Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is Learning To Play The Guitar Hard?

• 03-07-2015 7:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭

How hard is it to learn to play the guitar as a beginner? The type of music I would be interested in learning to play would be Irish traditional ballad style, maybe the odd rebel song too. I fancy taking it up as a hobby. We have a neighbour who we're friendly with who is very good and who might well teach me the basics then I'd be looking to self-learn.

How much is a cheap acoustic guitar?

I also like the sound a banjo makes. Are they easier to learn and are they cheaper/more expensive? I would possibly plump for that if it was easier.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

No learning to play the guitar is not hard, but it takes time and dedication.

Having taught a good number of players, some, a very few, just did not have the timing nor the hand agility to be able to cut it. No matter how they tried.

I've been a drum tutor too, and some folk aint ever going to be able to play, no ear, no timing.

The most important thing is that you enjoy playing an instrument.

Traditional songs are a good place to start, especially if you just want to strum chords and sing along.

You could pick up a good enough guitar to learn on second hand, for €50 or less. But you get what you pay for.

Check out adverts.ie, there's loads there. Go for something like a Yamaha 310.

I don't play the banjo, but I would advise leaving that until you have started off on the guitar. Opportunities to play the banjo are limited. And not a great instrument to play on its own.

Do get someone to show you a few chords. Lots of You Tube videos, but you cant beat a guitar tutor to get you up and running.

But at the end of the day, you get out what you put in.

Can't resist a banjo joke:

"The definition of perfect pitch is when you throw a piano accordion on a skip and it lands on a banjo".

I shall temper my insult of the banjo by postin a fine little ditty with some fine banjo playing. Good luck and enjoy strumming.

PS: Buy a guitar tuner as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Very Bored

Thanks for the great advice. Is there any way I'd already know if I am devoid of timing or dexterity or is it only something I'd know once I started? I heard it hurts the fingers initially, it this true? Wouldn't put me off, I'm not that much of a wimp lol, just asking out of interest.

My brother plays guitar in a band and is pretty good. He says that it shouldn't take me too long, a few months or so, to learn songs I'm interested in playing (for example, I love the tune of the song Sean South). He plays hard rock though so he's not a ballad expert, is his estimation accurate?

If he's out gigging well I'd say his advice is sound.

The skin on your finger tips will harden. Nothing worse that that.

Timing: see if you can tap your foot or fingers in time with a song.
    Dexterity: Do exercises that increase dexterity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,453 ✭✭✭Rigsby

Another great banjo tune. Just goes to show that rather than the instrument, it is the genre and the musician that makes the difference. ;)

n7nJa315kPc

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

Don't worry too much about testing your dexterity etc before starting. This is not brain surgery. You're not auditioning gor Julliard. If you feel you want to do it, do it. Like with every instrument, you will need a little patience, but a few million people have managed to learn before, so you should manage if you really want it. I say go for it. If it doesnt work out, well that's fine. If it does, you're set for life!!!

Do it!

Dooooo iiiiit!

• Advertisement

Kettleson wrote: »
    If he's out gigging well I'd say his advice is sound.

The skin on your finger tips will harden. Nothing worse that that.

Timing: see if you can tap your foot or fingers in time with a song.
    Dexterity: Do exercises that increase dexterity.

I'd say my timing is OK, I can roughly tap along to songs and I can time when to join in with songs etc. properly.

In terms of dexterity, I'm not the most skilled sportsman in the world but at the same time I can catch a ball without any great difficulty, often one handed but given that I've got bigger hands than many people have feet that shouldn't be a huge surprise lol.

I am cack-handed though more clumsy than not having any hand control, and I don't have the most wonderful timing in the world, for example, I can't hear the timing in songs (I couldn't tell you what beat pattern Sean South has if I listened to it 1000 times for example), but I can do basic clapping patterns etc. with ease.

Oink wrote: »
    Don't worry too much about testing your dexterity etc before starting. This is not brain surgery. You're not auditioning gor Julliard. If you feel you want to do it, do it. Like with every instrument, you will need a little patience, but a few million people have managed to learn before, so you should manage if you really want it. I say go for it. If it doesnt work out, well that's fine. If it does, you're set for life!!!

Do it!

Dooooo iiiiit!

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I'd say my biggest problem will be my singing voice. As Billy Connolly said "I have a voice like a goose f*rting in the fog".

Very Bored wrote: »
    Thanks for the vote of confidence. I'd say my biggest problem will be my singing voice. As Billy Connolly said "I have a voice like a goose f*rting in the fog".

Now there's a strange thing, I was out during the week in a pub, a guy was playing guitar and singing and he sounded just like a goose farting in the fog, but no-one seemed to mind. Loads out there at it too, especially in "wedding bands".

• Advertisement

Now there's a strange thing, I was out during the week in a pub, a guy was playing guitar and singing and he sounded just like a goose farting in the fog, but no-one seemed to mind. Loads out there at it too, especially in "wedding bands".

Yeah, but there are those like Billy Connolly who say they sound like a goose farting in the fog but can actually sing and there are those like me lol...

I quite like his singing voice actually, OK he won't win any prizes any time soon for this part of his repetoire, but he can definitely keep a tune.

That said, my favourite rebel singer is Gary Óg, who isn't exactly the most gifted of vocalists. I just think he sings with passion which works with this type of music. Sorry about the icon on the video but I can't find the song on its own anywhere else.

I think you are absolutely right. You don't necessarily have to be a good singer to sing a great song.

Here's some more tips to get you started.

I think you are absolutely right. You don't necessarily have to be a good singer to sing a great song.

I think the passion is critical. An average everyday singer who can hold a tune sounds far better than an accomplished vocalist singing about something they aren't truly passionate about. That song by Billy Connolly almost brings a tear to the eye because you know he believes in every word of it. He's clearly never forgotten his Glaswegian roots and still has immense pride in being from Glasgow despite moving on from there. I feel its the same with Gary Óg. Ignoring the political arguments surrounding his style of music I believe he feels passionately about what he's singing about and it comes through in his voice. Its like anything in life when people do it with passion I guess.

Here's some more tips to get you started.

LOL, I better not let my wife see that.

a bit of fun.... And very true what you said about Billy Connolly. To capture and deliver such emotion is a wonderful thing.

Check out adverts.ie for guitars. Cant go too far wrong with a Yamaha 310.

Although I'd get your brother to check that any purchase is sound.

http://www.adverts.ie/for-sale/q_yamaha+310/

Check out adverts.ie for guitars. Cant go too far wrong with a Yamaha 310.

Although I'd get your brother to check that any purchase is sound.

http://www.adverts.ie/for-sale/q_yamaha+310/

Thanks. Is there any very basic guitar I can get that is cheaper than those prices? My brother told me to get a very cheap one in case I find after a couple of weeks I just don't like it then I can bin it and forget about it. I know you're recommending a decent basic model but is there any I can get that would suffice for now and I can move upwards if I enjoy it?

browse adverts for guitars in your area and price range.

This yamaha was sold for €15.

http://www.adverts.ie/acoustic-guitars/yamaha-acoustic-guitar/7787710

• Advertisement

browse adverts for guitars in your area and price range.

This yamaha was sold for €15.

http://www.adverts.ie/acoustic-guitars/yamaha-acoustic-guitar/7787710

Wow, that's good. I'll keep my eye out. Thanks for all the advice.

Great price, looks sold already but I'll keep my eyes peeled.

Can you explain something to me though?

I found this website which has a lot of the songs I would hope to be able to play...

http://www.irish-folk-songs.com/

I know this is a bit like trying to run before I can walk but he talks on the opening page of using only three chords in the songs because a lot of beginners go to his website. What I don't get though is what he's doing. If you look here:

http://www.irish-folk-songs.com/sean-south-from-garryowen-lyrics-guitar-chords.html

is he just using one chord all the way, for example, from It(D) to the(G) in the first line? If he is doing that then how is he making it sound like the song? Is it just the rhythm he's playing it at or do many songs contain the one chord for such a long period of time?

Also, is Gary Óg here playing it the same way or is he using more chords? His version sounds more complex somehow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭alb

Get an electric, get a copy of Rocksmith, it's incredible.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Great price, looks sold already but I'll keep my eyes peeled.

Can you explain something to me though?

I found this website which has a lot of the songs I would hope to be able to play...

http://www.irish-folk-songs.com/

I know this is a bit like trying to run before I can walk but he talks on the opening page of using only three chords in the songs because a lot of beginners go to his website. What I don't get though is what he's doing. If you look here:

http://www.irish-folk-songs.com/sean-south-from-garryowen-lyrics-guitar-chords.html

is he just using one chord all the way, for example, from It(D) to the(G) in the first line? If he is doing that then how is he making it sound like the song? Is it just the rhythm he's playing it at or do many songs contain the one chord for such a long period of time?

Also, is Gary Óg here playing it the same way or is he using more chords? His version sounds more complex somehow.

No guitar expert (probably only at about the modest level you are trying to get to tbh) but for most of those Irish songs you wish to play, you would maintain the same chord for that lenght of time. The two most important things are the rhythm/strumming pattern and somebody singing along. Hard to tell in the video over the other instruments but I would say there is 3/4 repeated chords max on the guitar in that version of Sean South.

Once you progress past beginner 101 up/down up/down .. You will find that alot of songs that sound quite different share the same chords and really only the strum pattern differs. That said alot of the time without somebody singing along you'd be hard pressed to identify the tune (Without singing often its not dissimilar to the challenge of guess what song I'm humming)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭padraig_f

No learning to play the guitar is not hard, but it takes time and dedication.

This. I tried to learn when I was younger, I thought it was going to be relatively quick, and grew disillusioned when I couldn't play anything well. I suspected it was maybe just lack of talent, and gave it up.

I returned to it again years later, maybe a bit older and wiser. And of course the internet makes things a bit easier now (though not easy), but I see now the time required. This is not such a bad thing though. It means most people can do it if they put in the time. And though it takes time, there are a lot of rewards along the way.

I'm still not where I want to be, but I practice every day now and can see progress. To the OP, my advice would be to schedule a daily practice time, even if it's short. If you leave it to when you feel like it, you won't do it enough.

Also don't think so much about the destination, the journey is the reward.

marco_polo wrote: »
    No guitar expert (probably only at about the modest level you are trying to get to tbh) but for most of those Irish songs you wish to play, you would maintain the same chord for that lenght of time. The two most important things are the rhythm/strumming pattern and somebody singing along. Hard to tell in the video over the other instruments but I would say there is 3/4 repeated chords max on the guitar in that version of Sean South.

Once you progress past beginner 101 up/down up/down .. You will find that alot of songs that sound quite different share the same chords and really only the strum pattern differs. That said alot of the time without somebody singing along you'd be hard pressed to identify the tune (Without singing often its not dissimilar to the challenge of guess what song I'm humming)

OK, I understand now, thanks for the explanation. So with Gary Óg its more the blend of sound that makes it seem more complex than his own guitar playing. So basically, as a soloist, at least initially, you're trying to get to a level where you can play something reasonably resemblant enough to sing along to, sounds doable at least.
    padraig_f wrote: »
    This. I tried to learn when I was younger, I thought it was going to be relatively quick, and grew disillusioned when I couldn't play anything well. I suspected it was maybe just lack of talent, and gave it up.

I returned to it again years later, maybe a bit older and wiser. And of course the internet makes things a bit easier now (though not easy), but I see now the time required. This is not such a bad thing though. It means most people can do it if they put in the time. And though it takes time, there are a lot of rewards along the way.

I'm still not where I want to be, but I practice every day now and can see progress. To the OP, my advice would be to schedule a daily practice time, even if it's short. If you leave it to when you feel like it, you won't do it enough.

Also don't think so much about the destination, the journey is the reward.

Thanks, to be honest, I know it will take time. I don't mind putting the effort in, I self-taught myself Italian and that took time but I'm at a stage now where I can use it proficiently. I don't mind putting in the hours I would just hope it won't take six months for me to learn to play baa baa black sheep lol.

One other question, how useful is that website I linked to if it only shows the chords? Do you not also have to know which key to play in by pressing the chord at different points along the arm of the guitar (you can see how much of a novice I am by my terminology eh lol)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

One other question, how useful is that website I linked to if it only shows the chords? Do you not also have to know which key to play in by pressing the chord at different points along the arm of the guitar (you can see how much of a novice I am by my terminology eh lol)?

When learning you want to start with open chords. There is plenty of time to learn the other forms as you advance.
    Learn all the open forms first like D major,minor,7, sus etc.. Most songs can be player with open chords anyway,just use a capo.

If you can play all the open chords you would be doing well. Learn the bass notes for each chord too. Otherwise it will sound weird if you play for example the low E with a D major chord..
    Also learning the bass notes will help with playing bass lines in songs later on.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

There is quite a bit of moderately complex chord theory behind it but for beginner purposes, as you move up the fret board each cord shape becomes a different chord. The chart in the link shows what happen as you use the C chord on different steps. In simple terms every two frets the same chord shape moves up one step. C to D, D to E and so on, so there are many ways to play a chord.

http://www.irishmusicdaily.com/key-converter-capo-chord-charts

marco_polo wrote: »
    There is quite a bit of moderately complex chord theory behind it but for beginner purposes, as you move up the fret board each cord shape becomes a different chord. The chart in the link shows what happen as you use the C chord on different steps. In simple terms every two frets the same chord shape moves up one step. C to D, D to E and so on, so there are many ways to play a chord.

http://www.irishmusicdaily.com/key-converter-capo-chord-charts

OK, now I understand thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Lazerwolf

I don't know about banjos or rebel song or Irish traditional ballads. However, you can get a cheap guitar for about $50. I would recommend getting a more expensive one, though. You could get a decent used one for $100-$200. Guitar is not hard to learn if you just want to strum chords and you are playing simple tunes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 ninja_pat

I started guitar myself about a year ago with no experience of instruments, except from playing uke for a few months. I would highly recommend justinguitar.com. At the time I bought the guitar in opus (Cork) the shopkeeper recommended Justin's book, which REALLY helped getting started. The website include the same content of the book and its FREE. I have been using it and have gone from total newbie to being comfortable strumming and finger picking. It can be challenging at times, but if you put in the work (and the site really helps to get you into a structured routine), you will get massive benefits relatively quickly. If in doubt, just give me a shout, I'm more than happy to help.

ninja_pat wrote: »
    I started guitar myself about a year ago with no experience of instruments, except from playing uke for a few months. I would highly recommend justinguitar.com. At the time I bought the guitar in opus (Cork) the shopkeeper recommended Justin's book, which REALLY helped getting started. The website include the same content of the book and its FREE. I have been using it and have gone from total newbie to being comfortable strumming and finger picking. It can be challenging at times, but if you put in the work (and the site really helps to get you into a structured routine), you will get massive benefits relatively quickly. If in doubt, just give me a shout, I'm more than happy to help.

Great, thank-you :)! I will definitely give it a look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Magnate

Jamplay.com is another great resource that I'd recommend. If you sign up for a free trial it gives you unlimited access to a few different lessons. There's a 10 hour beginner acoustic course by Steve Eulberg that covers everything you need to know. Justinguitar is good too, along with Marty Schwartz, another youtube teacher.

Here's a direct link to the course once you register -> http://members.jamplay.com/guitar/phase-1/series/1-basic-guitar-with-steve-eulberg

While I believe it's entirely possible to learn online without a teacher, if you don't have the right foundation it can leave you with knowledge gaps that end up holding you back as they can be hard to identify in the first place.

• Advertisement
Advertisement