palmerstown House about a special offer on membership of €1950 for the year.

This still seems expensive enough to me or am I missing something?

Anyone played the course recently? I played it a few years back when I first started playing and it was in serious nick. Maybe a bit expensive but you do get full rights on the courses at Citywest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭ShriekingSheet

Anyone played the course recently? I played it a few years back when I first started playing and it was in serious nick. Maybe a bit expensive but you do get full rights on the courses at Citywest.

Do you have to get full rights to City West with the deal, or can you pay extra not to have this included? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭lazywhole

Is there any news on the EGM in swords open last tues. Also what day are the comps on in margarets.Are they sat and sun.I heard the price is gone down to 1300 euros. Can anyone confirm this ? Cheers for the good info

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭DH2K9

Glencullen Golf Club is €865

http://www.glencullengolfclub.com/page6.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭heavyballs

DH2K9 wrote: »
    Glencullen Golf Club is €865

http://www.glencullengolfclub.com/page6.htm

2 reasons why not to...........
    1.It's only nine hole and pretty boring.
    2.It's got more chicks on it that Hugh Hefner,great for any middle aged divorcee's(or maybe not)i'd say but f***in slow if you're trying to get home for the full Irish on Saturday morn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

lazywhole wrote: »
    Is there any news on the EGM in swords open last tues. Also what day are the comps on in margarets.Are they sat and sun.I heard the price is gone down to 1300 euros. Can anyone confirm this ? Cheers for the good info

Comps are Sunday morning, I don't know of the rates dropped. They only launched the few memberships offer recently, but maybe they did drop it. Place is like a ghost town whenever I have been there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 Public1

lazywhole wrote: »

Was at the EGM last Tuesday . 8 of 12 commitee members stepped down inc. Captain and Vice Captain . There was a lot of discussion as to the reasons why . Appeared to me as a new member to be a bit of a personality clash between some committee members and the owners which came to a head over money. Think there was a lot of things said and done in the heat of the moment which couldnt be taken back. It wasnt impressive as a new member of the club to witness.
    However there does seem to be a willingness on behalf of the members to put things right and the management seemed genuinely surprised that it got this far and have said forget about the money , lets just get back on track. The exisitng committee seemed determined to differentiate between Swords Golf Club and Swords Golf Course , but I think histircally they have been almost as one.
    Anyway , upshot is that the 8 committee members have been replaced and they are in the process of sorting a new captain etc.. and the outgoint committee have said they will help as much as they can, due the lack of experience on the committee now. I'm hoping they will have the drive in over the next few weeks and get back on track.

thanks for the update!
    Any word on whether Swords Open will get the BRS system for competitions?

One more point!
    My own course Hollywood Lakes was closed due to bad weather on Saturday ( probably the best day of the year so far- explain that one??) so we managed to get out at 8.30am to play the back 9 in Swords Open! The course was in great condition- couldnt fault it!

Fair play to Orla in the cabin for accommodating us!!

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Cosmic Penguin

Seriously considering Portmarnock Hotel at 2500. Have played the course a few times this year and it is in amazing nick.

Concerned over future of the course / club though. Any thoughts / advice welcome?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Galwaylad77

Druids Heath is a terrific trek, same designer as The European which in my opinion is the best in the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Galwaylad77

It lost the PGA over it's name and if rumours are to be believed it is suffering real cash flow problems

One more point!
    My own course Hollywood Lakes was closed due to bad weather on Saturday ( probably the best day of the year so far- explain that one??) so we managed to get out at 8.30am to play the back 9 in Swords Open! The course was in great condition- couldnt fault it!

Fair play to Orla in the cabin for accommodating us!!

Now you know why it's called Hollywood LAKES ! Have spent many a green fee with Orla at Swords Open when H/Lakes was closed. You'll also notice when H/Lakes is closed Roganstown will be open :mad:

So did you join Roganstown then?

So did you join Roganstown then?

Like you, I've stayed with the Lakes this year. Roganstown still looking for hello money which is against my principles in this climate.

• Advertisement

AldilaMan wrote: »
    Like you, I've stayed with the Lakes this year. Roganstown still looking for hello money which is against my principles in this climate.

They do have playing memberships.

Jimdagym wrote: »
    They do have playing memberships.

For €1460 ish a year I'd want voting rights. I've no interest in leasing from someone who's waiting for his share price to go back to ridiculous values like €15k. I'm pretty confident Roganstown will end up recruiting members without hello money in the next 2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭jay5296

Mountain view in Kilkenny, Ballyhale have good offers on membership. 450 seven day membership for year or 150 seven day for year and pay 10 euro each time you play.!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 318 ✭✭Unglika Norse

jay5296 wrote: »
    Mountain view in Kilkenny, Ballyhale have good offers on membership. 450 seven day membership for year or 150 seven day for year and pay 10 euro each time you play.!!!

Has the problem with the handicap situation been sorted out with the leinster branch

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭GetInTheHole!

jay5296 wrote: »

What part of Dublin is that in then? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 10 eel27

For €1460 ish a year I'd want voting rights. I've no interest in leasing from someone who's waiting for his share price to go back to ridiculous values like €15k. I'm pretty confident Roganstown will end up recruiting members without hello money in the next 2 years.
    Just to let you know that you would have voting rights if you joined Roganstown. The sub of 1439 gives you full membership with voting rights at the AGM. There is no joining fee (hello money!) anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Pdoghue

Baltinglass Golf Club are offering memberships for 750 for the remainder of 2011 and 2012.

Also offering a membership for 999 Euros for the remainder of 2011, 2012 and 2013.

That is unbelievably good value for a cracking course 1 hour from most parts of Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭golfwallah

Yes, Roganstown have dropped their “hello money”, but Turvey is gone out of business.
    The remaining clubs are scrambling for members – some are “up to their eyes “in debt, in receivership or losing lots of money.
    It’s now a buyers’ market – but to help you screen out the sales hype and make the right decision, you need good information on the pros and cons of various clubs.
    Some clubs have or had good facilities but are strapped financially (e.g. Turvey were selling 15 months membership last year for the 2010 price – but are gone now!!).
    Other clubs are member owned and controlled - so members get the best choices as regards tee times at weekends, etc. It’s complicated!
    Yet more clubs (with voting rights) in privately owned courses (e.g. Roganstown, Hollystown, Deer Park, Swords Open) or publicly owned courses (e.g. Elm Green, Corballis) have only limited control over peak tee time availability.
    You pay your money and take your chances. There are lots of pros & cons to take into account. Do your homework!
    Best to shop around for the club that ticks most boxes in terms of price, facilities, course maintenance standard / presentation, where your friends play, availability of tee times for members, friendliness, maturity, scenery, whether hilly of not, state of finances (yes, do ask for a copy of their audited accounts).
    Then try your selected few (at least 3 or 4) yourself – most clubs will give you a free trial round (or credit against membership) but you do have to ask.
    People shopping for a club can easily draw up a short list of clubs from information on club websites. For example, googling something like “golf club membership in Dublin 2011” is a good way to start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭Adiaga 2

Pdoghue wrote: »
    Baltinglass Golf Club are offering memberships for 750 for the remainder of 2011 and 2012.

Also offering a membership for 999 Euros for the remainder of 2011, 2012 and 2013.

That is unbelievably good value for a cracking course 1 hour from most parts of Dublin.

That is exceptional value for a really nice course.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭broders3

Hi guys and dolls. I live and work in Fairview and I have been considering taking the hit and paying the entrance fee to St. Anne's on Bull Island. It is the only course where I can comfortably drive to in the evenings after work. The entrance fee is 5k and the yearly membership is 1,000. I have played it twice and absolutely love it. Big fan of links golf in general. Is it worth taking the hit on the entrace fee? Thanks

no!
    Whats Clontarf charging?
    Is Deer Park too far away? Portmarnock is on offer for €1200 I think I read somewhere!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 TextingGuru

I have discovered having taken a one year leave from my club that I cannot play in semi opens anywhere as my handicap is frozen for the year. This is BS having to join a cheap club for a year somewhere down the country throw in 3 cards and get a new handicap. I should be entitled to take my year out to decide if I want to remain but in the meantime pay €x to the GUI covering my handicap for the year --- Corballis seems to be the best in Dublin to join cheap would anyone endorse that please?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭broders3

Just checked there and the Portmarnock membership is 2.5k for 7 day membership and 1.5k for a 4 day membership. Not sure what the old course costs but I'm pretty sure it would be out of my price range! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Sandwlch

I should be entitled to take my year out to decide if I want to remain but in the meantime pay €x to the GUI covering my handicap for the year

Why should you be entitled to do so?
    GUI decided to deny you a handicap if you are not a member of a club to discourage exactly the move you are making. And they can do what they wish. You can take it or leave it. You have no entitlement.

eel27 wrote: »
    Just to let you know that you would have voting rights if you joined Roganstown. The sub of 1439 gives you full membership with voting rights at the AGM. There is no joining fee (hello money!) anymore.

Things must be bad there cos it's only about 6 months since I posted that. Anyone any news on the finances/debt at Roganstown. Maybe IanMcg could clarify ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭davidrafferty

Things must be bad there cos it's only about 6 months since I posted that. Anyone any news on the finances/debt at Roganstown. Maybe IanMcg could clarify ?

You should be able to get a copy of their audited accounts through http://www.solocheck.ie/ (but there is a charge).

You should be able to get a copy of their audited accounts through http://www.solocheck.ie/ (but there is a charge).

Charges for audited accounts are small compared to the annual sub, if you're considering joining club where the club (one set of accounts) and course (separate set of accounts) are separately owned and controlled (e.g. Roganstown).
    Otherwise, people shopping around for a club to join should think about member owned and controlled clubs. If you ask, these clubs should have no problem giving you a copy of their latest audited accounts.

There has been no change. hat €1439 is still the annual sub for a playing membership, not a share membership.

Jimdagym wrote: »
    There has been no change. hat €1439 is still the annual sub for a playing membership, not a share membership.

You seem to be missing the point, Jim.

AldilaMan is talking about the finances & level of debt in the company that owns the course. This information can be got from the Companies Registration Office (CRO) or through a site like www.solocheck.ie.

To my knowledge, the club does not own the course nor the hotel .... or maybe you know a bit more and could explain.

I'm missing no point. Alidade man quoted two posts. One by him saying soon there would be no hello money soon and one by someone else saying it was free to join. I was clarifying the confusion and made no reference to accounts, which I know nothing about.
    Alidade man asked about the financial situation. He was not primarily discussing it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭davidrafferty

OK, the accounts can be a pain, but like it or not – finance is an important part of the decision to join any particular golf club.

Put simply, if you ignore the accounts and join a dud (like those who flocked to join Turvey last year “at bargain rates”), you are throwing your money away.

With so many clubs already making losses or facing them next year, you need to be careful about stumping up big fees (losses and big debts are easily identified in a set of accounts).

If you know nothing about accounts – and don’t ask someone to help you figure out if a club is a loss maker with big unserviceable debts – that’s the risk you take.

Taken from “Ireland’s road to recovery” by Carr Golf Services:
    “It’s a fact of modern life: golf courses need to make money, or they will cease to exist. Some gentile, member-owned clubs might still scoff at this grubby pursuit of capital, but nevertheless, pursue it they must”.

See also: “How do you avoid joining a golf club in financial difficulties?” on http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056124293&page=12
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭aidannulty

no!
    Whats Clontarf charging?
    Is Deer Park too far away? Portmarnock is on offer for €1200 I think I read somewhere!

which portmarnock club? i would join any of the portmarnock clubs for €1200!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Moate Golf

If you are interested in good value distance membership I suggest you try Moate Golf Club which is located on M6 motorway west of Dublin about 45 min from M50
    Currently full 7 day membership is available to distance members over 100 kilometers from club for €200
    Website www.moategolfclub.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭kyleman

Full membership is being offered to ex members of Mountrath golf club for just 290 euros.Great deal and greens are immaculate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,489 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Am in Kilcock Golf CLub and we are offering membership for 1050

Considering we invested 2million in updating the course...its a great deal

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 sreenair2012

Hi all I am new to boards.ie, I am new to golfing n would like to join any good cheap course..I would like to get 7days membership,n GUI handicap n insurance..can anyone pls help me..thanks..

• Registered Users Posts: 17 sarfraz.ramay

Silloge Park is offering cheapest membership i have come across to date. Thread seems to be too old and all the suggestions seem to be out of date.

Option 1: Mens Full Membership
    Was €630 NOW €490
    Membership of Silloge Park Golf Club
    Valid Until March 2016
    GUI Affiliation & Handicap
    All Green Fees Included

Option 2: Mens Pay & Play Membership

Was €290 NOW €225
    Valid Until March 2016
    Reduced Green Fees €12.50

sillogeparkgolfclub.com/golf-membership

Can someone please verify if its worth getting the option 2. I work full time so will only be able to play over the weekends. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 268 ✭✭Kid Charlemagne

Silloge Park is offering cheapest membership i have come across to date. Thread seems to be too old and all the suggestions seem to be out of date.

Option 1: Mens Full Membership
    Was €630 NOW €490
    Valid Until March 2016
    All Green Fees Included

Option 2: Mens Pay & Play Membership

Was €290 NOW €225
    Valid Until March 2016
    Reduced Green Fees €12.50

sillogeparkgolfclub.com/golf-membership

Can someone please verify if its worth getting the option 2. I work full time so will only be able to play over the weekends. Thanks.

Cant argue with the price but at a similar price range Corballis is a far superior track. Nothing wrong with Sillogue for the money but there are holes on Corballis that would grace any course in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 sarfraz.ramay

Corballis is far superior and has a better deal especially if one wants to play till the end of the year. They have a monthly plan available so that makes it even more convenient.

came across another good accessible option for people in dublin west.

Membership Packages 2015
    Citywest Resort Golf Club - GUI/ILGU Affiliated
    Enjoy the mature parkland setting of the Citywest Hotel from just €260
    Now is the ideal opportunity for you to join one of Dublin’s finest golfing facilities.
    The magnificent Championship course was designed by Christy O’Connor Jnr. and is one of the finest parkland courses in Ireland. With packages starting from only €260 per year and NO JOINING FEE, this is the perfect time to join.
    Pay as you play Membership
    Perfect flexibility at an excellent price. The Pay as you play membership offers a guaranteed rate of just €15 on the Championship course 7 days a week as well as the opportunity to participate in the full calendar of Club competitions and social events.
    €260

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Kingswood Rover

Blessington Lakes are offering full membership from now till the of Feb 2016 for 325 balloons, Pro rata discounts for anyone who took out minor membership this year great deal, less than 20 minutes from the M 50.

Advertisement