Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oiling/Cleaning Acoustic Guitar Fingerboard

Options
  • 03-07-2015 10:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I recently purchased a used 6 string acoustic K Yairi (FY40B) made in 1974.

I'm just about to change strings and wanted to know the best way to clean the finger board and if I should be applying oil or any other treatment?

Neck is made of Indonesian Mahogany. Fingerboard Indian Rosewood.

The fingerboard neck looks like its a bit dry at first fret, and after the 12 frets. and fingerboard inbetween look like it hasn't been treated with anything or cleaned for a long time.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Strings.ie

Get as much gunk off as you can with a cloth then on with the Lemon Oil and work it in, especially to the dry parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭Rigsby

One thing.....whatever you use....a little is a lot. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

Cheers Rigsby/Strings.ie.

I'd appreciate your opinions here. I have a few vintage acoustics, Nippon Gakki Yamaha FG 140 (1968), Yam Tan label FG75 (70's) K Yairi WY300, (1974), K Yairi FY40B (1976), and a Martin RS1 (more recent).

I was thinking that they would benefit from a bone nut and bridge replacement?

Would it be standard enough to get a luthier to replace the plastic with bone, or should I leave well enough alone? Typical cost? Thanks for any advice.

Advertisement