Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BTEA and summer work

Options
  • 05-06-2015 4:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭

Hey guys, so I'm moving back from BTEA to JSA for the summer and I am already working part time at the weekend, but now I have an opportunity for another full time job and work two jobs in the summer, full time is only for the summer but will finish before college starts again in September, but continuing part time when I go back to college. I'm aware that I will be means tested again for the summer months earnings but will BTEA be halted from working full-time?

Is it a good idea to be working two jobs for the summer or not? I think I might be shooting myself in the foot in the long run. Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭BonkeyDonker

donnyb28 wrote: »
    Hey guys, so I'm moving back from BTEA to JSA for the summer and I am already working part time at the weekend, but now I have an opportunity for another full time job and work two jobs in the summer, full time is only for the summer but will finish before college starts again in September, but continuing part time when I go back to college. I'm aware that I will be means tested again for the summer months earnings but will BTEA be halted from working full-time?

Is it a good idea to be working two jobs for the summer or not? I think I might be shooting myself in the foot in the long run. Any help appreciated.

You should not ne means tested for the full time work as long as you are finished and can prove the same i.e. P45 etc.

However, if you carry over either of them into next year then you will be means tested. If you stop both before you go back and are on your normal JSA claim then your BTEA should be ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭donnyb28

You should not ne means tested for the full time work as long as you are finished and can prove the same i.e. P45 etc.

However, if you carry over either of them into next year then you will be means tested. If you stop both before you go back and are on your normal JSA claim then your BTEA should be ok.

Cool thanks for that, appreciate it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭donnyb28

Just to update, my rate at the moment is €144 with each days worked deducted from that.

Is my JSA claim seen as a fresh application moving from BTEA, because If not should I not be on the €188 rate being 25, I was on JSA since 2012 and then moved to BTEA September 2013, before the rate changed to full payment for 26 year old in January 15 2014, see here:

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/unemployed_people/jobseekers_allowance.html

Any help appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 tommywise

Hi lads.

In a similiar situation. Now in 2015. Finishe 1st year of college as a mature student. Have secured Over a month work as cover for a lad getting married. From late July to early September or late August. Wondering can I go straight to BTEA after I finish work or have to sign on to JA first which is probably what I will do. I can't afford to go without BTEA through college as I'm only getting 5 or 6 weeks of work. So I guess my question is Should I get BTEA when I resume college or miss out?

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭BonkeyDonker

tommywise wrote: »
    Hi lads.

In a similiar situation. Now in 2015. Finishe 1st year of college as a mature student. Have secured Over a month work as cover for a lad getting married. From late July to early September or late August. Wondering can I go straight to BTEA after I finish work or have to sign on to JA first which is probably what I will do. I can't afford to go without BTEA through college as I'm only getting 5 or 6 weeks of work. So I guess my question is Should I get BTEA when I resume college or miss out?

You need to be on your normal JSA payment before you start back to college to qualify for the full BTEA - for the past three years I have always given myself a full week/ten days to make sure it all went smoothly and have had no issues.

Check with your local office - the ones I have dealt with (Dublin CC) have been understanding and will explain it to you properly.

• Advertisement
Advertisement