Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new road bike tyres

Options
  • 15-10-2013 9:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭

Hi. Need to change tyres. I currently have the stock Giant tyres that came on my Giant Defy which have served me well, not one puncture on them. The size of these tyres are 700 x 23c, but it was suggested to me that I might be better with a change in size to something like 700 x 25. I usually cycle on a mixture of poor/decent/good tarmac regional and tar n chip bog roads. So a real mixture of road types and quite hilly terrain. Suggestions for size, type and any other advice most welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,581 ✭✭✭billyhead

Just curious and perhaps someone else can answer my other query on this but why are you thinking of replacing your tyres. Have they run their course and the tread is totally worn. How do other posters know when tyres need replacing. Is it when you start getting frequent flats or is after using them for a certain distance i.e 2500-3000km that they need to be changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭gooner99

billyhead wrote: »
    Just curious and perhaps someone else can answer my other query on this but why are you thinking of replacing your tyres. Have they run their course and the tread is totally worn. How do other posters know when tyres need replacing. Is it when you start getting frequent flats or is after using them for a certain distance i.e 2500-3000km that they need to be changed.

Hmmm this is my first road bike so I'm also struggling to know when they are worn. Easier to see on a mountain bike tyre. There are some little cracks coming on the sidewalls, so not sure if that's a sign. I need to get the gears adjusted, so will double check then. This set have about 1500k on them. So while I'm asking what I should go for, I should also be asking how do I know when they are worn?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

I have the same bike & only yesterday changed my giant 700x23mm to Gatorskins 700x25mm.
    €40 per tyre.

So far they are going well.

I was getting lots of punctures on the Giant stock tyres as I cycle through the city centre & the roads are brutal and the Gatorskins came recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Briando

gooner99 wrote: »
    Hi. Need to change tyres. I currently have the stock Giant tyres that came on my Giant Defy which have served me well, not one puncture on them. The size of these tyres are 700 x 23c, but it was suggested to me that I might be better with a change in size to something like 700 x 25. I usually cycle on a mixture of poor/decent/good tarmac regional and tar n chip bog roads. So a real mixture of road types and quite hilly terrain. Suggestions for size, type and any other advice most welcome.

700x25c Conti 4Seasons!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

Briando wrote: »
    700x25c Conti 4Seasons!

This. Except Conti 4 Seasons come in sizes up to 28mm and google tells me a Giant Defy would fit them.

So, 700x28c Conti 4Seasons... even more comfort!

• Advertisement
Advertisement