Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Self build - electric time

Options
  • 16-04-2014 11:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭

We're around to electrics and after some general info on sourcing cosmetic material such as switch plates, light fittings etc. Can anyone recommend good suppliers?

Also, are these commonly purchased and supplied by customer and fitted by electrician or could/should I be asking the electrician to purchase at the lower 13% vat rate?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Recomendations by PM only...please.

I would think it prudent that the electrician supply and fit the sockets, switches, etc. - to your selection/specification - that way, if there is a problem in the future (e.g. a faulty socket) it eliminates the blame game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Curious Geroge

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Recomendations by PM only...please.

I would think it prudent that the electrician supply and fit the sockets, switches, etc. - to your selection/specification - that way, if there is a problem in the future (e.g. a faulty socket) it eliminates the blame game.

Thanks DOCARCH, I should have said and just to confirm, electrician would fit them, but if supplied and fitted, should the cost be 13.5% VAT and not 23% on the material ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

Thanks DOCARCH, I should have said and just to confirm, electrician would fit them, but if supplied and fitted, should the cost be 13.5% VAT and not 23% on the material ?

Your Electrician will purchase the items from his wholesaler, and pay VAT at 23%.
    However assuming he is registered for VAT, he can claim that VAT back.

So now he fits the items for you, and charges you, the item cost, plus a margin of profit, plus the Labour charge, PLUS Vat at 13.5%.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭tedimc

George, I would actually recommend sourcing your own. There are a number of major trade brands out there and if the style of switch/socket/etc is important to you (as it is with me) then go to a lot of the electrical stores, pick up catalogues and pick a brand you like.

If you price around for a batch then you'll probably get a better price yourself.

Even regarding the blame game - if the electrician wires the place correctly, worse that can happen is a switch doesn't work or a plug is dead.

Advertisement